Whitewater ball sticking issue + kickback problem

By wizard91

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help me with an issue I'm experiencing on my Whitewater table. There seems to be a bit of a gap where the main ramp (the one that links the upper playfield and main playfield) joins the upper playfield at the back of the machine just behind bigfoot. At least a handful of games every session the ball will get stuck there if it is launched with just the right power and it takes some shifting.

I'm not sure if this gap is meant to be like this or whether this is just my table.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone has any suggestions that might prevent this from happening in future.

Obviously anything done needs to be reversible if I need to remove the ramps at any point and it is a pain to get at without taking all of the ramps off. I've tried putting some tape across the join but that doesn't seem to make much difference and I want to avoid anything that might affect the balls travel.

Also as a side note the kickback on the left drain lane seems to be very temperamental. It hardly ever works when the machine is first turned on but often starts working at a random point after a while of play almost like it has to warm up and then it works fine until turned off again. Initially it just won't fire at all. It works every time in test mode although it often seems to fire forward and then not retract, bizarrely when this happens it stays extended until the left flipper is pressed when it retracts ready to fire again. The roll over switch before it detects the ball fine every time.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips.

#2 10 years ago

A piece of Mylar? You can also use washers UNDER the ramp to elevate it slightly. Also make sure to butt the ramp up against the wood tightly.

On the kickback, I would check the stop and the coil sleeve for alignment and dirt.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from wizard91:

Wondering if anyone can help me with an issue I'm experiencing on my Whitewater table. There seems to be a bit of a gap where the main ramp (the one that links the upper playfield and main playfield) joins the upper playfield at the back of the machine just behind bigfoot. At least a handful of games every session the ball will get stuck there if it is launched with just the right power and it takes some shifting.

Fill in the gap (let's see a picture), and check if there is a divot where the ball drops beneath the VUK.

Quoted from wizard91:

It hardly ever works when the machine is first turned on but often starts working at a random point after a while of play almost like it has to warm up and then it works fine until turned off again.

Make sure you have it set in the settings to be on at the beginning of the game.

I might be set to off and won't come on until the "light bounceback" targets are hit.

#4 10 years ago

On the kickback not retracting issue check that the opening in the apron is not scraping the side of the kickback and not allowing it to retract. Apron can be easily adjusted. Guessing something is grabbing the kickback and the flipper use shakes up things just enough to free it.

#5 10 years ago

The other thing you might check with the kickback is the position of the switch arm. I had one that wouldn't fire every time and it turned out that I just needed to adjust the switch. But, like vid1900 says, if the red instert is not lit, it souldn't be kicking back. There are various settings for it in the menu.

That gap between the ramp and the upper playfield behind bigfoot is probably the trickiest thing with White Water. If you don't have a Cliffy Protector there I would get one now because if you don't already have a divit in the wood from the vuk kickout you will get one evenually. Anyway, even with the Cliffy the ball can still get caught. What I have done on mine is to take off all the ramps in that area until you can access that area and see what's going on clearly (yes, it's a pain but it's worth it). Adjust the Cliffy Protector placement so that the protector is flush with the ramp. Then get out a pinball and try to get it stuck in that area. Start making adjustments to see if you can get it so that it will not stick there. You may have to experiment with washers under the ramp or the Cliffy, or with different tightness on the screws holding down the ramp, etc. You may even have to get into looking at the way the left ramp side meets up with the left metal ball guide. What you are likely to find is that you'll be able to get it so that a moving ball ALMOST never sticks, but that if you roll it slowly enough you'll be able to make it stop there. Just try to get it as good as you can.

The other thing that can affect this area is how the back of your playfield is leveled. If it's leveled correctly, the gravity will usually prevent the ball from hanging up there. The only thing is, you pretty much have to take off the entire upper playfield and the ball guides in the back to get a level directly on the playfield back there.

I've been able to dramatically reduce stalls there but frankly, I've never been able to entirley eliminate it. I might get a hangup once in every 75 games or so.

#6 10 years ago

Hi all,

Thank you very much for all of the tips and pointers on both issues. Certainly a few things here I will be trying when I have a few moments to spare. The game plays really well and in the bigger picture these are fairly minor annoyances but I'm a perfectionist.

In terms of the kickback the light is on when the game starts but kickback still doesn't work initially even with the light on. Once it finally gets going after a random number of plays it seems to work every time as it should with the light on or after hitting the 3 targets when not on so my guess would be it is catching on the apron or something as suggested above especially as it seemed to tie in with the flipper being pressed and possibly shaking things a bit. The switch should be ok as it works fine once it gets going.

Certainly some things to work on though so thanks for the help.

#7 10 years ago

Not using your finger, but an actual ball; does it trigger the kickback with the glass off when cold (just turned on)?

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Not using your finger, but an actual ball; does it trigger the kickback with the glass off when cold (just turned on)?

+1. That's how I figured mine out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitewater-ball-sticking-issue-kickback-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.