IMG_20140831_082453_661.jpg
WH20_PF02.JPG
WH2O_PF01.JPG
BoulderGarden.jpg
WhiteWater2.jpg
WhiteWater1.jpg
wh2o-738.jpg
#1 9 years ago

What has everyone done with the PF GI for this machine? Blue is always the easy way to go on most machines, but not sure if this is the best selection.

Also, how have you lit up the mountains?

#2 9 years ago

I got one with the white mountains.

Looks like the guy who did mine went cool white everywhere except the upper playfield, where he's got the blues. Look like Cointaker premium bulbs...

wh2o-738.jpgwh2o-738.jpg

#3 9 years ago

I used warm white in the upper playfield, cool white in the slings, Make sure to use pink in the hazards and rafts

#4 9 years ago

We (and by we, I mean my husband lol) used a lot of blue, white & orange and then red up in the back boulders. I just went and snapped a couple photos... Sorry for the glass reflections, but he's waxing fields & Maverick is moved in the way and there wasn't enough room to take it off. (The bottom photo was one of the "artsy" photos I took a while back for a 30 day photo challenge... the pins were my subject.)

White WaterWhite Water

White Water - Red BoldersWhite Water - Red Bolders

White Water - Boulder GardenWhite Water - Boulder Garden

#5 9 years ago

I'm torn between blue or cools for the plastics in this game. Anyone else gone through the same thing?

Quoted from Capper96:

I used warm white in the upper playfield, cool white in the slings, Make sure to use pink in the hazards and rafts

haha if orange may be the new black, but pink is the new orange I've been using pink's under orange inserts that need pop for a long time. I also started, in a few games doing pink frosted under orange lane guides in some games for cool effects, like in MB,

#6 9 years ago

Mine is with blue on the topside of the PF, cools at the flipper area.
Mountains lit with an orange LED strip

WH2O_PF01.JPGWH2O_PF01.JPG
WH20_PF02.JPGWH20_PF02.JPG

#7 9 years ago

Thor - are those cools or warms in the bottom? Looks like warms, but obviously photos can alter how it actually looks.

Has anyone lit the back mountains from underneath? This was my first thought when I got the game, as there is so much free space back there as well, but it seems in every photo I find people top light it.

#8 9 years ago

Atomic you are right, those are warm whites with frosted domes (CoinTaker)
Sorry, was reading cools and cool effect and typed cools, but are warm

Tried the light from the bottom, but liked the orange "strike" from above better

#9 9 years ago

Have fun with the colors. Good amount of 4 bulb blues from comet and frosteds from cointaker. Also blue flashers are real cool on wh2o

IMG_20140831_082453_661.jpgIMG_20140831_082453_661.jpg

IMG_20140831_082514_306.jpgIMG_20140831_082514_306.jpg
IMG_20140831_082503_014.jpgIMG_20140831_082503_014.jpg

#10 9 years ago

See my setup here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-fansshow-us-your-themes-and-schemes#post-1868287

I don't go overly colorful, and mostly stick with cool white. I put a 7 LED strip behind the back mountain and hooked it into the GI socket in the back right, but placed it along the backboard in the center.

I have blue LEDs behind the blue transparent targets. 5-way cool whites from cointaker in the bumpers. Anything else you want to know, just ask.

#11 9 years ago

I dont have any pictures, but I have heard from customers of using Blue, Orange, Yellow, Red, and Pink under the
Mountains in Op-Max, which glows the entire area something amazing! Does anyone have any pics with these?

#12 9 years ago

These schemes all look great, but something you may want to consider is that if you replace all the GI lamps with LEDs you will have to turn off GI dimming or else there will be lots of annoying flicker. There's lots of great dimming effects in this machine, especially if you have the Home roms. On mine I just replaced the inserts and flashers with LEDs. Just something to consider...I took this approach with both my TZ and WH20 and I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Has anyone lit the back mountains from underneath? This was my first thought when I got the game, as there is so much free space back there as well, but it seems in every photo I find people top light it.

I used a string of warm white leds under the mountains and it matches the boulder garden perfectly. Elsewhere, mostly warms whites in the GI (except for the slings and whirlpool which have cool whites). Also color matched the inserts and have spotlights on the playfield.

WWled.jpgWWled.jpg
WW3.jpgWW3.jpg

#14 9 years ago

@ncbk - Your back mountain looks awesome. Looking at that last pic... we need to figure out a way to light up Bigfoots cave. Looks so lonely and dark!

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from JosephT:

Looking at that last pic... we need to figure out a way to light up Bigfoots cave. Looks so lonely and dark!

I've been bugging my husband to do that... At least spot light him when he turns and looks at you!

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from LunaStone:

I've been bugging my husband to do that... At least spot light him when he turns and looks at you!

There is a mod that does exactly what your saying. Last I saw, it was available at pinballlife.com....

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2486

I was actually referring to bigfoots cave though. I would like to see someone light that up!

#17 9 years ago

If I ever get a WH20 again, I'd copy what this guy did.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fsft-wh20-bumble-edition

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

I used a string of warm white leds under the mountains and it matches the boulder garden perfectly. Elsewhere, mostly warms whites in the GI (except for the slings and whirlpool which have cool whites). Also color matched the inserts and have spotlights on the playfield.

Exactly what I was looking for. How do you tie them all in, can they all be connector together in series?

Thanks for all the other photos, I think I'm going to do a mix of blues in the back, and cools down low, with maybe some cyans mixed into the ramp entry GI, I like that. I was also going to get my friend to paint the tips of the mountains white. I showed what I wanted, and he said no to paint, and that he has this fake snow stuff for models and figures that looks real. I'm going to buy new mountains and have him test it.

I'm surprised no one has the skill mountain mod. I just bought the last one off that dredd guy from the UK on ebay. Can't wait for that to arrive.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Thor - are those cools or warms in the bottom? Looks like warms, but obviously photos can alter how it actually looks.

I have! I'll try to take a good photo, but I just drilled a hole in the back board, and used a warm white flex to light up the center mountain, looks really good. The hole is in that area to the right up Bigfoot bluff ramp.

#20 9 years ago

Well not as good as that other guys! That impressive

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

How do you tie them all in, can they all be connector together in series?

The lights have five sections of 3 leds each and came already strung together from Fry's.
http://www.frys.com/product/7728128
Didn't want to overload the system, so used the 12v line from a PC power supply inside the cab.
I'll be doing Big Foot's Cave similarly and I have an extra light sitting around, will post pics later.
It's hard to tell from the post above, but I also did a DIY version of the pinball life mod.
The light stays on the whole time, not when the head motor comes on.
First, I had just the bottom light hooked up, but using that light only was casting a shadow.
So added the second light attached the whirlpool sign, which helped with that problem.
But since it was so much closer, it was way too bright...
If you look close, cotton is stuffed into the spotlight to dull and even out the light.
Bigfoot.jpgBigfoot.jpg

#22 9 years ago

One other question. What LEDs have people gone with for the lower two on the left, under circle part of the insanity falls ramp, and behind the upper flipper. Those are so in your face, I can't seem to find a good LED to use as supers, and even cool frosted are just too bright to look at. I tried the 170 degree old school LED, but they a little dim. I'm goldilocks looking for the mama bear bed

The one behind the upper flipper almost feels like there is a plastic missing there.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

One other question. What LEDs have people gone with for the lower two on the left, under circle part of the insanity falls ramp, and behind the upper flipper. Those are so in your face, I can't seem to find a good LED to use as supers, and even cool frosted are just too bright to look at. I tried the 170 degree old school LED, but they a little dim. I'm goldilocks looking for the mama bear bed
The one behind the upper flipper almost feels like there is a plastic missing there.

I had the same issue in that area. If you look at my pictures above I used NATURAL WHITE SUPERIOR LED DOMED "BULLET" BULB from comet. They were less bright that coin taker.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

had the same issue in that area. If you look at my pictures above I used NATURAL WHITE SUPERIOR LED DOMED "BULLET" BULB from comet. They were less bright that coin taker.

A domed Bullet is a single resin diode...it is no brighter than an incandescent....It is also the bulbs that are the least bright. We have 12 levels of bulb brightness, so there are certainly brighter ones, and need to be compared correctly to SMDs for brightness needs....

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2led.htm

If a "Super" frosted is too bright, and an encapsulated diode is not bright enough, then the bulb "inbetween" is a 2 LED from Comet, or a 3 LED from PBL.

There is a difference between a 2 LED and a 2 SMD, even though CT site has the 2 LED picture still on site.

#25 9 years ago

I used frosted cool white and frosted blue, but more importantly added the missing plastic mod to cover that area with artwork. Also have the extra lighting under the mountains and inside the missing mountain, although it still doesn't light up like the others as its not translucent.

IMG_1094.jpgIMG_1094.jpg IMG_1116.JPGIMG_1116.JPG IMG_1090.jpgIMG_1090.jpg
#26 9 years ago

Nice Job, Pincrush!

I find Whitewater to be one of the most diversified games for lighting there is.
For some, incandescents in the mountains are what they feel is perfect, for others, I have seen the brightest possible! (Yuk!)
I think what's "inbetween" is always what the majority wants, and deciding whether the boulders are "lit" or "glow"
or the 2 differences. Slight variations in Voltage, Ambient lighting, even replacement plastics, all affect the decision around 10%. Bulb choice, the remainder. In a reasonable order of brightness, a single LED, wont do anything.
a 2 LED, clear, seems to make people happy with sensitive eyes, playing with lights on, or in the smaller regions.
A standard 5050 "Super" frosted is the "mainstay" as it is what comes in all kits. Moving to the newer twin 2835, will bring about 20% more brightness, and with that is the choice between colors...but specifically in White, if natural is too white, and warm is too yellow, then Sunlight is the "goldilocks" of color, being in between.
There is even brighter, in Op-Max, or LED strips, that can be placed wherever needed.
So all the choices are there...its now a matter of personal taste, and the difficulty of shooting pictures, that accurately give a good look....
One mans perfect taste, may not be anothers, but as long as one can swap out a few inexpensive bulbs to suit their
taste, I think an answer exists for everyone.
What I wish I had time to do, was to photo a Whitewater area with each and every different bulb choice there is.
I am sure, if done in person, with a bunch of people, we could all agree on what was "bad" and usually end up with a couple we all like.....even still, there will also be another opinion or answer.
Whitewater is amazing when lit, and I truly love all these pictures....and hope they help the OP.......I would love to see more!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

17,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-wh2o-led-choices and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.