PXL_20221005_184301102 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221005_184208561 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221005_184220598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221003_213423712 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221003_203607457 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221003_203642187 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221003_203626610 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

I got a new White Water in today, and mostly checks out, except for the Whirlpool Popper (switch 61) seems stuck open (aka ball is present). When I boot up the game, it repeatedly fires as if it were trying to eject a ball in there. And when one goes in there during gameplay, nothing happens.

In switch test, nothing registers when I block the opto.

The optos have been recently replaced it looks like, and when I disconnect that opto and turn the machine on it exhibits the same behavior (fires repeatedly).

I will be troubleshooting this later on, any ideas what it might be? Also to add, the opto board under the pf is also new (and I get the same behaviors when I try it with an old one).

Cheers!

#2 1 year ago

Its been a few years since I had my Whitewater, but as I remember it there are a few disconnectable wires in and around the upper playfield that can be disconnected and reconnected into the wrong position. I'd double check to see if there was such a plug in that connection, and see if there is anything else close nearby that it could have plugged into. Molex connectors if I remember correctly. Good luck!

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Its been a few years since I had my Whitewater, but as I remember it there are a few disconnectable wires in and around the upper playfield that can be disconnected and reconnected into the wrong position. I'd double check to see if there was such a plug in that connection, and see if there is anything else close nearby that it could have plugged into. Molex connectors if I remember correctly. Good luck!

Sure thing, I'll make sure to give those a peek.

#4 1 year ago

Two simple things to start with:

1. If you're unsure then post an image of the problematic area. Well illuminated and in focus. Multiple angles if required. It should show the wiring.
  2. Try swapping the GRY-YEL and ORG-BRN wires on the receiver (blue opto board).
#5 1 year ago

Open means it’s dead. Aka like mentioned above either wired wrong or just not working. An open opto or one with no power will behave as if a ball is there the entire time.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Two simple things to start with:

If you're unsure then post an image of the problematic area. Well illuminated and in focus. Multiple angles if required. It should show the wiring.
Try swapping the GRY-YEL and ORG-BRN wires on the receiver (blue opto board).

Quoted from Jmckune:

Open means it’s dead. Aka like mentioned above either wired wrong or just not working. An open opto or one with no power will behave as if a ball is there the entire time.

Thanks guys. I will include some images here and dig through the manual quick to see if I can confirm if the wiring is wrong. Let me know if you see anything that jumps out. Otherwise, I will try what DumbAss suggests and swap the wires on the receiver.

PXL_20221003_203607457 (resized).jpgPXL_20221003_203607457 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221003_203626610 (resized).jpgPXL_20221003_203626610 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221003_203642187 (resized).jpgPXL_20221003_203642187 (resized).jpg

#7 1 year ago

OK, swapped the wires on the blue opto, no change. Hmm. Will keep investigating.

#8 1 year ago

Is your Whirlpool popper doing this? I'm in the same scenario, except mine is for the VUK that goes to the playfield. I unplugged the molex for the optos and it still does this. Thinking it's a problem with either the coil or one of the boards in the backbox. Will watch your thread and see how you solve it, as it may solve my problem as well.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from rockwell:

In switch test, nothing registers when I block the opto.

Does the switch show as closed (square box filled in), or open (just a dot) in switch test? It should show closed in test with no ball there. If it shows open and doesn't respond in test, test other switches in the same column and row as that switch.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

Is your Whirlpool popper doing this? I'm in the same scenario, except mine is for the VUK that goes to the playfield. I unplugged the molex for the optos and it still does this. Thinking it's a problem with either the coil or one of the boards in the backbox. Will watch your thread and see how you solve it, as it may solve my problem as well.

Here's how mine behaves on start-up:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7uVDnXFGmDVSV4kA7

Quoted from phishrace:

Does the switch show as closed (square box filled in), or open (just a dot) in switch test? It should show closed in test with no ball there. If it shows open and doesn't respond in test, test other switches in the same column and row as that switch.

Thanks for the clarification. It shows as a dot (open) ... I did check the other switches in the column/row and they appear to be functioning normally. The troublesome opto is the only one it its column that shows as open (third column from the right in the edge test image attached here. Switch 61 is at the top of that column. Switch 67 near the bottom of that row also shows open but it is an unused switch spot).

PXL_20221003_213423712 (resized).jpgPXL_20221003_213423712 (resized).jpg

#11 1 year ago

Do this https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC#7_Opto_Board_Testing to exclude the board logic. Once you've done that you can focus entirely on the opto (pair). Try another opto receiver from a known good to exclude the receiver.

Edit: also check continuity of the GRY-YEL and ORG-BRN wires with the connector to the 7-opto board.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Do this https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC#7_Opto_Board_Testing to exclude the board logic. Once you've done that you can focus entirely on the opto (pair). Try another opto receiver from a known good to exclude the receiver.
Edit: also check continuity of the GRY-YEL and ORG-BRN wires with the connector to the 7-opto board.

Thansk DumbAss , I'll try that test procedure. I did test the continuity, and it tested good.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Quick did the LM339 test ... I got a switch activation on all switches EXCEPT the troublesome switch in question (pin 7, for referecne).

This is a new replacement opto board.

What does this indicate, then? The wiki didn't elaborate. Thanks again for the help.

#14 1 year ago

Last thing anyone looks for and the first thing everyone should…. A wire break at a solder joint on another switch in either the same column or in the same row.

Does every other switch in row 1 and column 6 work?

#15 1 year ago

I don’t have a white water in front of me but by wired wrong, we meant wiring the transmitter to the receiver wires and the receiver to the transmitter wires. I don’t think the individual pads on them make a difference. Try swapping the side which the physical optos sit on. I’m not sure of the correct wire color for transmitter and receiver but I would try that. Alternatively unplug the connector and short the pins in switch edge for the row and column and see if they pop up to rule out main board.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Does every other switch in row 1 and column 6 work?

Image shows switch 71 as closed. This means that there is likely no problem on the CPU board. To prove this shorting the pins on J206/J207 and J208/J209 can confirm this.

The rest of the column are optos. Switch 67 is not used. They show as operating in the image.

Quoted from rockwell:

Quick did the LM339 test ... I got a switch activation on all switches EXCEPT the troublesome switch in question (pin 7, for referecne).
This is a new replacement opto board.
What does this indicate, then? The wiki didn't elaborate. Thanks again for the help.

Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Last thing anyone looks for and the first thing everyone should…. A wire break at a solder joint on another switch in either the same column or in the same row.

Short the wires in the connector J3 at the opto board. This would be short J3-5 to J3-12. IN THE CONNECTOR - not the pins on the board. The connector does not need to be connected to J3. This should cause switch 61 to register. If it does register then the problem is on the board. If it does not register then the problem is in the wiring. Well ... it's in the wiring assuming you have shorted the appropriate pins at J206/J207 and J208/J209 to exclude the CPU board.

If the problem is on the board then you need to contact the manufacturer of the board or merchant you purchased the board from. Reputable manufacturers and merchants should support their product. You should never need to turn to a forum for support of a product that you recently purchased.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Image shows switch 71 as closed. This means that there is likely no problem on the CPU board. To prove this shorting the pins on J206/J207 and J208/J209 can confirm this.
The rest of the column are optos. Switch 67 is not used. They show as operating in the image.

Short the wires in the connector J3 at the opto board. This would be short J3-5 to J3-12. IN THE CONNECTOR - not the pins on the board. The connector does not need to be connected to J3. This should cause switch 61 to register. If it does register then the problem is on the board. If it does not register then the problem is in the wiring. Well ... it's in the wiring assuming you have shorted the appropriate pins at J206/J207 and J208/J209 to exclude the CPU board.
If the problem is on the board then you need to contact the manufacturer of the board or merchant you purchased the board from. Reputable manufacturers and merchants should support their product. You should never need to turn to a forum for support of a product that you recently purchased.

Appreciate the feedback. I will test the connector tomorrow morning and report back. I am assuming at this point the problem is in the wiring someplace, since I get the same results on two different opto boards. Will keep everyone posted tomorrow, thanks again.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I did the short test you recommended b/w J3-5 and J3-12, but no switch activation. So sounds like may be the wiring (or the board).

I tested continuity from the two optos on the bad switch in question, and got continuity back to the opto board so that wiring seems like it might be OK. I haven't checked the J3 connector and wherever that connects back into the backbox but that will be my next step.

#19 1 year ago

OK, continuity testing continued ... I have continuity from opto board J3 connector plug to CPU board plugs.

Quoted from DumbAss:

Well ... it's in the wiring assuming you have shorted the appropriate pins at J206/J207 and J208/J209 to exclude the CPU board.

Perhaps I need to explore this suggestion.

#20 1 year ago

Shorting it on the board returned a proper switch activation ... so we can rule out the board. I must have missed something someplace, I will go back and check all the operative wires and see what I can turn up. Maybe there is something wrong with one of the optos in the bad switch, even though they are new? Hmm.

#21 1 year ago

You can temporarily swap some of the connections from the non-working to a working in the connector shells to see if it works with a known-working circuit.

Signs are really pointing to that portion of the 339 on the new board not working.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

You can temporarily swap some of the connections from the non-working to a working in the connector shells to see if it works with a known-working circuit.
Signs are really pointing to that portion of the 339 on the new board not working.

I have a second opto board that I tried as well, and get similar results.

#23 1 year ago

Let's work through what you've written and make sure we're all on the same page.

Quoted from rockwell:

I tested continuity from the two optos on the bad switch in question, and got continuity back to the opto board so that wiring seems like it might be OK.

I would not worry about this side of the circuitry at the moment. If you do the Pinwiki test (which you have done) and get the results that you got (no switch 61) then it doesn't matter what the wiring to the opto pair (green and blue boards) is. The problem is further upstream (on the board logic or the harness wiring).

Quoted from rockwell:

I did the short test you recommended b/w J3-5 and J3-12, but no switch activation.

Quoted from rockwell:

I haven't checked the J3 connector and wherever that connects back into the backbox but that will be my next step.

Quoted from rockwell:

OK, continuity testing continued ... I have continuity from opto board J3 connector plug to CPU board plugs.

Quoted from rockwell:

Shorting it on the board returned a proper switch activation ... so we can rule out the board.

All of this is contradictory. If you have continuity from J3 to the CPU board and the CPU board shorting (J206/J207 to J208/J209) works then shorting J3 wires should also work. They are electrically continuous as you have stated. You need to go back and re-verify everything. Something is amiss. You need to do this to exclude the harness wiring because you can't find a harness wiring problem on the 7-opto board and you can't find a 7-opto board problem in the harness wiring.

Quoted from rockwell:

I must have missed something someplace, I will go back and check all the operative wires and see what I can turn up. Maybe there is something wrong with one of the optos in the bad switch, even though they are new? Hmm.

Yes. Go back and re-verify the wiring and continuity. Ignore the opto pair at the moment. The Pinwiki test you did shows there is a problem upstream. There may still be a problem with the opto pair but until you can get the switch to register in the switch edge test (T.1) by shorting wiring it doesn't matter what the state of the opto pair is. Fix the 7-opto board or harness wiring problem FIRST. If you fix this it is likely the opto pair will just work.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Let's work through what you've written and make sure we're all on the same page.

I would not worry about this side of the circuitry at the moment. If you do the Pinwiki test (which you have done) and get the results that you got (no switch 61) then it doesn't matter what the wiring to the opto pair (green and blue boards) is. The problem is further upstream (on the board logic or the harness wiring).

All of this is contradictory. If you have continuity from J3 to the CPU board and the CPU board shorting (J206/J207 to J208/J209) works then shorting J3 wires should also work. They are electrically continuous as you have stated. You need to go back and re-verify everything. Something is amiss. You need to do this to exclude the harness wiring because you can't find a harness wiring problem on the 7-opto board and you can't find a 7-opto board problem in the harness wiring.

Yes. Go back and re-verify the wiring and continuity. Ignore the opto pair at the moment. The Pinwiki test you did shows there is a problem upstream. There may still be a problem with the opto pair but until you can get the switch to register in the switch edge test (T.1) by shorting wiring it doesn't matter what the state of the opto pair is. Fix the 7-opto board or harness wiring problem FIRST. If you fix this it is likely the opto pair will just work.

Agree, I am missing something. I did go back and re-do the short test at the J3 connector and did not get a switch activation, but I will revisit.

I think I will start at the board and go from there.

1) Confirm shorting the switch on the board registers.
2) Confirm continuity from board plugs back to J3
3) Short test the J3
4) scratch my head more

#25 1 year ago

After a bit more testing ...

1) Shorting the switch on the board registers GOOD
2) continuity from board plugs back to J3 confirmed GOOD
3) Shorting the J3 conenctor (removed from opto board) appears GOOD, but with a NOTE: the switch sort of double-registers. I've included a video here of me testing a few of the other switches and then the last one is the "bad" switch in question. You can hear how it double-registers:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KpQpPq34EJwBWEHt9

Not sure what this might indicate. A poor connection someplace? I did repin the two plugs that connect to the CPU ... perhaps I can re-pin the J3 plug on the opto board and see if that changes anything.

#26 1 year ago

OK, re-pinned the J3 connector. It solved the "double-registering" issue when manually shorting the switch, but the core issue still persists. Whirlpool Popper opto is reading as open.

So, we have confirmed proper CPU board operation, and confirmed continuity from board to J3 opto board connector. I have tested two different opto boards, one is brand new, so I am assuming that one is at least good.

Next, I may try swapping out the opto with a confirmed good one and see if that changes anything.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Quoted from slochar:

Switching optos didn't help. So I decided to go back to the opto board. I re-did the short test for the LM339s and now I do NOT get a switch activation when I short the 7th pin (which is that "bad switch" wire). I tried the same test on the old board I have and same result! I must have screwed that test up the first time I tried.

Could it be that I have TWO boards with the same error?

Perhaps I can swap one of the 339s from old board to new and try that.

I also have an opto board I could pull out of a WCS94 and try as well.

#28 1 year ago

To help you troubleshoot and better understand, consider the system broken down into distinct subsystems. Each subsystem produces a binary result (false or true) regarding switch state (open or closed). Each part of the subsystem must work correctly for the entire system to work correctly. There is NO visible diagnostic of any part of the subsystem. The only visible diagnostic is the final software switch edge test (T.1). This is why you must test each subsystem for correctness. It is also important that you test them in a correct manner. If you don't perform the test correctly the results are invalid.

1. Central board: WPC-89 CPU board software and switch state circuitry (essentially J206/J207 and J208/J209).
  2. Switch matrix wiring harness: Wiring from connectors to 7-opto board.
  3. Peripheral board: 7-opto board power and switch state detection circuitry.
  4. Opto wiring harness: Wiring from 7-opto board to opto transmitter/receiver board pair.
  5. Opto transmitter/receiver pair: Actual LED transmitter, phototransistor and wires connected to correct solder pads (terminals).
Quoted from rockwell:

1) Shorting the switch on the board registers GOOD
2) continuity from board plugs back to J3 confirmed GOOD
3) Shorting the J3 conenctor (removed from opto board) appears GOOD

This indicates subsystems 1 and 2 are working correctly.

Quoted from rockwell:

So I decided to go back to the opto board. I re-did the short test for the LM339s and now I do NOT get a switch activation when I short the 7th pin (which is that "bad switch" wire). I tried the same test on the old board I have and same result! I must have screwed that test up the first time I tried.

This indicates subsystem 3 is NOT working. This is 7-opto board specific. As ALL subsystems must work for everything to be detected correctly by the diagnostic software you cannot test anything further until this subsystem is working. This is why I told you to ignore the opto transmitter/receiver pair.

Quoted from rockwell:

I have tested two different opto boards, one is brand new, so I am assuming that one is at least good.

I hate to say this, but, NEVER assume a new board is good. There are some board manufacturers that are clearly shipping boards that were never tested. I have seen this myself when someone showed me a "brand new" (removed from shipping packaging) board that had an IC with a bent pin in a socket.

Quoted from rockwell:

Could it be that I have TWO boards with the same error?

Unlikely, but not impossible. If you have an electrical issue that caused a problem on the original board and you didn't repair that problem, installing a new board may result in the exact same problem on the new board. Boom. You now have two boards with the same problem and one of them was "new".

Quoted from rockwell:

Perhaps I can swap one of the 339s from old board to new and try that.

Quoted from rockwell:

I also have an opto board I could pull out of a WCS94 and try as well.

Find the problem first. Everything you have written points to a problem on the 7-opto board. I can't speak for the "new" board because I don't know who the manufacturer is (you should contact them anyway) but a problem on the OEM 7-opto board might be (obviously) visible. An image can confirm or deny that.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

To help you troubleshoot and better understand, consider the system broken down into distinct subsystems. Each subsystem produces a binary result (false or true) regarding switch state (open or closed). Each part of the subsystem must work correctly for the entire system to work correctly. There is NO visible diagnostic of any part of the subsystem. The only visible diagnostic is the final software switch edge test (T.1). This is why you must test each subsystem for correctness. It is also important that you test them in a correct manner. If you don't perform the test correctly the results are invalid.

Thanks for the detailed notes, DumbAss . That all makes sense, and I will attach a couple of images of the OEM board here. Nothing looks too crazy to me (as far as visible damage goes anyway), but let me know if you spot anything suspect.

PXL_20221005_184208561 (resized).jpgPXL_20221005_184208561 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221005_184220598 (resized).jpgPXL_20221005_184220598 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221005_184308757 (resized).jpgPXL_20221005_184308757 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221005_184301102 (resized).jpgPXL_20221005_184301102 (resized).jpg

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Nothing looks too crazy to me (as far as visible damage goes anyway), but let me know if you spot anything suspect.

Agree. Looks to be a clean, unmolested OEM 7-opto board. The heat damage near the 2W 270 Ohm resistors is normal.

Just to be 100% sure, you are shorting J2-7 to J2-9,10 as indicated below. The connector does not need to be connected. I am fairly sure you are doing this correctly because you reported that this is the only one that doesn't indicate state change in the switch edge test. It doesn't hurt to confirm so that we're on the same page.

7-opto_board.jpg7-opto_board.jpg

If this is true then you should look to have the board repaired. It might be something as simple as replacing U1.

#31 1 year ago

Yep, I can confirm I was shorting pins 10 and 7 with no luck. Shorting pins 1-6 worked as expected.

I am going to try another OEM board I hav and see what that does. Otherwise, I can try replacing the 339. More to come soon!

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Agree. Looks to be a clean, unmolested OEM 7-opto board. The heat damage near the 2W 270 Ohm resistors is normal.
Just to be 100% sure, you are shorting J2-7 to J2-9,10 as indicated below. The connector does not need to be connected. I am fairly sure you are doing this correctly because you reported that this is the only one that doesn't indicate state change in the switch edge test. It doesn't hurt to confirm so that we're on the same page.
[quoted image]
If this is true then you should look to have the board repaired. It might be something as simple as replacing U1.

I dropped in a confirmed working OEM 7-opto and got the same results when I shorted the 10 and 7 pins on J2. No switch activation. Huh.

At this point, it feels safe to rule out the board? That's three separate boards with the same issue. I have not tried swapping one of the U1 yet, but would be willing to give that a shot.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from rockwell:

I dropped in a confirmed working OEM 7-opto and got the same results when I shorted the 10 and 7 pins on J2. No switch activation. Huh.
At this point, it feels safe to rule out the board? That's three separate boards with the same issue. I have not tried swapping one of the U1 yet, but would be willing to give that a shot.

You need a good, consistent and expected baseline. At this point, your readings all indicate a problem on the board ... BUT ... to be absolutely sure, take ALL the boards that "fail" in the White Water and use them in another machine (such as your WCS94). It looks like the 7-opto board is column 3 in WCS94 so expect to see switches 31 to 36 register when doing the Pinwiki test in the WCS94.

Doing the test above (in the known good machine) will exclude all the boards. If the boards test good in the WCS then you can rule out subsystem 3 above.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

You need a good, consistent and expected baseline. At this point, your readings all indicate a problem on the board ... BUT ... to be absolutely sure, take ALL the boards that "fail" in the White Water and use them in another machine (such as your WCS94). It looks like the 7-opto board is column 3 in WCS94 so expect to see switches 31 to 36 register when doing the Pinwiki test in the WCS94.
Doing the test above (in the known good machine) will exclude all the boards. If the boards test good in the WCS then you can rule out subsystem 3 above.

Sure, that's logical. The WCS94 is taken apart at the moment, but I have an NBAFB that I believe also has one I can try them in.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

If the boards test good in the WCS then you can rule out subsystem 3 above.

OK, I think we can rule out subsystem 3 I tested both of the 7-opto boards I have (OEM and new) in my NBAFB and they both tested fine when shorting the pins on the J2 connector (correct switch activations when shorting pin 9/10 with 1-7).

Where would this point next? Something on the CPU?

#36 1 year ago

Just saying as an onlooker, I love the troubleshooting dialogue! Dumbass, I appreciate you breaking down the “logic” of your troubleshooting steps, which most people leave out when posting. Thanks!

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Just saying as an onlooker, I love the troubleshooting dialogue! Dumbass, I appreciate you breaking down the “logic” of your troubleshooting steps, which most people leave out when posting. Thanks!

Yes, DumbAss has been a great help. Hopefully someone in the future with the same issue will find this thread

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from rockwell:

OK, I think we can rule out subsystem 3 I tested both of the 7-opto boards I have (OEM and new) in my NBAFB and they both tested fine when shorting the pins on the J2 connector (correct switch activations when shorting pin 9/10 with 1-7).
Where would this point next? Something on the CPU?

Well ... now you still do not have a definitive cause. The system you are looking at here is fairly simple.

• The WHT-BRN (row 1) wire leaves the CPU board at J209-1.
  • It daisy chains (wired in parallel) to all the playfield switches in row 1. The order is not documented and varies between games with physical switch locations.
  • One of the points in the daisy chain is the 7-opto board at J3-5.
  • The corresponding column 6 wire is GRN-BLU and is connected at the 7-opto board in J3-12.
  • This wire is also daisy chained (wired in parallel) to all the playfield switches in column 6. The order is also not documented.
  • The GRN-BLU wire returns to the CPU board at J207-6.

There's not much more to it than that. The problem should be in one of two places.

1. The playfield wiring (either the row wire or the column wire).
  2. The CPU board (logic ICs).

You can exclude the playfield column wire as the other switches in column 6 register. In fact, there should be a single GRN-BLU wire because column 6 only services the 7-opto board switches. Check ALL other switches in row 1 that are in the playfield (not cabinet). These are switches 31 (River "R2"), 41 (Light Lock Left), 51 (Left Sling) and 71 (Rapids Ramp Main). One of your images already shows switch 71 as closed.

The fact that switch 71 registers as closed indicates it is unlikely to be the CPU board. As previously you can exclude this by shorting J207-6 and J209-1 and then un-shorting it. This should cause the switch to register. You can short J209-1 to the other pins on J207 and each pin should register all the switches in row 1.

I'm afraid it's not going to be "this is where your problem is" because your presentation is atypical and you must do the searching and differentiation. Readers can only be guided by what you report as your findings and if you report your findings incorrectly that is going to be the basis for conclusion. I am not saying that your reporting is incorrect but rather trying to point out to other readers (or potential future posters) that reporting correct findings is super important. Reporting of findings is what other people use to make assessments and provide guidance.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Well ... now you still do not have a definitive cause. The system you are looking at here is fairly simple.

The WHT-BRN (row 1) wire leaves the CPU board at J209-1.
It daisy chains (wired in parallel) to all the playfield switches in row 1. The order is not documented and varies between games with physical switch locations.
One of the points in the daisy chain is the 7-opto board at J3-5.
The corresponding column 6 wire is GRN-BLU and is connected at the 7-opto board in J3-12.
This wire is also daisy chained (wired in parallel) to all the playfield switches in column 6. The order is also not documented.
The GRN-BLU wire returns to the CPU board at J207-6.

There's not much more to it than that. The problem should be in one of two places.

The playfield wiring (either the row wire or the column wire).
The CPU board (logic ICs).

You can exclude the playfield column wire as the other switches in column 6 register. In fact, there should be a single GRN-BLU wire because column 6 only services the 7-opto board switches. Check ALL other switches in row 1 that are in the playfield (not cabinet). These are switches 31 (River "R2"), 41 (Light Lock Left), 51 (Left Sling) and 71 (Rapids Ramp Main). One of your images already shows switch 71 as closed.
The fact that switch 71 registers as closed indicates it is unlikely to be the CPU board. As previously you can exclude this by shorting J207-6 and J209-1 and then un-shorting it. This should cause the switch to register. You can short J209-1 to the other pins on J207 and each pin should register all the switches in row 1.
I'm afraid it's not going to be "this is where your problem is" because your presentation is atypical and you must do the searching and differentiation. Readers can only be guided by what you report as your findings and if you report your findings incorrectly that is going to be the basis for conclusion. I am not saying that your reporting is incorrect but rather trying to point out to other readers (or potential future posters) that reporting correct findings is super important. Reporting of findings is what other people use to make assessments and provide guidance.

Thanks again for helping me through.

!! We have solved the issue !!

I traced the white-brown (row) and green-blue (column) wires end-to-end and everything was connected and in place. After that, I started one by one unplugging molexed switches and re-booting the machine hoping that the auto-firing popper would not auto-fire with one unplugged (focusing the problem on the un-connected molexed switch). To mine but not DumbAss 's surprise ... when I unplugged switch 71 and rebooted, all was silent. Found it!

If I had a keen eye, I would have possibly noticed (and understood) that switch 71 was closed on the T.1 test, erroneously. And that this might be the source of the issue. I did not, but in retrospect, it should have raised a red flag. I've learned something for next time!

So next, what is happening with switch 71? I took a peek and saw the issue...

PXL_20221007_203711364 (resized).jpgPXL_20221007_203711364 (resized).jpg

A better look...

PXL_20221007_203827592 (resized).jpgPXL_20221007_203827592 (resized).jpg

At some point, someone had replaced the switch or re-wired the switch incorrectly. Green/Blue wire should be in the middle.

I decided to just remake the whole little harness to be sure.

PXL_20221007_204714560 (resized).jpgPXL_20221007_204714560 (resized).jpg
PXL_20221007_204720986 (resized).jpgPXL_20221007_204720986 (resized).jpg

Reinstalled it and---viola!---no more locked-on popper.

So, what have I learned?

1) I've learned to break the system down into subsystems, and eliminate them in order to identify issues.
2) Pay closer attention to the T.1 test. If I had understood and inquired more about "Why is 71 closed"? I could have saved a lot of time.
3) Appreciate the national treasure that is DumbAss . Willing to help, teach, and follow me (and you) down a troubleshooting rabbithole even though he has no earthly reason to care about me (us).

Thanks again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

7,780 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 12.95
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-whirlpool-popper-stuck-open-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.