Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
1 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).jpg
NASCAR_sb166.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vbobrusev.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi! So, i trying to find solution on forum but didnt find any topics which can helps me. I have Grand Prix/NASCAR pinball which have issue with coil Q5. Before this it have issue with coil Q1, but it was issue with U1 Chip, i changed U1 it and Q1 works fine. But, Coil Q5 still keep blowing fuse and burn transistor Q5. I change capacitor near transistor Q5 and put new transistor on Q5, it works fine few times. i turn on and turn off machine. It works fine few days, but when i come back next day, fuse blows again and transistor burn also. I think maybe issue was with coil. i swap the coil and it works little bit and again same result, fuse is blowing, transistor burning. Any advices what it can be?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Yes your right no pia's, sorry.
Can't think anything else than wrong side diode.
Maybe Wrong diode (to low) because it works for a few times.

I changed old coil on brand new coil. Not sure that’s diode issue. Any other ideas what I should to check?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

When you put in new coil, was the transistor changed at the same time?

yes

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

First, calling the coil you're having problems with by name (ie "Garage Release coil") is much more helpful than only referring to it by the transistor it's hooked to (ie Q5). I had to pull out a manual just to see what coil you were even talking about.
Now, that said. Check the area around the garage assembly under the PF. This is for the garage release, and if I remember right, there's a paper (plastic?) shield there that can get old and come off (but that might have been on the Q6 upkick coil, I can't remember). If it does, the motion of the garage causes the coil lugs to come in contact with metal and it blows the transistor.
If you can't make a shield to replace the broken/missing one, you can also unsolder the coil wires and put plastic tubing over the connection points on the coil there to help keep them from shorting to metal.
If this doesn't work, post a clear hi-res (change the dropdown menu to high-res before dragging and dropping) picture of your garage assembly from a number of sides so we can see if something jumps out as wrong.
Also, make sure you have the final ROM release because there's a problem with the trough up-kicker on older roms where it can burn out the coil and make Q1 blow. Since it was blown before, it's likely you have an older ROM that needs to be updated. If you do have older code and do not update it, the trough coil and Q1 will eventually fail prematurely again. I've attached the service bulletin that addresses this.
[quoted image]

Thank you, i will check it and let you know.

#15 4 years ago

Firmware was updated to 4.5, i change transistor again, and put fast blow fuse. at first time it blows immediately when coil fired. I put new fuse ang go to Portals menu, for check only this coil. i fired by this coil 5 times, first 4 was normal. on 5th fuse blows again. Any ideas?
1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg

#17 4 years ago

same result with slow blow fuses

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:What transistor part number did you use to fix Q5?
Also, have you checked the wires on the coils for a short by following them back and seeing if there's any point where a screw or something penetrates the wire?

Same as in manual.

How i can find this place? i put tape on place where coils soldered.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hidden Meadows, CA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Black Mountain, NC
$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vbobrusev.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitestar-power-board-issue?tu=vbobrusev and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.