White Water upper flipper rebuild - spring?

By dluth

3 months ago

Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by dluth
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20180113_153105 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180113_153035 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180113_153012 (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

Just doing a rebuild of the upper flipper (what a pain in the arse removing all the ramps!) and wondering if I need to use that conical spring. I was thinking of replacing it with the normal spring, as it seems much snappier - the conical action seems not smooth at all.
But I'm assuming the conical spring is there for a reason - not sure if the other spring will get in the way of stuff. And I definitely don't want to put the upper playfield back in the machine only to have to take it off again!
Thanks for any advice.

#2 3 months ago

You can use a regular spring on that flipper, but the metal piece the spring hooks to on the pawl gets very close to a metal guide. I remember cutting a little off the end of the metal piece on the pawl to get some clearance.

Yeah there isn't much room under that upper playfield. Maybe if you remove some of the diverter stuff you might have room and not need to remove the ramps.

#3 3 months ago

I did the regular spring on mine when i replaced everything. I had to angle that metal piece to have it clear the guide rail, but didn't cut any off the end. Had to slightly trim and flatten part of the piece under the bolt to get it to angle though. You can kind of see it in these pics. Some pics included of the flipper resting and extended as well. Hope that helps.

IMG_20180113_153012 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180113_153035 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180113_153105 (resized).jpg

#4 3 months ago

Thanks guys, fantastic. Will get to work this arvo!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 989.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside