6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Awhile back, something like three or four years ago, I had a Monopoly with the strangest problem I'd ever seen. The kickout for a hole, in this case I think it was the chance/community chest hole, wasn't kicking the ball out in play. The solenoid would fire very weakly, and the ball would get stuck. But if you went into test mode, it would fire fine, and kick like a mule. I changed everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, trying to fix the problem. New coil, swap both boards, new CPU chip, swap out the danged transformer, everything. Eventually I installed an older version of the CPU, and while it didn't fix the problem completely, the solenoid would fire enough that the ball could just pop out of the scoop. I swore at the thing, called it good enough, and sent it out in the field, where it sits to this day.

I chalked it up to some weird issue in the processor or something, and moved on. But just last week, I got a call for a Sega Harley Davidson with the exact same issue. This time, it was the solenoid that launched the balls out of the motorcycle. Strong enough to send 6 balls flying in test mode, but can't even launch one in game mode. It's in a biker bar, and they don't want any game but the Harley. I'm gonna burn an earlier version of the CPU chip, but has anyone seen this problem before? I'd like a real solution. It's got to be CPU/code based, doesn't it? There's no other coils firing at the same time in game mode.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitestar-solenoid-strong-in-test-mode-but-weak-in-game-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.