Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by libtech
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

WH20-.jpg
WH20-_.jpg

#1 7 years ago

Thinking of adding one of these two pins to my collection next. Which one do you think is better? Wish I could add both

#2 7 years ago

WH2O is pure genius, but funhouse is still fun.

#3 7 years ago

I got to play wh2o yesterday for the first time, and loved it. I am not in love with fh like most pinheads, so for me I would go with wh2o.

#4 7 years ago
#5 7 years ago

WH2O for sure. Not a huge FH fan actually. Would take a Whirlwind over it anyday.

#6 7 years ago

Like whirlwind too, that one would also be in the mix

#7 7 years ago

Whirwind has one of my favorite layouts hands down. I mean he basically just repeated it a handfull of times adding more stuff, but Whirlwind is just stripped down pure pinball.

I'd still go WH2O>Wind>Funhouse.

Funhouse is a fun game but to me feels a lot "clunkier" than these others.

#8 7 years ago

Have them both ... I like them equally but for different reasons. I'd say get the first one you can get your hands on and just decide for yourself.

#9 7 years ago

Wow, two great titles! Whitewater only because it's much deeper and strategic title to play. Funhouse is an absolute classic though. If you ever got sick of the whitewater, you could probably trade for a funhouse no problem, good luck!

#10 7 years ago

I think WH20 is the more complicated game, and that makes it more fun to me. FH while a solid game and one of the best of its era, pales next to the golden age DMD goodness.

#12 7 years ago

Get whitewater and buy the Lh-6 Rom for it.Fun game!

#13 7 years ago

I would go with WH20 over FH all day. just me though.

#14 7 years ago

Oooh this is a tough one. Two entirely distinct types of games.

Whitewater is a flow game.Lots of wide arcing shots, backhand opportunities, use of precise aiming (extra ball target), and ramps. Lots and lots of ramps. Whitewater also has great software for its time. Building up to vacation jackpot holds value as your constantly working away at something. As for shopping it out, its a nightmare if you just throw stuff around in your work area. Lots and lots of plastic, lots of screws, and sometimes plastics that overlap one another. Make sure to use a digital camera to photograph how things are assembled, before taking everything apart. If you can find the topper on a WH20, then good for you. Thats like 500 bucks. A piece that is virtually impossible to recreate since it uses special film in order to make the water shimmering effect.

Funhouse is a stop and go...mixed with flow. Its not totally stop/go like Earthshaker. If your a fan of games like DE Tommy...hell....Sterns Tron Legacy....respect has to be made to the immortal Funhouse. Lots of great three flipper action in this one, with plenty of things to shoot for. Trying to get the hot dog is pretty fun. Rudy is really fun if you plan to have kids or people who dont know about pinball play your machine. Rudy might need the solenoids cleaned, else your gonna get a dummy who looks like he just spent the weekend on a drinking binge. This machine is notorious for cabinet fade. Pretty much no way around it. The reds turn to orange, and the playfields are very hard to find without any kind of wear spots. Good luck with that. Maybe the pinball god, Gorgar, will smile upon you and show you to a Funhouse with a Diamond Plated playfield.

For me its gotta be Whitewater, but this is preference. Some will argue nostalgia for Funhouse. Either way, two of Williams' classics.

#15 7 years ago

So I'll buck the trend - FH. Whitewater looks cool and satisfying to hit the ramp but doesn't do it for me. Yes, the topper is cool. Yes, the big ramp and bigfoot looks cool. But playfield layout, shots, Rudy - come on bucko. One of the most memorable soundtracks and voices, great light show and you get to shut Rudy up by sending a ball in his mouth - come on. Place in pinball history with mannequin head on playfield. Come on sparky go FH.

#16 7 years ago

Never played WH20 but there's 3 FH's around my way and I've played a lot. I can see FH getting old really fast if you owned it. It's basically Step 1. Get to the point where you shoot in his mouth. Step 2. Shoot his mouth, shoot trapdoor, shoot hallway repeat as long as you can. When multi's over, just do busy work to get the balls back in that clowns mouth. Repeat step 1. Repeat step 2. etc etc

#17 7 years ago

I enjoy funhouse, not whitewater so much. Probably need to play it again

#18 7 years ago

I had both, but got rid of FH and don't miss it.

Funhouse is basically a one trick pony and gets boring.

Imagine the game without a talking head with a mouth to shoot, and you can see how plain the game really is. It's neat for awhile, but if you have several games, there's no real draw to play FH. Hitting the trapdoor and Rudy's mouth are the only fun shots. Still not fun enough to take up space for other better games.

White Water has a lot more to do. It flows better. And is just more fun to play as you work your way to the Vacation Jackpot.

#19 7 years ago

I have both and love both. If I HAD to choose one, it would be FH. Both games incorporate humor into the gameplay, but FH seems so interactive it keeps me coming back for more. The pressure of Rudy's eyes following the ball, him mocking you and telling you not to do stuff makes it seem personal and I rarely finish a game without cursing at Rudy or muttering to myself as I walk away. Wait....on second thought maybe the game sucks and I am just projecting my personal issues onto it!

#20 7 years ago

Had a WW, and it got old real fast. Based on your collection, I'd definitely go FH. WW and TZ both use fliptronics 2. The flippers are going to feel the same. FH does have a dated clunky feel to it, but based on your collection, it would be something different, and a nice change imo.

Plus, a nice WH20 is going to run possibly twice as much as FH. WH20 seems to be through the roof these days.

#21 7 years ago

Wh20 - simply love that game. FH is one of my favorites, but I think Wh20 would be my top choice, right now.

Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Plus, a nice WH20 is going to run possibly twice as much as FH. WH20 seems to be through the roof these days.

I don't know about that, FH seems to be priced really high these days, as well.

#22 7 years ago

Can't go wrong with either in my book. Plus if you get bored, you could easily sell either.

Oh, and I second the suggestion of considering Whirlwind. Great machine!

#24 7 years ago

Funhouse. awesome audio, combos, rudy talking at you so you don't need the dmd, have to combo for jackpot, lots of great stuff. You can go for mirror, gangway for awards, steps, multiball...lots off different ways to play. Whitewater i found boring, It was good but i don't miss it at all.

-c

#25 7 years ago

Had both and WH20 is deeper of course so I would go with it for the long haul.

I love FH too that is what got me back into collecting. I really miss Rudy but the prices they started demanding had me selling both and moving to newer pins with deeper rule sets.

I'm a little ADD so I get bored with simple rules very quick

#26 7 years ago

I'd say WH20 is the much better game. But if you get it and want to unload it at a reasonable price, let me know.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Wh20 - simply love that game. FH is one of my favorites, but I think Wh20 would be my top choice, right now.
I don't know about that, FH seems to be priced really high these days, as well.

You can pick up a nice fh in the 3's. Wh20 is going to be pretty high, if it's got nice/new ramps, boulders aren't cracked, no fade, topper is in nice condition etc. I can see a super nice one going in the 5k+ range pretty easy. There's a lot going on with that game. Parts are expensive. Seen lots of nice restored fh floating around, but not so many really nice wh20's.

#28 7 years ago

I would go with whitewater given you have a tz.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Wh20 is going to be pretty high, if it's got nice/new ramps, boulders aren't cracked, no fade, topper is in nice condition etc. I can see a super nice one going in the 5k+ range pretty easy.

#30 7 years ago

WH20 is Fun and has some Crazzy Ramp's , i've owned it 3-Times & would own it again , It also lOOks Killer Pimped out in Led's .

FH , Is another Great Pin !! Combo shots , and Led's is a must do !! FH I Personally liked Better

Here's the last FH that I owned , I sold it to a Pinsider and Ship'd it up North ..

WH20-_.jpg WH20-.jpg

#31 7 years ago

Not a big fan of Whitewater, but I do love my Funhouse!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside