By Fenix15

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hey all,

Just finished restoring my WhiteWater pinball and putting it back together but there's one problem that seems to constantly plague my game. The No Way Out kicker likes to fire extra times, usually just after popping a ball up. Sometimes it's one extra time, sometimes two extra times, sometimes multiple times.

The optos appear to work but there was one time one of them (I believe the center one) kept reading open. I haven't been able to reproduce that issue. This mech is confusing, it looks like a coil followed by a spring-loaded popper. It seems fine, but I have no way of knowing.

What do I do? Do I just replace all of the optos or get an entire new mech assembly or is there something else going on? It's impossible to test the optos while the solenoid is firing, which is usually when the problem happens.

#2 2 years ago

It is probably the opto. You can put the game into switch test and bang around the playfield and see if you can get it to trigger from vibration. If so, check the solder joints for the opto itself, the connectors and you might even need to re-do the connectors as the wire in the IDC pin might be making poor or intermittent contact.

#3 2 years ago

I see. Does it fire from any of the optos triggering or just the opto pair nearest the popper?

#4 2 years ago

Just the set for the popper - unless you had a switch matrix issue but lets just test this set for now.

#5 2 years ago

Understood. As soon as I get access to the machine again I'll do a vibration test and check the opto pair closest to the popper.

#6 2 years ago

Make sure the correct optos are plugged in, & there aren't another pair to mix up when you put it back together.

#7 2 years ago

Update: did some tests on the game. Banged around everywhere (including upper playfield) and I'm not getting any beeps or unusual behavior. All of the optos in there are working fine, at least for now.

Went back into attract mode and just kept feeding balls into No Way Out and letting it pop the balls up and waiting. Not a single extra kick now. Even let the solenoid test run for a bit and it's behaving.

Either this problem is really intermittent or I'm losing my mind. I bought a handful of optos anyway just so I have parts on hand. I'm still suspicious.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Fenix15:

I'm still suspicious.

It’s entirely possible those optos just need a tad bit of windex on a q-tip to clean them up. Dirt or any other blockages can cause all sorts of obnoxious intermittent issues. Could just be a stray bit of wax that made it over the lense after your rebuild.

2 months later
#9 2 years ago

Update: just went ahead and replaced all 6 optos. They were all factory original and 30 years old so I decided to save myself a headache later. Haven't had a problem since!

Thanks, everyone!

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Fenix15:

Update: just went ahead and replaced all 6 optos. They were all factory original and 30 years old so I decided to save myself a headache later. Haven't had a problem since!
Thanks, everyone!

Where did you order from?

1 week later
#11 1 year ago
Quoted from RumRunner9:

Where did you order from?

I bought the optos from Marco Specialties. You can buy them with or without the plastic case, I saved some money and just used my old cases on the new opto boards. Easy access from underneath the playfield and some soldering later, she's good as new!

#12 1 year ago

Thx

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

17,250 (OBO)
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitewater-no-way-out-popper-keeps-firing-randomly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.