(Topic ID: 156942)

Whitestar/ NASCAR help needed: No end of ball.

By Black_Knight

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Having problems with my NASCAR. First ball starts and plays fine.

However the ball drains but it does not end. The game stays active and it never goes into ball search.

I have tested all switches and optos in the trough both with balls and manually. All tests are fine.

The out hole subway up kicker and the shooter lane kicker are both working properly.

My tech and I are stumped. Anyone have an idea?

#2 8 years ago

Whenever that's happened to me on my Grand Prix it's been a wire fell off the the trough an needed to be re soldered or a crack in the previous solder joint, but it sounds like you have already checked them out.

#3 8 years ago

What shows as being active in test mode on the matrix? This sounds like an opto issue. My sopranos had an endless multiball issue, worked fine otherwise, but kept feeding balls. Transmitter opto board was bad. Showed as open on the matrix. I slid a piece of paper through the opto to test it and it would not activate. Not sure why it happened only in that mode, but that was the issue.

#4 8 years ago

The optos test properly. There are 2 optos on the shooter kicker, one for the ball at rest and one one for entering the shooter lane. Both test fine with balls and manually as you describe.

There are three micoswitches in the trough. They all test properly both open and closed, with balls and manually.

When the balls are in the trough, the switch matrix test shows four switches activated, and they clear when I remove the balls.

All these switches are on column 2 of the matrix. I'm going to test the transistor these are attached to. Does that make sense?

#5 8 years ago

It looks like you own other Sterns, so I would highly recommend swapping in another set of trough opto boards to rule that out. Those are notoriously flaky if it were me I would still assume the problem is there until proven otherwise (and the test does not necessarily prove otherwise).

#6 8 years ago

I think I have this resolved, but not really sure why.

First, I swapped out the opto with my LOTR - no change in behavior.

Then I swapped it out with my AC/DC - the machine started spitting out all the balls in the trough. I switched it off pretty quick.

Installed the original opto and no EOB. I noticed that the ball save light stayed on forever, so I started playing with feature adjustments.

I figured out when I set Max Ball Savers to 0, the machine works as expected. Not sure why this setting impacts the behavior, but it appears corrected. Ball save still works, so not sure what this setting even does, maybe saves during multiball?

Thanks for the suggestions, but if anyone knows why this worked, please let me know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Black Mountain, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

2,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hidden Meadows, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
PinSound

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitestar-nascar-help-needed-no-end-of-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.