Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0628.JPG

#1 8 years ago

I just got my Whitewater fixed and together a week ago. After about 30-40 games the lock target has been smashed to bits! WTF! The targets were new. It appears the right flipper strike is doing most of the damage. Has anybody experimented with downgrading both flipper solenoids to a weaker one?

IMG_0628.JPG

#2 8 years ago

Check this thread on RGP, the manual for White Water is wrong for the flippper coils.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/92c2e9accd431e87/a7463d0a753cddfa?lnk=gst&q=white+water+flipper+solenoids#

Also, in the pic it looks like your target may not have enough give because of the protectors. This could be causing your breakage.

The game may not be inclined enough as well.

#3 8 years ago

I'm pretty sure I read about a mod to fix this issue.

Edit: I may have been thinking of the protectors that you already have installed.

#4 8 years ago

If you don't find an exact fix try coating the next target with a fine film of clear epoxy before installing it.

#5 8 years ago

gwe: The protectors are for the plastic that would break when the lock targets smack back too far or a ball caught the edge of a corner. With the cliffy protector on the Disaster Drop ramp along with the edge covers, that is no longer an issue.

My machine actually had some other lock targets in them when I got it. I just recently changed over to the transparent green ones. I hope mine don't explode.

#6 8 years ago

Hawk, inclination is fine. I do believe you have a point about the target impacting the protectors. Was the design of the protectors tested at any length? Was I sold a bill of goods? Anyway... maybe BD's suggestion of toughening up the target with epoxy can help. Maybe I also need a layer of padding material between the target and the protector. This could get complicated...

#7 8 years ago

Keep us in the loop on what you do. I'll be interested as I also have this machine.

3 weeks later
#8 8 years ago

What was the verdict about these protectors behind the green targets? I'll be completely shopping out a WW in about a week and will be replacing both of those ramps behind them and I was going to install these protectors.

I originally thought that the protector may damage the target but I felt that a $12.00 target was better than the $80.00 ramp.

I will be replacing all the boulders with the white ones and I'm planning on coating the inside of the boulders with epoxy to reinforce them. I'm going to try light blue colored epoxy inside the white boulders to give them a blueish glow. I work with epoxy in my business everyday so this is like bringing my biz to pinball. Now after reading this post I will look into coating the green targets with a clear epoxy as well.

I'll send a pic when it's done.

#9 8 years ago

I ended up replacing the broken targets with the softer plastic one I got when I bought the machine. Seems like the hard plastic target may impact the protector with enough force to break the target after sufficient hits. Say - 20 to 70 games. YMMV.

#10 8 years ago

thanks for the tip. I'm going to take your advice and replace the green targets with different ones. The green targets have a shell that bends back into the ramps and damages them. I'm putting the protectors on as I installed new ramps and I can see that the targets will hit the protector. So changing the targets is the way to go.

8 years later
#11 3 days ago

I just installed new targets on a clients game and maybe he has 100 games and they are both crumbling. Frustrating to say the least. Wondering if any ideas or a solution has been found. Thanks! JR

#12 3 days ago

Tilt the target forward enough so the back plate of the target stops it and the plastic doesn't hit the ramp protectors

#13 3 days ago

Installed the flat green oblong ones six years ago. Don’t look as good , but they take so much more of a beating.

#14 3 days ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Installed the flat green oblong ones six years ago. Don’t look as good , but they take so much more of a beating.

I use these in my routed game and they are holding up for years without issues. These are the flat green plastic ones.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.00
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 9.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside