New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 57710)

WHITEWATER CLUB= Lifejackets not required

By Skypilot

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,362 posts
  • 489 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by Davi
  • Topic is favorited by 227 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,504 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F429F7B6-9142-40AB-AEA5-4CE46240A816.jpeg
C05E849C-B197-400A-B1B9-40414DE1FD2F.jpeg
18C09AC6-EEAB-4002-9FF9-5A265B7D8D01 (resized).jpeg
7ACF7744-BA67-46C1-8144-25DBC1BF82BD (resized).jpeg
wh2o pin2dmd.gif
CA3F263C-C873-4373-A8B9-172C14C8A9A6 (resized).jpeg
DE72E216-25DD-4FF7-8287-FD572CAC1EC0 (resized).jpeg
20201123_201352 (resized).jpg
20201123_201329 (resized).jpg
PXL_20201123_004512569.jpg
20200524_210819 (resized).jpg
txERL8dqQeW86aA6ZgfgkQ (resized).jpg
Battery Board04 (resized).jpg
Battery Board03 (resized).jpg
Battery Board01 (resized).jpg
Battery Board02 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1898 4 years ago

Just rejoined the club two days ago.
Scored a garage find Whitewater for only $1400!!!
Only issue was the typical battery corrosion from non pinball people leaving a game in a garage for a year.
Now I have to replace the smaller size female plugs on the bottom of the MPU board.
Photo below.
Are these the .100 size or the .156 size? Can't remember which is the small one but guessing I need the .100
Also who sells the housing and pins. I already have a crimper tool.

IMG_1849_(resized).JPG

#1899 4 years ago

Here is a photo before and after the first preliminary cleaning.
Playfield is nice but both cabinet sides are pretty faded in the lettering.

IMG_1844_(resized).JPG

IMG_1845_(resized).JPG

#1901 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Lot more issues than that...but for $1400 not a complaint will be heard; Welcome!

I know right?
The MPU board was so full of green crud it was incredible.
But I have a shiny new Rottendog bare bones board on the way so I can transfer my Asic chip and game Rom over to it.
Just need to know where to get these connectors and pins.
Looks like they are pinned and not IDC like the larger ones on the other boards.

#1904 4 years ago

Just looked. I have L4 as well

#1907 4 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Great Plains Electronics will have everything you need. Great place to deal with.

Thanks. I will check them out.
Anyone know what size pins and connectors?

#1910 4 years ago

Thanks guys. I will order the new parts tonight.
I am still in disbelief that a Whitewater fell in my lap at such a great price.
Guess the days of great deals are not completely gone.

#1915 4 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Excellent score, congratulations. The big question - does it have the topper ?

Yes. Working topper with dome.
However, they did put 555 bulbs in it which of course burnt out and turned a nice sliver color. I have some #194 bulbs on order already.

1 week later
#1927 4 years ago

Ok guys. Help me out a bit.
The Whitewater manual shows a rubber ring stretched across the top two post like in the photo.
However this make no sense to me because the ball would only make it in the lower area from a left flipper tip shot and why would anyone ever shoot that shot just to hit a couple of stand up switches?
So I just put on post rings like the other photo shows so the ball can get in there from the pops as well.
Has the manual lost its mind or me?

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#1930 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies.
So far I like added challenge of the ball ending up in that area.
I have not had a lot of right lane drains because of it.
It is pretty easy to pop it to safety.
And that area seems like a huge waste of space with the rubber keeping the ball out.
But I can see how people might like the added safety.
That said, one reason I did it, is because my son happens to be last years State Champion and even though our opto is broken making the left ramp shots not register at all, he was still able to beat the game and complete his vacation planner on his third game.
Not an easy thing to do without a left ramp active.
We keep all our games set as hard as we can or he would be playing all day.

#1932 4 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Using the kickback targets and the disaster drop ramp are how I often make the left ramp shot. You may want to take out the post above the pop bumper as it will give more action that way. No point in it being there if you aren't going to have the rubber across it.

Good idea.
Thanks

#1944 4 years ago

Anybody have a spare lost mine kick out sticker they would like to sell?
I could use one. I did not mind paying $7 for the sticker but could not justify the $11 shipping.
If not I will just have to wait until I need something else from their web page.
I emailed Little Shop of Games to see if the could do anything about it and never heard back, so I am guessing no.

2 weeks later
#1969 4 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I decided to stupidly melt two of my ramps on the top rack of the dishwasher today. Gone are the Whirlpool ramp and the Upper to Lower ramp. May they rest in peace...
So it goes without saying that I am looking to buy. Before I buy new ones I thought I'd ask in here. Has anyone replaced any/all of their ramps and is looking to sell the old ones?

Wow. That sucks.
But they sure look clean.

1 month later
#2014 4 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I can't stand the ice White Water but to each their own. I would personally never buy one that has been converted to winter.
The red LEDs for the whirlpool make sense because the whirlpool LED on the upper PF (sign) is also red. However, I've been thinking of using Comet's ICE blue for the whirlpool. Regular blue is too damn blue, but ice or light blue is not as drastic.

We did just that.
We have Comet's Ice blue under the whirlpool and in a few choice spots under the upper ramps. All the rest are cool white.
I think it looks great. Not overly blue but gets the water point across on the ramps and whirlpool.

4 months later
#2256 3 years ago
Quoted from mbabischkin:

Hi all, new to Pinside but not to White Water...
We purchased our White Water about 13 years ago, and it's a well traveled machine...
It was a re-import from Holland that came from a container import of pins. We got it for a steal because he did no resto on it, just converted it to 110 on the spot and delivered it to out house. (Plus the guy was going through a nasty divorce and trying to dump every asset he could to keep his wife from getting anything). When we pulled the glass for the first time we actually found Dutch guilder coins wedged underneath the locking bar.
Since getting it, we've done a few deep scrubs of the play field and ramps that are accessible as well as the general maintenance bits to keep the pin operational. I recently replaced all of the builders but other than that the pin is largely unrestored and un modded.
As for the well-traveled bit... Bought it in MD and it was delivered to us in VA... Moved it to CA and then to OH - and in case your wondering, movers seem to universally hate moving pins...

Nice story.
Took me awhile to realize builders were boulders.

2 months later
#2412 3 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Does anyone know where to get a 3D translite? I'm keen to buy one

Planatery had them and so did Bay Area Amusements.
Both are sold out.
I did get one and it is awesome. Hope they do another run sometime.

#2415 3 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

How long ago did you buy it?
I've been looking for awhile now. Curious if I missed it.

I think I purchased mine around August or September.
I know I already had it when I went to the Expo in October.

2 weeks later
#2471 3 years ago

More of a tech question but why not start here since it is Whitewater.
On my game, sometimes the sound will just cut out all together.
However if I turn the game off and back on it works great again.
This is happening more and more so something is starting to go.
Any ideas what part of the sound board it might be?

#2476 3 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

Try reseating all ribbon connectors and anything associated with the sound board. Also try pushing home the ASIC chip (big square chip) gently on all sides. This has been linked to intermittent sound problems in the past.

Thanks for the reply.
Will do.

2 months later
#2559 3 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I might be selling my whitewater. PM me for details.

Once you post that, you are indeed selling your Whitewater. Lol
The vultures will swoop.

4 months later
#2676 3 years ago

Blue is the way to go with the whirlpool.
Looks much better then the red.

#2714 3 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

I like it...and it is my game so they will stay.

We used the Comet Ice Blue in certain areas. Not as dark and harsh as a regular blue. But most any blue is better the red under the whirlpool.

4 weeks later
#2747 3 years ago

Noticed my upper playfield flipper was acting up so I went to put on a new coil sleeve and coil stop.
This is the first one I have pulled off where the coil stop had actually cracked in half as well as had the metal stop part jammed inside the coil sleeve. (Photo)
While I was under there I decided I may as well replace the linkage rod as well.
Arrrrgh, the did not leave enough room to remove it!!!
No problem I thought I'll just unscrew the two little Phillips head screws on the first little bracket the rod slips into and it will just come right out.
Nope. The damn little screws are in so tight that I am just stripping the heads.

Edit--- Finally just kept trying different tools until I finally got those two damn screws out. It was a pain in the ass but it sure saved me a ton of work.

IMG_4742 (resized).JPG

#2756 3 years ago

While I was getting those two damn screws out of my flipper coil part, (Finally got them out),
I happened to see the part that Pladium was asking about right in front of my face. lol
But just got back to Pinside to see 6 new posts on it. lol

People who think Pinside is all bitching and whining must never ask for tech help because I always find the best people on these boards.

2 months later
#2851 2 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

Hi Allibaster
You’re right... we messed up here. And I did say that I would give you a partial refund and I thought I did. Please forgive us for we had such a rush on orders for Christmas.. a few orders did get messed up but we quickly fixed the issue once they were realized. We will and always take care of our customers. We have one of the best customer service in the business and we stand by our products. I sorry you caught us at a bad moment but you will not be disappointed should you choose to order from us again.
Best
-JR

Glad to hear that Joe.
We have these same decals on our game and love them.
When installing ours we always use 2 people and spray the inside of the cabinet with water first.
It allows us to slide the decal perfectly into place every time.

2 months later
#2967 2 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Blue is dumb!! Love it thats funny as hell!! I will stick with the red ones thx.

Put the color you think it should be and that you enjoy.
Personally I don't like red or the normal dark blue bulbs.
But Comet makes an Ice Blue color that looks amazing under the whirlpool.

4 weeks later
#2978 2 years ago

Thought I would post this "Tutorial/Vacation" video my son did a couple of days ago for all you Whitewater fans.
Enjoy.

3 months later
#3061 2 years ago

Our game had that ring.
Removed it as soon as we shopped it out.

2 weeks later
#3168 2 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Anyone still making the missing boulder?
also the round mine pf decal. bought one a few years ago but forgot where

I am in for a Mine playfield decal as well.
If I remember correctly the shipping for it was crazy if you were not getting a large order to throw it in with.

2 weeks later
#3201 2 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Just got my first Vacation Jackpot!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome. Congrats.
Are you using Roms that remember the Class River from ball to ball?
Or did you get advance to class 6 from the mystery?
Or did you do it the hard way, earning it all in 1 ball?
Great game.

#3206 2 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Does such a ROM exist?

That is what I have heard.
Maybe it is the home rom.
Surely someone in this group knows which version it is.

#3208 2 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

It is not the home version.

Thanks.
One down.

Edit. Looks like it is LH6
Here is a post about it from some years ago.

"LH-6 adds a light show, fixes the river class carry-over, and other issues. Just can't use coins."

Though I also read that LH6 was the Home Rom version. So still a little confused.

#3223 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

River class DOES NOT carry over unless you activate the hold bonus award in LH-6 (only to the next ball). This did not work correctly before LH-6.
It does stay lit as a pre-req of Wet Willies once you complete it at any time in LH-6

Thanks for the clarification

8 months later
#4053 1 year ago

Finally got tired of my Whitewater sound board quitting during a game randomly, so I ordered a Pinsound plus from K’s Arcade. Any tips or tricks from any of you that have done the same?
Or do I simply just plug this in, download the sound rom and enjoy better sound.

#4056 1 year ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Let us know how it goes, this is one I would be curious to try as well. (never installed one so unfortunately I'm no help on your question)

I certainly will.
I know from another thread that there is some guy that is really good with sound that is doing a completely new sound package for this game but he just can never seem to find the time required to complete it.
Maybe someday.

#4060 1 year ago
Quoted from J67ab:

What’s the deal with that, I get some dropout on mine and it was repaired a couple months back.

I have tried replacing caps and cables but no luck.
Sound will just quit. Only way to get it back is to reboot the game. But that does not even work 100% of the time.
Then other times it will pick one note and just keep playing it non stop until I shut the game down.
Very frustrating because sometimes I can play 3 or 4 games with no problem at all.
It is very sporadic in its behavior.

#4070 1 year ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Let us know how it goes, this is one I would be curious to try as well. (never installed one so unfortunately I'm no help on your question)

Just got my Pinsound+ board in the mail today.
My opinion so far is underwhelming.
But I have posted on their forum page and will give this a bit of time.
However if what I am hearing now is as good as it gets, my old board will certainly be going back in my game.
Why oh why is every pinball board in the world reproduced but Bally/Williams sound? Arrrrrgh.

#4073 1 year ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Default behavior should sound equal or better than the Williams audio board. What's the issue? A speaker upgrade helped improve the sound in mine.
Perhaps consider a different mix or faster USB drive.
But the truly exciting (and exhausting 4yr wait!) opportunity involves @endprodukt 's re-orchestration mix. I hope he finishes and releases it soon.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-reorchestration-for-pinsound-and-warren-davis#post-2001963

I agree. the reorchestration samples put out so far sound fantastic.
I tried the upgraded call outs package that one guy did, and while they do sound great, the voices used are just not for me.
My out of the box experience has not been great.
Some of the voices will sound like they are talking underwater and the sound levels for the music are all over the place. Some music is very soft and other sounds will blow your ears off.

#4077 1 year ago

Well here is my final report on the Pinsound board.

It is a great product if what you are after is new cool music and callouts for your game. For this purpose the card is a beast and blows away the original sound card. And it has some cool features like a headphone jack and direct sub output. (But I already have Pinnovators hooked to my old board that already does all of that. At this point in time there are really no super cool download options for Whitewater though. One guy redid some of the callouts but the voice work is just not for me.

However, if you want original game rom sounds done perfectly like the original board does, you are pretty much out of luck.
I will admit that it comes close to doing this, and maybe going the extra mile by spending another $150 on upgraded speakers might help, but there is no way I can justify all the money the board and speakers cost to not be satisfied with the way my game is sounding right now.
And it is not just me, my entire family and everyone I have had stop by to listen, agrees that the original Williams sound board is faster and does not leave out any sounds like this board does. I forgot to mention that it sometimes just skips callouts or sounds whenever it feels like it. Arrrrgh.
I am even using a fast USB 3.0 thumb drive but since the wave files are not stored on the actual sound card, it just can't seem to always keep up.
So I will of course be listing my Pinsound+ for sale soon and I will nurse my existing sound card along for as long as it lives or until some company finally starts making replacement boards for these games.

#4086 1 year ago
Quoted from zene10:

I had great luck with the DIY sound upgrade (speakers & sub + crossover). The difference was night and day.
Two years in a row at TPF people have asked about the great sound.
I followed “Tony's Do-It-Yourself Guide to Speaker Replacement on WPC-Era Bally/Williams Pinball Machines”
http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitewater-club-lifejackets-not-required/page/65#post-4611936

Thanks.
I'm sure if I throw more money at it, it would sound a bit better.
Just not $600 better then my old card and I will get all the callouts and not have it randomly skip some.
To each his own, Pinsound is just not the product I was hoping it would be for me and my family.

#4088 1 year ago
Quoted from zene10:

After you sell your kit, the DIY route is easily less than $100

Yes.
I can see doing that.
Thanks for the tips.

#4091 1 year ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

When my boards act up, I send them to CoinOp Cauldron. They come back fixed, Clive tells me what he did to fix them, and usually tells me any other preventative maintenance he's done. So, when all else fails (or you just don't feel like messing with it) send it off for repair.
As for the sound, I know that people often complain about Whitewater's sound, but I'm fine with the stock sound and unless you are very meticulous (like Endprodukt) whatever you replace the stock sounds with will probably not be comparable to the original sounds. Unless and until Endprodukt finishes his work, I can't see the value in paying for a Pinsound for this game vs repairing the original board.

I certainly agree with all of this.
Old sound board is back in and sounding great.
For the most part it works great and I love the way the game sounds so much better then the way it did with Pinsound.
If the problem gets so bad that I can't play a few games without it messing up I will send it off to someone.
Pinsound board already listed in the market place.

#4095 1 year ago
Quoted from Playdium:

I spoke to a guy a year or so ago that manufactured replacement boards for Williams machines. He did runs of 30 or so at a time. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Looking for his name and contact.

Interesting.
Which boards?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stevenson Ranch, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside