(Topic ID: 187641)

Whitestar issue - locks up in attract

By MikelJ

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I am hoping someone can help with this one - I checked all of the other posts but none are exactly this issue. This is a LWJP. I put in a new Rottendog I/O board because it was continually re-booting. Now the game comes up fine, but when you leave it in attract for about 10 minutes, the "active lights" which are in the lamp matrix stop working, L204 goes off and you can't start a new game unless you power off and back on. I replaced the 5v connector at the top of the io board and put in a new J1 ribbon cable as those were suggestions on other posts. The 5v looks good as it should with a new board, but the manual says that the CPU could hold reset if it doesn't get enough signal back from the lamp matrix. I am leaning towards this being the problem, but I have no idea on how to test/verify that. I also noticed the 2 6809 chips do get warm during attract, but not sure if that's is normal or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1 week later
#2 6 years ago

I do remember some issue with my LWJP years ago, however I ended up shipping my boards out for repair. Does your cpu board have battery acid damage? Any bulging capacitors? Otherwise using a DMM to test power at test points to make sure you have the right power over the boards.

The pinwiki is pretty good about explaining and fixing
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair

#3 6 years ago

Can you post a picture of the MPU board? Sounds like you're describing might be battery corrosion.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Can you post a picture of the MPU board? Sounds like you're describing might be battery corrosion.

Pictures!

2 weeks later
#5 6 years ago

Pictures of both boards with the game on will be helpful.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Boards
PinSound

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitestar-issue-locks-up-in-attract and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.