Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by guido
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190603_220745 (resized).jpg
WH2O chase (resized).JPG
solenoids (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Hi!
I have worked out a problem with the chasing lights in the topper. I thought the problem was on the chase light board in the backbox. However I have tried a different power driver board and now the lights are working properly. So the problem is on the power driver board. I have checked the manual and there are two solenoids that control the chasing lights. As you can see in the image the solenoids 27 and 28 control the chasing lights board.
I need your help here. I don't know what 27 and 28 are. Are they the transistors Q27 and Q28? Otherwise, what are the numbers 27 and 28 referring to?
solenoids (resized).png

#2 1 year ago

Would those be the transistors on the chase light board itself?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Would those be the transistors on the chase light board itself?

I don't think so. Those numbers don't appear on the Chase light board diagram in the manual.

#4 1 year ago

On the Solenoid/Flasher table, look for 5th column, called Backbox connections -> J105, J118. Now, go for Solenoid Wiring, at page 3-9 in the manual.
On Power Driver check
J105, pins 4-5
J118, pins 2-3

...and look for required voltages.

WH2O chase (resized).JPG
#5 1 year ago

Hi Davi, I appreciate your help.
Shouldn't I check J123, pins 4-5 according to the image you have uploaded?

What I don't understand yet is what solenoids 27 and 28 are and where I locate them. If they are defective, should I replace them?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from guido:

Hi Davi, I appreciate your help.
Shouldn't I check J123, pins 4-5 according to the image you have uploaded?
What I don't understand yet is what solenoids 27 and 28 are and where I locate them. If they are defective, should I replace them?

At 1st step, makes sense to check voltage levels.
As 2nd step, check the traces at bottom side, from J123 pin 4-5 to the sub-circuit around Q20 and Q22.

20190603_220745 (resized).jpg
#7 1 year ago

I cannot chek voltages at the moment since the power driver board has a bad capacitator and it doesn't get 5V. I'm waiting for the a new capacitator. I can check the traces. If the voltage weren't right, what should I check then?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from guido:

I cannot chek voltages at the moment since the power driver board has a bad capacitator and it doesn't get 5V. I'm waiting for the a new capacitator. I can check the traces. If the voltage weren't right, what should I check then?

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#WPC-89_Power.2FDriver_Board

#9 1 year ago

Thank you for your help. I will try everything to isolate the problem.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from guido:

The topper lights went out on mine. I had my tech (who’s a career electrician) buddy go through the entire driver board and he replaced two of the capacitors. Everything back to working perfect.

My recommendation is to not sweat it until you get your 5V issue fixed. I am thinking that will fix your issue.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

The topper lights went out on mine. I had my tech (who’s a career electrician) buddy go through the entire driver board and he replaced two of the capacitors. Everything back to working perfect.
My recommendation is to not sweat it until you get your 5V issue fixed. I am thinking that will fix your issue.

Which two capacitators did you replace? C11 and C5?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside