(Topic ID: 274830)

Whitestar 5300 CPU board compatibility with older games

By adalogue

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Pinwiki indicates you can use later boards in earlier games, but isn’t super clear. I’m trying to get a 5300 board working in a Roller Coaster Tycoon (came with 5136 board). Anyone know for sure? RCTC ROMs are same size as RBION, which works in a 5300 just fine.

#2 3 years ago

Update - I burned RCTC game and sound ROMs and gave it a go. The CPU board boots and mostly works, but sound does not work right. I updated the sound bootloader to v8 per Stern service bulletin, but no improvement. Pinwiki says you need to use 8Mb voice EPROMs for the 5300 board to work, but the schematics for the 5300 board and silkscreening on the board itself make it clear that they should be 4Mb. And again, RBION sound ROM files are exactly the same size as RCTC, except RCTC does not use U37 and RBION does.

My verdict - no, this doesn't work.

#3 3 years ago

Roller Coaster Tycoon uses the 520-5136-16 CPU/Sound Whitestar board. I also understand it uses the BSMT2000 (now available as a reproduction as the RDA2000 chip) sound chip too.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Roller Coaster Tycoon uses the 520-5136-16 CPU/Sound Whitestar board. I also understand it uses the BSMT2000 (now available as a reproduction as the RDA2000 chip) sound chip too.

Hey Ken, just dropped some ROMs off at Welby’s, hope you are well!

Online docs seem to indicate backwards compatibility with older games but based on my testing this weekend RCTC is not one of them.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Interesting, the RDA2000 seems to be a square PLCC chip. Do you know the story behind this? As in did Brian Schmidt create it himself or is it being emulated by the new chip?

#7 3 years ago

I came across this note on ksarcade and thought it would be of interest:

Please Note: There are four (confirmed) games that the Atmel Chipset does not support completely: South Park, *Starship Troopers, Space Jam and Roller Coaster Tycoon. The cpu will run the game software but some of the sounds will not be correct or play at all. These four games will require the BSMT2000 sound chipset 520-5136-00 cpu which is obsolete and very rare.

*Starship Troopers: it has been reported that Starship Troopers is least affected. The 520-5300 will run the game with some sounds missing but it's not noticeable during game play.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from loneranger:

These four games will require the BSMT2000 sound chipset 520-5136-00 cpu which is obsolete and very rare.

That was probably written before the reproduction BSMT2000 chips became available recently.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

That was probably written before the reproduction BSMT2000 chips became available recently.

Ok? Just letting OP know that he isn't the only one having problems with RCT and the later Whitestar CPU boards.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whitestar-5300-cpu-board-compatibility-with-older-games and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.