hELLS_YEAH_(resized).png
warren-davis-1_7_(resized).jpg
Attach20845_20160211_211256_(resized).jpg
rick-big-picture.jpg
20150411_165544.jpg
pps-1.jpg
scroogemcduck.jpg
lucifer-1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bstyles.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#129 9 years ago

This should be a kickstarter campaign.

Depending on donation level, you get the product at different discounts.

1 month later
#240 9 years ago

Not trying to add fuel to the flame, but it would be interesting to know if any copyrights that are claimed to be protected are REGISTERED.

If the copyright is not federally registered, the copyright holder can't pursue statutory damages.

Without statutory damages, the holder would only be able to pursue actual damages.

Actual damages would be pretty hard to document if there are no revenue generated from the sale of the new product, and since the old product is no longer sold, there is no loss of revenue.

If they knowingly try to pursue a statutory damages claim, then you can file a counterclaim for abuse of process, and if you win, go back after them for malicious prosecution.

An IP lawsuit will costs both sides upward of $20k per month for at least 18 months in federal court. In this case I would expect that it will cost the plaintiff a lot more since he'd have to retain local representation in a foreign country.

As a businessman, I respect that Rick made an investment, however, there should be room for the little guys in this hobby that are just trying to make it better. No doubt that Rick is seen publicly as a bully and, even worse, a hindrance to the hobby. That's the real shame, because I'm sure he got into the hobby for the same reason as the rest of us... Reminds me of Anakin Skywalker.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer (but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night)

4 months later
#340 8 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

Basicaly it's not a remaster. I redo everything from the ground up. It's my work. It's just that someone else could make money out of it because it's close enough to the original although I don't see that Rick could do much about it - but I'm not the one paying money for a lawyer to find out.

I'd be willing to fund the fight. I'm not a lawyer but I understand IP law and have dealt with it extensively. I'm also well-funded.
Email or PM me.

#348 8 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Wow, both iceman44 and bstyles are willing to both fund and argue for you if this would ever go to court! That's awesome, there's no reason for you not to move forward now and expose Rick for the fraud he is.

To be clear: I am not calling Rick a fraud or any other names. He's a businessman. I have respect his investments and the IP he owns.

As a pinball hobbyist, I'm thankful that Rick & PPS continue to provide us parts for our pins. He has the original tooling and without that, we'd all be missing a lot of large plastic parts. Should his investment be rewarded? Absolutely.

However, I do feel he has overstepped his bounds and legal authority on these ground-up sound re-orchestration projects. Here, I feel he is doing the hobby a sever disservice while at the same time harming his reputation and alienating a lot of enthusiasts.

That's why I'm willing to help. I'm actually hopeful that cooler heads will prevail and that when both sides calm down and discuss this, there'd be away to 'make the whole greater than the sum of the parts.' If not, I feel confident that that these sound projects could proceed with or without Rick's blessing.

#350 8 years ago

PM received this morning, about 1am (someone was up late):

"Pinsider PPS has sent you a message via PinsideMail™:

WMS sounds on games are copyright WMS, are you seriously challenging that then read up on copyright and perhaps talk to the wms attorney. The only licensee for any WMS IP is PPS, so while we are probably willing to discuss with people ways to make things, we are not interested in people who decide that they can violate WMS IP, which we are contractually responsible to report to WMS, and they will take action on specific situations. Perhaps you should understand why anyone other than a licensee would be free to reproduce/remaster WMS game sounds?"

Rick --

See man, this is why the hobby you support tends to hate you. Always first with the threats... I was actually trying to defend you in my latest post, but you just proved what a D-bag you are by the tone of your PM to me. Now, putting aside your asshole-ness, let's get to some rather important questions:

Can you tell us if the sounds were (1) registered with the Copyright Office, (2) filed as a compilation, (3) when this alleged copyright was filed and approved, and (4) who is the owner of this alleged copyright?

If you could provide the copyright registration number, I'll have it ordered and then we can examine it for the purposes of possible litigation. You have my email.... send me a copy of the registration certificate. We'll start there.

Since you've told me to read up on copyright law, I have to assume you are already well-versed, and you must know that without a registered copyright, you're not entitled to statutory damages. Without one, at best you can try for actual damages.

Have you thought about how you're going to prove actual damages? I mean, how many original sound files would you sell if this re-orchestration were not available and competing? By my count... NONE. You don't sell the sound as a product. It's freely available for downloadable from your side http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/tech/wpcroms.html and ipdb.org.

And by change you do have a registered copyright for the game's sound compilation, you're still going to spend a minimum of $500k to defend your alleged copyright. I say let the fun begin.

#361 8 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Too late. He's already threatened to never pursue certain projects or bury them at the bottom of the to do list as retaliation. He's a bully plain and simple. The day I'm afraid of angering someone who sells wares to me is the day I sell all my B/W pins and stick to Stern. There is no way in hell I would ever cower to that person. Let's not forget this is his business/livelihood. He needs us, not the other way around.

Actually, this post includes two potential nose cutting off face-spites:

1) Rick (of course) threatening to not pursue projects and/or offer products as a retaliatory measure, and,

2) Skins selling off his B/W pins because he felt Rick was such a(an) [fill in the blank].

#364 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I was thinking that it's possible for someone else to pursue the WMS license as well. He doesn't OWN the IP, he's renting it and someone else could rent it too and put a stop to this nonsense.

That all depends on the contract. I suspect that the contract Rick has with WMS is pretty solid.

#381 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes. Not a lawyer, but this should fall under compulsory licensing I would think.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_license#United_States
Basically you don't need permission, but you pay a royalty.

Sound recordings may be treated differently: https://library.osu.edu/blogs/copyright/2013/05/15/198/

What we need is proof of Williams copyright filing, so see how it was filed. Compilation of sounds perhaps? Perhaps never at all...

Regardless, there's no doubt that a royalty to PPS is appropriate if PPS truly has the license for the copyright on the work. Then again, if this re-orchestration is given away for no consideration, then a royalty of zero is zero.

There are a few variables here. First to horse - Endprodukt needs to finish the project. Then the cart - does he want to charge for his masterpiece? If so, the easiest thing would be to pay off Rick with his 10% of sale price license model.

Either way, I think what is clear is that all of us with a WH20 would gladly pay a fair price to make one of our favorite games event better!

#384 8 years ago
Quoted from Pablito:

Well Rick, any way you can let this one slide? I know us WH2O owners would love to see this whole thing work out.

Rofl

10 months later
#463 7 years ago

Here stateside cheering you and your amazing project on!

1 month later
#515 7 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Great job but what a pity you cannot share it

I think he can share it, but can't make $$$ without paying a royalty.

I say charge $10 and give PPS their $1 royalty. That may not work since electronic -- however will Rick attach his hologram to an IP download??? LOL.

Of course, we're all free to donate more if we want to 'tip' the author...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bstyles.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-reorchestration-for-pinsound-and-warren-davis?tu=bstyles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.