• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by FilthyRich
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0550 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sscnz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi all, need some guidance on how to troubleshoot this issue. I have completely renovated my White Water and have put everything back together. Everything is working except I just noticed that when the ball rolls over the Rapids Ramp Main switch (insanity falls ramp) I occasionally would get an extra ball. I ran the switch test and triggering the Rapids Ramp Main switch first triggers the Extra Ball switch, then the Bigfoot Cave switch and finally the correct Rapids Ramp Main switch.

All other switches work fine and I can trigger Extra Ball and the Bigfoot Cave switch and they work normally. Seem to only be the Rapids Ramp Main switch that triggers other switches. Could this be a faulty switch altogether, or a short somewhere. Needs some advice on where to start troubleshooting.

Thanks!!
/S

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from FilthyRich:

While I'm not at all familiar with your game I had a quick look at Whitewater's switch matrix. The Rapids Ramp Main switch is Row 1 Column 7, Extra Ball switch is Row 6 Column 5, and the Bigfoot Cave is Row 8 Column 5. The fact that these three switches do not all have a common row or column makes me think that you should take a look at all three switches. I would concentrate on looking at each switch's diode. Is one shorted or reversed?; Or perhaps accidentally touching one of the switch's other lugs? Any of these issues allows current to flow backwards which may cause another switch to erroneously show that it is closed.
Start there, then check your wiring, making sure that the correct colored wire is where it should be. I reckon it's a diode problem though.
Good luck!

Thanks, I downloaded the OZ made Pintrix to help me troubleshoot. =)

Just one question, would a bad switch be able to cause this? IE, considering it's only the Rapids Ramp Main switch that causes the other triggers to go off, would it be possible that the actual switch is broken? Or would this be caused by a broken diode? If so how can I test the diodes?

I'll go through all cables today.

/Stefan

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Switch wired wrong, diode missing or backwards. Go back through everything. All of your switches should be wired the same with the diode in the same direction on each. Go slow, you’ll find it.
Marc

Going through it right now.. =) Already found one issue, the Extra Ball switch, middle pin was touching one of the diods. Unfortunately, I still have the issue so going through everything up to down.

Is there a risk that a diod is broken? Any way I can test with my DMM?

Thanks!!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Unlikely the diode is broken. They are best tested with one leg removed from the circuit. If you’ve just rebuilt the game, good chance you subtly wired something wrong. You’ll find it. Matrix issues are the worst.

While going through each switch, I found below. Some goo coming out of the diod. So how do I test the diod? Remove one leg, then? =)

IMG_0550 (resized).JPGIMG_0550 (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Unlikely the diode is broken. They are best tested with one leg removed from the circuit. If you’ve just rebuilt the game, good chance you subtly wired something wrong. You’ll find it. Matrix issues are the worst.

Puh, spent half my Sunday going through every switch and found a few issues, diod short as well as exactly what you guys suggested, I put one of the cables on the wrong end of the diod. Re-soldered and it's all good! YAY! I can now play my White Water after it being down for about 3 weeks.. the whole family suffered which is why I'm looking to buy a 2nd pin now. lol

Thanks all! Without the community here I'm sure I'd be playing a lot less pinball! =)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sscnz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-single-switch-triggering-two-other-switches?tu=sscnz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.