You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“White Water vs. Fish Tales ”

• White Water Wins 111 votes
    73%
  • Fish Tales Wins 42 votes
    27%

(Multiple choice - 153 votes by 152 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5A7FAA3F-5BCA-46C8-823C-ED35FAC5F0E8 (resized).jpeg
5DE8595C-5180-4931-BDD4-307CAC88CF97 (resized).jpeg
93959A48-E31C-47A4-A83E-1DA135405B4F (resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

Which is better and why? I currently have both and I feel it’s a toss up at this point.

#2 4 years ago

Bang 4 Buck is Fish Tales

#3 4 years ago

Over here they arnt even close price wise. My project fish tales was 2grand nzd(1500usd)
Project white water 4k++nzd
Wh2o is my favorite 90s b/w
But man, fish tales has grown on me so much.....
Bang for buck
f.t. all day

#4 4 years ago

Both are unique games. Download Pinball FX and play both of them and see. Whitewater seems to have a challenging flipper gap at times. Fish tales can be a bit repetitive, but there are a few different ways to stack up points.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Download Pinball FX and play both of them and see.

Can he just play the real ones he owns instead?

#6 4 years ago

Fish Tales is my favorite game. I play it for 5 to 30 minutes every day. I hate fishing, I hate the music, but they both work great on the game. I also hate lightning flippers. Very fun game.

#7 4 years ago

If I need to shop it out, Fish Tales. If someone else is doing it White Water.

#8 4 years ago

Both are some of my favorites but i think wh20 has just more to it to for a home environment.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Can he just play the real ones he owns instead?

Sure, but the 5 minute timed modes with unlimited balls helps me get a better feel for the game in a shorter period of time.

#10 4 years ago

I like both. Whitewater harder to find and seems people have in big collections as well as Fish Tales a favorite among many. I love the center shot ramps in Fish Tales but I think if I had to own one it would be whitewater.

#11 4 years ago

I own both. I suck at pinball. So, FT for me because I can knock out a super high score every once in a while, kill the Monster Fish, rock the boat, yada yada. Not so with Whitewater. But that's because I keep banging my head against those brutal center shots (and mine is set up steep/to drain SDTM so it's a bit of a losing battle)...maybe one day when I suck less, I will get Whitewater to really roll.

Both are fun and "one more game" for sure!

Both are going nowhere...Bolted to the Floor

#12 4 years ago

Love these 2 games together. I restored the Fish Tales (Low End Pins) and HEP (High End Pins) restored the WH2O. Both great games but WH2O has so much more strategy and nuance once you really figure the game out. Best 90s pin for me

93959A48-E31C-47A4-A83E-1DA135405B4F (resized).jpeg93959A48-E31C-47A4-A83E-1DA135405B4F (resized).jpeg
#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Love these 2 games together. I restored the Fish Tales (Low End Pins) and HEP (High End Pins) restored the WH2O. Both great games but WH2O has so much more strategy and nuance once you really figure the game out. Best 90s pin for me[quoted image]

Cserold
What’s up with that topper on TOM?

#14 4 years ago

I own fish tales and have played white water. No brainer for me, fish tales is way more fun and challenging. Alot more action with fish tales as the playfield is wider open. Also has video mode (which i know some people hate, but i enjoy the break!)

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

fish tales is way more fun and challenging

Fun is subjective, so I can't argue that. But FT is boat ramp, boat ramp, boat ramp, boat ramp...monster fish all day. Sure you can lock balls and try your luck at multiball but the Jackpots don't compare to ramps and monster fish. Even the video mode is worth more than a multiball Jackpot. Don't get me wrong I have and love FT, but it doesn't compare to Whitewater.

Whitewater is strategy. Making shots and getting multiball started then trying for TRRRRIPPPLE JACKPOTS! If you are good you can sync that up with 5X playfield. There is a 5-way combo too. Oh and good luck getting Vacation Jackpot. It's tough. Whitewater all day long. Wish I wouldn't have sold one so I'd still have 3.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Whitewater is strategy.

Wh20 only issue is it, like fishtales, is a bit formulaic; But there's a lot more going on in it for sure.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

cserold
What’s up with that topper on TOM?

Some idiot sent me the link and told me I should buy it

#18 4 years ago

WW
+ramps are awesome
+upper PF
+great callouts overtop
+FLOW
- the boulder modes always start in the same spot.

FT
+video mode
+ great callouts overtop
+ Jackpot is hard to achieve It's challenging.
+ FAST
- Left/right repeat.

Both games are sold, both games shoot different. I personally love WW.

#19 4 years ago

I’d love a White Water, some guys are asking $8500 (restored). Wonder if CGC would ever remake one.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’d love a White Water, some guys are asking $8500 (restored). Wonder if CGC would ever remake one.

Been hoping to see White Water on the CGC list for future titles myself.

#21 4 years ago

Machine - For Sale
Fully restored (full original status) - “Here's the story: Domestic game, Mirco PF, professionally recleared. Chrome: lock bar, lock bar receiver, legs, leg bolts, apron guard, rails, hinges, hinge bolts, playfield gla...”
2019-05-28
Melbourne Beach, FL
8,500 (OBO)
Archived after: 43 days
Viewed: 2778 times
Contributed to Pinside

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#22 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

But FT is boat ramp, boat ramp, boat ramp, boat ramp...monster fish all day. Sure you can lock balls and try your luck at multiball but the Jackpots don't compare to ramps and monster fish. Even the video mode is worth more than a multiball Jackpot

I will have to respectfully disagree a bit here. In a tournament setting, sure going for monster fish is a valid and decent strategy. But at home when you're basically playing against your own high score and seeing just how high of a score you can get, you also incorporate mulitball into it. Once you progress to the super jackpots on FT they are worth 100 million points for the first round. My personal high score on my FT is 1.4 billion. It would take A TON of monster fish to get to that score if that was the only way you were playing.

I do like the idea of progressing to the vacation jackpot on WW though. Both great games and both offer a little something different from one another. You may even say they both compliment each other really well.

2 weeks later
#23 4 years ago

I own both now and it tough to say as I really enjoy both games. Both are classic early 90’s Williams and have the two best classic toppers in pinball IMO.

As for game play, both are challenging, fast playing games. Whitewater has the upper playfield and extra flipper which I think adds a lot to the game. It also has some unique ramps & great game flow. Just an all around fun, enjoyable pin.

Fishtales plays a bit faster and has great humor. I personally like the music and comments in Fishtales a bit better and the video mode is fun & hilarious. Fishtales was my second pin and still is my dad’s favorite in my 7 pin collection (my mom said Whitewater is now her second favorite after MMr, though).

There are a lot more Fishtales around and they are more affordable. For the money, I still think FT is one of the best bang for the buck pins out there.
5DE8595C-5180-4931-BDD4-307CAC88CF97 (resized).jpeg5DE8595C-5180-4931-BDD4-307CAC88CF97 (resized).jpeg

#24 4 years ago

I’m getting a white water tomorrow in trade. Hope it’s in as good a condition as the photos showed!!!!

5A7FAA3F-5BCA-46C8-823C-ED35FAC5F0E8 (resized).jpeg5A7FAA3F-5BCA-46C8-823C-ED35FAC5F0E8 (resized).jpeg
#25 4 years ago

I own both, and have had them in my collection for about 20 years. Neither are going anywhere soon.

With that said: I would give the 1/2 point to WH20. I enjoy them both, but FT would leave before WH20. "If" you have a chance to get either, at a good price... Jump quickly, or you'll miss out.

Kerry

#26 4 years ago

WH2O is the better one. Still, FT is a Good game too.

#27 4 years ago

owned both, whitewater is the better game/layout by far.

#28 4 years ago

Get the extra ball, ya weiner!

#29 4 years ago

Owned both, prefer FT.

WH20 can be a bit of a grind getting everything for Vacation jackpot.

FT is quick, intense fun trying to get the 100 million SJ and if you do, trying to get a 200 million SJ all the way up to 600m.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

I’m getting a white water tomorrow in trade. Hope it’s in as good a condition as the photos showed!!!![quoted image]

Nice, welcome to the club. Make sure to take all that puked blue GI out ASAP

#31 4 years ago

Enjoy both games but Fish Tales has more of that “one more game” thing going on. WH2O can get boring - to me - after a few games. Although it’s always one of my first go to games at the barcade.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Nice, welcome to the club. Make sure to take all that puked blue GI out ASAP

What color is good to use?

#33 4 years ago

GI should always be white
Which white is to you...I like a warm white to more more OG looking, but honestly LED warm white isn't near as warm as incandescent.

#34 4 years ago

White Water for me FT becomes repetitive.

#35 4 years ago

For the record Wh20 by a big margin; and I think FT is a classic.

#36 4 years ago

Comet Sunlight are a great choice for GI.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Get the extra ball, ya weiner!

My kids go nuts every time that comes up.

#38 4 years ago

Both games are great classics and pair well together. Whitewater is the better game overall but Fish Tales is no loser. Price wise Fish Tales is the big winner.

1 week later
#39 4 years ago

Here's hoping for a WW remake ! I'd be in!

#40 4 years ago

I have been playing both quite a bit. I believe that it is a toss up in some ways and agree with how they compliment one another.

#41 4 years ago

WH20 is one of the all-time greats. Rules are fantastic, have you shooting all over the playfield... managing to get 5X playfield and multiball at the same time is one of the bigger rushes in pinball, IMO. And the canyon yell when you hit a 5X jackpot is super sweet.

WH20 also has an ingenious sound package that progresses as your advance through the game.

A++++++

#42 4 years ago

Fishtales is better because of the flow, that boat shot is addictive.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement
Cabinet parts
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 169.00
Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Cabinet parts
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs
Armor and blades
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lockport, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-vs-fish-tales-?hl=furyosjustin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.