• Latest reply 4 years ago by bssbllr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Wh20 Switch (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Howdy, fellow Pinsiders! I recently bought my first ever pinball machine which is White Water. I'm very inexperienced with electronics and don't fully know how a pinball machine functions, but I'm trying to learn as best as I can. Few days ago the test report indicated that I need to check switch 57 (Canyon Main). When I test this single switch on the upper playfield with a ball, it does not register anything. The soldering is in contact. Today I checked the backbox switch matrix board and everything there as well looks as it should in switch 57 area. I also tried to examine the under playfield area for loose connectors or wires, but couldn't find any. At this point I thought it would be best to ask for help as I don't know what to do next. How should I approach this problem? I apology my bad english as it's not my native language. Because of this, I might need as simplified instructions as possible. Any help is appreciated!

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Osvivalt:

Today I checked the backbox switch matrix board and everything there as well looks as it should in switch 57 area.

Not sure I understand what you mean by this. Could you explain like maybe wiring or the switch does register.

Quoted from Osvivalt:

How should I approach this problem?

Well you could start by listening to the switch when you push down. Inside the switch you will here a clicking when activated. Could compare to other switches to make sure nothing came apart inside.Still would not rule out bad switch but a start. The manual can be downloaded off ipdb and if you go into switch test it will show you the color wires associated with that column and row of switch 57 to check the wires since switches are daisy chained. Like the old thread says check diodes.

#4 4 years ago

If it was my game I would replace the switch. I'm assuming you don't have replacements but order them now from pinballlife. They come with a diode attached for about $3.50 I believe. You are going to need them in this hobby.

In the meantime I would look at each switch on the areas I highlighted. Check the wires and the diodes to make sure none are broken off. These switches are daisy chained to one another. A broken wire at another switch could affect others down the row or column....like christmas lights. If everything physically appears fine test each one of those switches in "Switch Edges" in the test menu. You should hear each switch register with a beep and see it on the dot matrix display when activated. If one doesn't work it could be a bad diode at that switch impacting others (Switch 57) down the line.

Buy switch here.
https://www.pinballlife.com/microswitch-with-diode.html

If those options don't work it could be a switch matrix issue on the board. There are ways to test that also but you will need a diode and with a piece of wire soldered to the end. You can pull the switch matrix connectors (one for columns, one for rows) and touch the wire end to one and diode to the other and you should see the switches register in Switch Edge Tests. I don't think this will be a problem as it sounds like only one switch is out.
Wh20 Switch (resized).JPGWh20 Switch (resized).JPG

#5 4 years ago

Thank you for your replies! I'll start with these directions and see if they solve the problem. It's most likely a simple switch problem, which makes me think this is a good way to start practicing repairing. Probably missed something already while checking. I will also order some replacement and spare parts as I don't have many of them yet. I'm also buying some basic tools to start with (I acquired the game only a few days ago). I'll report more after monday because I have to travel for a few days.

Quoted from bssbllr:

Not sure I understand what you mean by this. Could you explain like maybe wiring or the switch does register.

Bad expression there. I only checked the soldering joints were intact and that everything appeared physically fine.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Osvivalt:

Thank you for your replies! I'll start with these directions and see if they solve the problem. It's most likely a simple switch problem, which makes me think this is a good way to start practicing repairing. Probably missed something already while checking. I will also order some replacement and spare parts as I don't have many of them yet. I'm also buying some basic tools to start with (I acquired the game only a few days ago). I'll report more after monday because I have to travel for a few days.

Bad expression there. I only checked the soldering joints were intact and that everything appeared physically fine.

The easiest way to find out if the switch itself is working is to bring up test mode, and then bypass the switch with a small wire or paperclip. The switch does nothing but complete the circuit when triggered. If you bypass the switch by connectin the two areas where the wires connect to the switch with a paperclip or wire, you know it is an error with the switch itself. If it doesnt register, the error is elsewhere. Also, if there are any connectors on the wire that comes out of the switch... unplug them and plug them back in and test. Good luck!

#7 4 years ago

I was able to fix the switch, thanks to your help! It simply seems to be a bad switch I have to replace. It does click when pushed but barely does so. I also went to check the diode more closely and the other switches in the area Djshakes highlighted. They were all fine. Now I understand generally a lot more about switches which is a good start. Cheers!

#8 4 years ago

Here’s someone fixing a switch in detail just thought it was kool.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/microswitch-repair

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

17,250 (OBO)
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-switch-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.