• 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Strathcona_County-20130208-00054.jpg
Strathcona_County-20130208-00052.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nighthawk128.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hi All, I've read alot of posts on the topic of switch matrix, burned alot of hours allready so I have a clue somewhat except this is unique. Just running it passed you guys to see if I'm missing something obvious.

This started when there were switches being replaced and wires hanging down all while LED's were being installed and flipper assemblies being refurbished. Wires and plugs everywhere, some got plugged in, some didn't but on one particular power up to see the lights the machine went dark. This is where the journey begins, guessing a solenoid wire touched the switch matrix...

Fuse F115 blew, traced back to a burned out chip on the CPU board, #IC ULN2803 at U20 which was socketed but I replaced and socketed #LM339 at U18 and U19 for good measure at the same time. Installed the board and machine powered up fine with no apparent issues until I noticed it couldn't see there were balls in the trough. Those 3 switches or any switch on Column 7 worked outright. When I messed around with those switches diodes I could force a closure in the switch edge test menu. but the closure registers in the column 6 which is the opto switches. example is switch 76 (Right Trough) registers on switch 66 (Left Ramp Main), switch 66 opto also registers for it's respective spot. Soooo interestingly enough, if I take out the opto column wire (Green-Blue-Column 6) then neither of the switch column's work AT ALL. I rechecked the soldering work, there is no short between pins J207-6 and J207-7 from the board (related to column 6 and 7). I checked the Green-Blue and the Green Violet for a short under the playfield and none shows.

I swaped the CPU board between Funhouse to try in Whitewater but it won't boot up with Funhouses board, I pulled the opto board out of Whitewater and ran it in world cup soccer 94. It works just fine so will use world cups in WW later on. I'm stumped on how a wire from column 7 is registering on a column 6 wire where the green wire for column 7 can't work independently.

Some more info, I purchased extra U20 Chips, same result. I also got extra LM339's so I'm going to replace U16 and U17, just so I can move forward on this instead of staring at this game but also tag and Identify visually each switch on column 7 to see if there is contact to something.

Any opinion is greatly appreciated, hoping I can wrap this up by christmas! =D

Strathcona_County-20130208-00052.jpgStrathcona_County-20130208-00052.jpg Strathcona_County-20130208-00054.jpgStrathcona_County-20130208-00054.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nighthawk128.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-switch-matrix-column-7-trying-to-work-in-column-6-doesnt-work?tu=Nighthawk128 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.