View topic image gallery

IMG_4128 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4127 (resized).jpeg
20190603_220745 (resized).jpg
WH2O chase (resized).JPG
solenoids (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Hi!
I have worked out a problem with the chasing lights in the topper. I thought the problem was on the chase light board in the backbox. However I have tried a different power driver board and now the lights are working properly. So the problem is on the power driver board. I have checked the manual and there are two solenoids that control the chasing lights. As you can see in the image the solenoids 27 and 28 control the chasing lights board.
I need your help here. I don't know what 27 and 28 are. Are they the transistors Q27 and Q28? Otherwise, what are the numbers 27 and 28 referring to?
solenoids (resized).pngsolenoids (resized).png

#2 4 years ago

Would those be the transistors on the chase light board itself?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Would those be the transistors on the chase light board itself?

I don't think so. Those numbers don't appear on the Chase light board diagram in the manual.

#4 4 years ago

On the Solenoid/Flasher table, look for 5th column, called Backbox connections -> J105, J118. Now, go for Solenoid Wiring, at page 3-9 in the manual.
On Power Driver check
J105, pins 4-5
J118, pins 2-3

...and look for required voltages.

WH2O chase (resized).JPGWH2O chase (resized).JPG
#5 4 years ago

Hi Davi, I appreciate your help.
Shouldn't I check J123, pins 4-5 according to the image you have uploaded?

What I don't understand yet is what solenoids 27 and 28 are and where I locate them. If they are defective, should I replace them?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from guido:

Hi Davi, I appreciate your help.
Shouldn't I check J123, pins 4-5 according to the image you have uploaded?
What I don't understand yet is what solenoids 27 and 28 are and where I locate them. If they are defective, should I replace them?

At 1st step, makes sense to check voltage levels.
As 2nd step, check the traces at bottom side, from J123 pin 4-5 to the sub-circuit around Q20 and Q22.

20190603_220745 (resized).jpg20190603_220745 (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago

I cannot chek voltages at the moment since the power driver board has a bad capacitator and it doesn't get 5V. I'm waiting for the a new capacitator. I can check the traces. If the voltage weren't right, what should I check then?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from guido:

I cannot chek voltages at the moment since the power driver board has a bad capacitator and it doesn't get 5V. I'm waiting for the a new capacitator. I can check the traces. If the voltage weren't right, what should I check then?

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#WPC-89_Power.2FDriver_Board

#9 4 years ago

Thank you for your help. I will try everything to isolate the problem.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from guido:

The topper lights went out on mine. I had my tech (who’s a career electrician) buddy go through the entire driver board and he replaced two of the capacitors. Everything back to working perfect.

My recommendation is to not sweat it until you get your 5V issue fixed. I am thinking that will fix your issue.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

The topper lights went out on mine. I had my tech (who’s a career electrician) buddy go through the entire driver board and he replaced two of the capacitors. Everything back to working perfect.
My recommendation is to not sweat it until you get your 5V issue fixed. I am thinking that will fix your issue.

Which two capacitators did you replace? C11 and C5?

3 years later
#12 11 months ago

my topper lights went out after only turning it on 5 times after a technician came out and fixed it (350.00)... so, not doing THAT again. how would a non-electrician, non-technician go about fixing these topper lights w/o calling a tech again?

#13 11 months ago
Quoted from KDJ29:

my topper lights went out after only turning it on 5 times after a technician came out and fixed it (350.00)... so, not doing THAT again. how would a non-electrician, non-technician go about fixing these topper lights w/o calling a tech again?

Firstly check you have the correct bulbs in there.

A lot of people make the mistake of putting regular 555 pinball bulbs or LEDs in the sockets.

The bulbs are supposed to be 12v 194 bulbs.

See what you have in there.

rd

3 months later
#14 8 months ago

so, the bulbs are right, they worked for a year no problem, ANOTHER technician had me buy a new topper light board from marco (103.75), and only 1 of the 2 led lights on the board light up. as far as all the main backboard boards, they were all just re-done by Eugene in MN. "bulletproofed". so, after 3 different technicians, re-worked boards, a new plug, and a new chaser light board, the lights still arent working. it's definetly a power issue, either the driver boards or capacitors or a fuse. thing is, I've had 2 techs come out already (700.00) and its still not working. I was hoping to get some help from this forum, im at my wits end with this. as you can see, the red led on the right isnt lighting up (no power), and thats the new plug right beside it. brand new board too. so it has to be the power driver or capacitors thats feeding the power to that cord/plug... previously that plug was burnt to a crisp, so there has to be a power problem that the techs dont want to mess with.

IMG_4127 (resized).jpegIMG_4127 (resized).jpegIMG_4128 (resized).jpegIMG_4128 (resized).jpeg
#15 8 months ago

Fuse F111 on the powerdriver ok ?
J104/J105 with the WHT-RED wires connected ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

17,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-topper-lights-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.