B8BA9A6E-75A3-4AC4-9AC4-142975D1376A (resized).jpeg
2021-11-12 14_16_37-Photo - Google Photos (resized).png
2021-11-12 14_17_02-Photo - Google Photos (resized).png
WH20 Radcals-1 (resized).jpeg
WH20 Radcals-2. (resized).jpeg
20211107_205741 (resized).jpg
IMG_1392 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1399 (resized).jpeg

There are 6,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 124.
#501 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Yep. That's the one. Anybody??

Unless you are looking for a DIY solution, here's an option.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2486

#502 7 years ago

One thing I really like about this machine is the music. No one ever comments about this, and some people I know never really even noticed this before with their own machine, but the main theme song continues to grow and add elements to it the more rafts you get.

Each raft adds either another instrument or a more livelier use of it to the main song, and the song keeps getting stronger, and more complex, until by Wet Willies it’s really built up. Very subtle but really cool.

Was there some Ravel’s Bolero inspiring this I wonder ?

#503 7 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

I would like to do it myself...going to be doing a full restoration on a beater I have and want to get everything done/ready at the same time.

#504 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

I would like to do it myself...going to be doing a full restoration on a beater I have and want to get everything done/ready at the same time.

It requires a daugher pcb that you'd need to develop.

#505 7 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

One thing I really like about this machine is the music. No one ever comments about this, and some people I know never really even noticed this before with their own machine, but the main theme song continues to grow and add elements to it the more rafts you get.
Each raft adds either another instrument or a more livelier use of it to the main song, and the song keeps getting stronger, and more complex, until by Wet Willies it’s really built up. Very subtle but really cool.
Was there some Ravel’s Bolero inspiring this I wonder ?

Believe it or not many supposedly can't stand the game because of the music. It doesn't bother me at all. Not amazing, but is nice how it builds up.

#506 7 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

Believe it or not many supposedly can't stand the game because of the music. It doesn't bother me at all. Not amazing, but is nice how it builds up.

It's all about entertainment IMO. Whatever music, PF, light show, it’s how it’s used. The song is great for what it is. Most that dislike I’m guessing haven’t spent enough time, or haven’t gone far enough through the rafts to allow the potential of the main theme song to do what it does. It’s goin’ 90 by Wet Willie’s!

All in all I was very surprised by this, as it’s a one and only cool thing in pinball.

#507 7 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It's all about entertainment IMO. Whatever music, PF, light show, it’s how it’s used. The song is great for what it is. Most that dislike I’m guessing haven’t spent enough time, or haven’t gone far enough through the rafts to allow the potential of the main theme song to do what it does. It’s goin’ 90 by Wet Willie’s!
All in all I was very surprised by this, as it’s a one and only cool thing in pinball.

Bowen Kerns mentions the progressive music in hiw White Water tutorial.

#508 7 years ago

Nothing is better then hitting 3 insanity falls in a row after the 5x multiplier...what a rush!!!

1 week later
#509 7 years ago

I just tossed a "what's it worth" thread. I'd appreciate if you guys can chime in. Looking to sell it soon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

#510 7 years ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

I just tossed a "what's it worth" thread. I'd appreciate if you guys can chime in. Looking to sell it soon.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Is that missing the dome?

#511 7 years ago

No, I took it off for better pics

1 week later
#512 7 years ago

Has anyone had a problem with the whirlpool challenges having a delay before they start the mode?

#513 7 years ago

Does anyone have a pic of the chase lights on the topper. I need to install mine and a pic would be helpful.

Thanks, B

#514 7 years ago
Quoted from Mattman55:

Has anyone had a problem with the whirlpool challenges having a delay before they start the mode?

Is the VUK-opto clean ? working?

#515 7 years ago

I believe it works because it still engages the modes, just every couple games it will delay the mode start. Any suggestions on cleaning or verifying it works?

#516 7 years ago
Quoted from Mattman55:

I believe it works because it still engages the modes, just every couple games it will delay the mode start. Any suggestions on cleaning or verifying it works?

Cleaning the sender and receiver opto by using some alcohol on a q-tip works wonders
See if they are still aligned properly. Look at the solder-points, not cracked or dull looking, if so reflow.

#517 7 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Cleaning the sender and receiver opto by using some alcohol on a q-tip works wonders
See if they are still aligned properly. Look at the solder-points, not cracked or dull looking, if so reflow.

Yes, what he said. I would also check the subway fitting from the whirlpool to the lost mine (to make sure the ball isn't getting caught up somewhere).

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Here's my thoughts on it. I say "yes" BUT don't castrate your game in the process. The original coil kicks the ball out something fierce and you have to gain control, which is tricky.
A lot of people reduce the coil strength but do so in a way that the ball kicks to the (unactivated) right flipper, then bounces over perfectly so you can cradle it in the left flipper. This makes the game SO MUCH EASIER. Lyman Sheets exploited that in a previous PAPA and got some crazy high score. You can get multiple, multiple whirlpool completions on a regular basis like this.
What I did with mine is put in a weaker coil to prevent damage, but it's still a bitch to get controll again after the kick. If you try to let it bounce off the right flipper it will drain down the center, so you must try to control with the right flipper, which leads to all types of variations on where the ball ends up. It's not exactly the same as factory, because the kick is weaker, but the amount of skill needed to regain control is comparable to the original design.
I have a 26-1200 in mine, which is what a lot of people use to get the easy kickout, but you can adjust the coil so that it kicks out a little weaker so that the ball won't bounce all the way over to the left flipper.

im my case i swapped to the lower coil because 90% of the time the kick out would hit the inlane guide and go straight to the left outlane.

#519 7 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Yes, what he said. I would also check the subway fitting from the whirlpool to the lost mine (to make sure the ball isn't getting caught up somewhere).

my repro subway needed to be filed down to stop trapping balls under the game

#520 7 years ago

Could it possibly be the ball through switch before it gets to the whirlpool?

#521 7 years ago
Quoted from Mattman55:

Could it possibly be the ball through switch before it gets to the whirlpool?

Ball through switches should only activate when balls enter the through and when a ball is transported to the shooterlane..... so no

#522 7 years ago

There are two sets of optos for the whirlpool once in the subway. There is one when the ball enters the subway which changes the animation to whatever whirlpool award is ready and then another when the ball gets to the VUK in the Lost Mine.

#523 7 years ago

anyone got a pic of the topper that I can see the light placements?

Thanks, Brian

3 weeks later
#524 7 years ago

Just joined last night

Quick look over the machine and I have a few things I need to know!
The backbox flashers are weak.is this normal?
I have one sunken insert.the 16 raft any advice?
Where do I get those cool little rafts!
Thanks

#525 7 years ago

Gents,
If you or someone you know has a decent one for sale, please let me know. I live in the Northern VA/DC area.
Thanks!
Rob

#526 7 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

The mod is a little pricy, but totally worth it in my own opinion, considering a daughterboard had to be developed. It's nice the way it only kicks on when Bigfoot is facing you and turns off when he is not. I have LEDs in my game and that back corner was still dark...was tough to really see him hiding back there. Now non-pinhead guests always notice Bigfoot back there when before I always had to point him out.

Rob

#527 7 years ago

Should be handy to do with an arduino.
Im going to make my own.

What voltage is bigfoots motor?

#528 7 years ago
Quoted from netminda:

The mod is a little pricy, but totally worth it in my own opinion, considering a daughterboard had to be developed. It's nice the way it only kicks on when Bigfoot is facing you and turns off when he is not. I have LEDs in my game and that back corner was still dark...was tough to really see him hiding back there. Now non-pinhead guests always notice Bigfoot back there when before I always had to point him out.
Rob

Is this a normal lamp socket, so you can swap it to an LED if you wanted?

Quoted from calvin12:

im my case i swapped to the lower coil because 90% of the time the kick out would hit the inlane guide and go straight to the left outlane.

Have most people swapped this coil? I'm glad to read this, as I was thinking something was wrong with mine, as I was having a very hard time figuring out how to handle this kick out. I mostly do live catches on the right, which is very difficult for this game and kick out, but it was the only half decent way I could get control. Even then, sometimes it comes out so hard, and I stop a bounce, but it rolls up the right inlane, and over into the outlane... grrrr. (shaky shaky )

#529 7 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Is this a normal lamp socket, so you can swap it to an LED if you wanted?

Have most people swapped this coil? I'm glad to read this, as I was thinking something was wrong with mine, as I was having a very hard time figuring out how to handle this kick out. I mostly do live catches on the right, which is very difficult for this game and kick out, but it was the only half decent way I could get control. Even then, sometimes it comes out so hard, and I stop a bounce, but it rolls up the right inlane, and over into the outlane... grrrr. (shaky shaky )

I dont know how many people have done it. when it does go up the inlane nudge the game a bit to bleed off speed using the back of the slingshot

#530 7 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

I dont know how many people have done it. when it does go up the inlane nudge the game a bit to bleed off speed using the back of the slingshot

Yeah, I try it all, but that little SOB still manages to slip away sometimes It's like the only kickout I haven't been able to manage 100% in my machines. Again, I'm glad I read your post and the one you quoted, as I missed them before, and figured mine was just too strong or misaligned or something.

#531 7 years ago

What rom should I be running?
I need to dial in this game. So many sdtm with no ball save! There is a room with a ball save isn't there?

#532 7 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

One thing I really like about this machine is the music. <snip>

Then you may be interested in this...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-reorchestration-for-pinsound-and-warren-davis

#533 7 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

What rom should I be running?
I need to dial in this game. So many sdtm with no ball save! There is a room with a ball save isn't there?

If you plung it just right it will go straight down the middle, but if you don't score any points the ball is kicked back out. The true commecial roms do not have ball save (L5 is the latest one). The home rom L6 adds a ball save feature and, more importantly, fixes the hold-bonus glitch (on previous versions the hold bonus that saves your river class after you hit disaster drop 6 times never works). I used L6 but turn off my ball save so that the game plays as close to factory intentions as possible.

#534 7 years ago

Here's a few pics of the one that I let go of. It was a very sad day that I still regret. =(

White Water.jpg White water Front.jpg
#535 7 years ago

Hay.
Looking over this game I picked up and noticed this rubber. Supposed to be here?
It's in the pops. Blocking a route out towards the in/out lane. Excuse the filth!
IMAG0043.jpg

I also found a hair bobbin as a rubber!

IMAG0042.jpg
#536 7 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

Hay.
Looking over this game I picked up and noticed this rubber. Supposed to be here?
It's in the pops. Blocking a route out towards the in/out lane. Excuse the filth!
IMAG0043.jpg 148 KB

It's not uncommon to see that there. I don't like that rubber there because it there's a switch down below that that will never trigger if you use it. Doesn't make sense that the game would be designed that way.

See here for different configurations
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-wh2o-boulder-garden-layout

#537 7 years ago

Good info there.
I've a feeling I'll be getting rid of it and the star post when I strip her down.
Another quick one.
My shooter Lane switch is fine but the game goes into ball search after 5seconds.with the ball in the lane. This normal? I'm on an early rom.

#538 7 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

Good info there.
I've a feeling I'll be getting rid of it and the star post when I strip her down.
Another quick one.
My shooter Lane switch is fine but the game goes into ball search after 5seconds.with the ball in the lane. This normal? I'm on an early rom.

That doesn't sound right. I had an L2 rom at one point and didn't have that issue.

#539 7 years ago

I'll wait till I upgrade my rom and see what happens.
Actually now that I think about it.
If you do a hard launch and the ball goes SDTM the ball doesn't get kicked back out.
But.....
you do get 5000 points.
must be a stuck switch/opto somewhere.
That would explain the ball search too.
If someone could do me a favor and post a pic of the switch test levels screen that'd be great!

Thanks

#540 7 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

If you do a hard launch and the ball goes SDTM the ball doesn't get kicked back out.
But.....
you do get 5000 points.
If someone could do me a favor and post a pic of the switch test levels screen that'd be great!
Thanks

Could be a bad diode too. I have this game and have been over it multiple times. You may want to look back at some old threads I made that mention some things to adjust that were bad out of the factory such as the ramp ball guide under the back mountain. If you don't adjust the height of the right-most spacer and replace it with something about half the size, you bash the heck out of the switch mount and will most likely break it (if it isn't already).

#541 7 years ago

Thanks I will look back over then.
Just checked my rom is p6
Dont see p6 on the list of roms

#542 7 years ago

Need a favor !
could someone take a pic of the bottom right of their driver board?
I have a wire off.
But every thing checks out against the manual.
the red wire is bundled up with the single yellow in J136.
Thanks
2014-11-08 16.37.06.jpg

Edit-

J134-9 red-grey (lamp row 8 ) to coin door board.
must be for the start button?
Its not working but i guessed bulb

Post edited by urbanledge

#544 7 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

But.....
you do get 5000 points.
Thanks

rom version is to blame, you are tripping the opto on the ramp, thats where the points are from. WH2O was brutal for that. I think its the later roms and def the home rom that eliminate that.

#545 7 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

Hay.

I also found a hair bobbin as a rubber!

IMAG0043.jpg 148 KB

IMAG0042.jpg 179 KB

ring was added in production to eliminate fast drains to the right outlane. I had mine out for a while and it game no pop action at all, but I did not have a drain issue either. I put the ring in and not I have great action in the pops. I left it in. The switch below the pops will still get hit but its rare. This was accounted for in the software and you will find not hitting that switch does not set off a credit dot either.

#546 7 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Pinball.jpg 278 KB

Top man skypilot!

and thanks to calvin for the info.have roms on order.
found some leaky caps on my driver board too
reading the manual I also found I have the wrong bulbs in the topper
2014-11-08 16.39.00.jpg

#547 7 years ago

Got 5x playfield.
Started multi-ball.
Nailed all three Insanity Falls shots.
Started Wet Willies.
And then choked.

I didn't make a single shot, drained two balls right after ball-save light went out....

Dang!!!

Still got the GC score, but it could have been so much better if I wasn't a choke-artist.

#548 7 years ago

I wont bore you with too many pics but this was a dirty dirty girl!
I think I was the first to take it apart.

2014-11-09 12.35.04.jpg
2014-11-09 13.01.00.jpg

Look at this filth!
2014-11-09 13.13.24.jpg
2014-11-09 12.34.54.jpg

Cleaned up nicely and back together for the moment.

#549 7 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Got 5x playfield.
Started multi-ball.
Nailed all three Insanity Falls shots.
Started Wet Willies.
And then choked.
I didn't make a single shot, drained two balls right after ball-save light went out....
Dang!!!
Still got the GC score, but it could have been so much better if I wasn't a choke-artist.

HUNDRED MILLION! That's awesome when you get that, ya weiner!

#550 7 years ago
Quoted from urbanledge:

I wont bore you with too many pics but this was a dirty dirty girl!
I think I was the first to take it apart.

Look at this filth!

Cleaned up nicely and back together for the moment.

2014-11-09 12.35.04.jpg 136 KB

2014-11-09 13.01.00.jpg 145 KB

2014-11-09 13.13.24.jpg 196 KB

2014-11-09 12.34.54.jpg 171 KB

I do not envy you, lol.

There are 6,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 124.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside