hELLS_YEAH_(resized).png
warren-davis-1_7_(resized).jpg
Attach20845_20160211_211256_(resized).jpg
rick-big-picture.jpg
20150411_165544.jpg
pps-1.jpg
scroogemcduck.jpg
lucifer-1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jam_Burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 9 years ago

Can you or somebody else explain a little bit more about the nature of the Pinsound project (for those of us who aren't familiar with it)?

#9 9 years ago

This is very intriguing to me.

With a game like Terminator, I can see how you'd be able to use the original callouts over samples from the OST. But for something like White Water, how do you go about re-creating the original music? Do you need players (musicians) or is this done in non-realtime using a computer program and virtual instruments?

Can I do stuff like pull samples from the original roms, add drums and whatnot and then have the new files play during the gameplay?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

You can hear my Terminator 2 Sounds I made for them:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2932654/T2%20Reorchestrated.mp3
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2932654/T2%20Reorchestrated%20OST.mp3
Everything is new, including the Voiceacting made by Joe Gaudet.

This is insane man! Good work!!!!

#35 9 years ago

I just sent some extra in. This is a really cool project. I've done my own dabbling in audio production and this type of thing is very work intensive!

If anybody doesn't "get it" listen to the files for Terminator 2 in the headphones!

#44 9 years ago

Since you're re-doing the sounds there should not be any issue with infringment on the recording. What you're doing is like a "cover version" of a song. Much more managable from a legal perspective. Also, since you're in Europe, rules may even be more in your favor.

#52 9 years ago

Dennis is a member here. You could always ask him if he remembers!

2 months later
#84 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

it is very time consuming and all I can say is that it's done when it's done. 3 month maybe. Big plus is that speech is done by Warren Davis. There are some very difficult music tracks with many many different instruments. I will post updates as I did for IJ and T2.

Yeah, this is a daunting project to say the least (many instruments, wave sound efx, etc.) I can't wait to hear what it sounds like when you finish.

I was thinking about this project the other day and it dawned on me that the VUK sound effect was probably intended to be a whistle

http://www.pond5.com/sound-effect/8910846/human-whistle-attention.html

On the game it comes out sounding more like this (FFW to the end)

2 weeks later
#92 9 years ago

Wow, drums sound great! Synth sounds right. Bass sounds great too. The guitar seems just a tad off to my ears. The notes and timing sound perfect but the overall sound comes off a little less agressive to me than the original. Maybe it needs distortion or overdrive or something (I'm totally talking out of my ass here). I don't know, it "feels" more laid back to me for some reason. I could be tripping. In any event this is awesome!

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Man, when the multi millions woman's voice comes in it's such a stark reminder of how terrible the stock sound is!

The multi-millions woman doesn't sound that bad that on my machine. Maybe it's the speakers rounding out the rough edges? Maybe it just sounds horrible in comparison to the crystal clear sounds Endprodukt is getting with nice stereo separation and whatnot. It does sound horrible compared to Endprodukt's mix though!

#110 9 years ago

Why not just take up a collection in the water sounds? If a bunch contribute a little it should work.

#118 9 years ago

I hope it has the sounds you need!

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

It has and delivers greatly.
Here we go:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2932654/000212-whitewater_multi_ball.rar
This is a great example. The File White Water was the first one I did. I used samples I could find on the internet for free or ripped them from Youtube. Compare it to White Water 2 which I did with the samples from the pack. Loving it. Hope you guys hear the difference!

Awesome!

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

I just had many samples to make this. I'm really happy with the result!

Honestly, even finding that sample pack was a good find! Who would have thought.

1 month later
#145 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

It will take some time to finish. There are so many tracks in many different genres. Not an easy task. Rock, country, bluegrass, hard rock. Besides that my only source are 8 bit mono tracks. Don't expect anything finished too soon. What I can promise is that it will be released and it will be finished. I will show something as soon as all the rafts are done which will be soon. I'm constantly working on it but there is no sense in showing every little step.

I was playing yesterday, listening to the song on the L-6 rom that plays when your game is over and thought, GOOD GOD, Endprodukt has his work cut out for him! For every Raft level it just gets deeper and deeper.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

Tammy Tuckey, daughter of Todd Tuckey, will be the female voice in my reorchestration for White Water!
She did a great job and I'm very thankful she helped out.

That's great.

#220 9 years ago

Has anybody ever looked into what PPS actually owns? Do they even own the compositions?

#263 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The arrangements aren't free and clear. There's really no legal ambiguity about that part. Just be nice if there was a creative solution for this. There's no money involved and no value lost for Williams. And maybe there's a way everyone could win in the end with a little cooperation.

Do we know that PPS owns the compositions?

#274 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

PPS doesn't own anything. Williams owns the compositions. Rick's just a middle man, he's really not the key party in any of this except as someone who could be a reasonable go between. Which he doesn't seem all that interested in doing apparently. But who knows, all we're seeing are a couple forum posts.

Do we know if Williams owns the compositions then? I would presume so but I wonder what the contracts with the employees who actually composed the music say. A blanket contact that Williams owns any and all IP created by the employee would probably end it but you never really know. It's pretty common these days for people to claim infringment when they don't even own the copyright in the first place.

#276 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

If he's doing re-orchestrations and not selling them, how is this not Fair Use?

Fair use is a pretty complex determination. Whether the infringement is for "commercial purposes" is only one of the factors the Court looks at.

#286 9 years ago

If PPS was smart they'd PAY Endprodukt to allow them to sell the files on their website or come up with a profit sharing arrangement. Win win situation. Endprodukt gets paid for his hard work and PPS get's a return on their investment.

2 weeks later
#304 9 years ago

Effing PPS.

1 month later
#318 8 years ago

Doesn't Roger Sharpe control all of the Williams IP? Is there a way to contact him or whoever controls the rights? Certainly a deal can be made here. The end product (tee hee) is so impressive that it would be crazy for this not to be released for all to enjoy.

8 months later
#422 8 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

Find top notch musicians who are serious about this stuff, have the time, the knowledge, the passion and the equiptment to record stuff. Especially the Guitar is a beast. My source is a 1992 mono midi file that I have to play at slower speads to hear the notes of 6-8 different instruments at the same time.
I would love to have it on my own machine so that's the biggest motivation. My WH2O is in pieces and get's restored piece by piece. There is also happening other stuff in the background that I don't want to talk about because it's nothing to get seriously happy about right now.
IJ and T2 are basically a joke against WH2O.

Also, I imagine the original wasn't really "played", at least in the same way. The original sounds like mostly synths.

#431 8 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

The original is composed on a keyboard although it resembles real instruments. Still hard to do and very time consuming. I didn't have a daughter when I did T2 and IJ. Made it a little easier.

No doubt! What I meant was that the fact that it was all done on synths originally probably makes it a bit of a challenge when you're using other instruments at times. Your output has been AMAZING though so I'm sure you'll pull it off. Maybe you could start a thread "Looking for talented musicians". I'm sure there are some bad asses on pinside.

And yeah, nothing like having a new child to take almost all of your freetime and make you so tired that you don't have the energy even if you did have free time!

4 months later
#472 7 years ago

Sweet! I was just wondering about this the other day.

I also figure it's probably time to make sure you got all the voice work needed! In tournament mode there is some dialogue that never shows up in home-mode. Notably the "Anybody got a light?" etc. for the first Lost Mine award that is not automatically spotted in tournament mode.

2 months later
#544 7 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

Told you guys. BUT... just to let you know: I heard of this today. Don't expect anything from my side soon and I have no idea under which circumstances or price this will be going out to you. I have also no idea how this affects my old mixes and/or mixes with scores from movies.
I'm waiting on my playfield and hope to reassemble my machine soon. The way I see it...as soon as I start playing it again, I want it to sound better so... let's see

Just wanted to say "thanks" again for keeping with this. I only have enough chops in the production area to know that White Water is a MASSIVE undertaking and your work on it thus far has been unrivaled! Cheers to you good sir!

1 year later
#585 6 years ago

Hey Endprodukt, have you seen this software that will recognize notes and create a midi-template for you? Apparently it does a pretty good job, although you need to go back over once the software has done its work and make some corrections here and there. I wondered if it might help on some of the parts where you can't find musicians to play the parts. If you're interested I can shoot you a link to where I found out about it.

2 months later
#609 6 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

I like it but wh2o is the pin with some of the best original music out there imho. Having Warren Davis as Wet Willies original voice is very important to me, too.
Great work and it's always cool to have options!

Yep, the building music is great. By the time you're in the upper raft levels and the tempo is picked up it's hard not to get sucked in. I also love how stripped down the music is when you first start a game.

Here's the MIDI groove extraction thing I was talking about (he starts talking about it at 5:29 in the video)

This is the video where he really starts MIDI note extraction to make up for the fact that he couldn't find a keyboard player.

So basically, you could use note extraction on the original soundtrack to extract the notes, and then replace the sounds with your own MIDI instrument so that the notes are the same but the instruments sounds are updated with better quality sounds.

1 year later
#714 4 years ago

This is one of those projects where it may be hard for somebody who doesn't understand audio engineering to really appreciate the amount of work done and the enormity of the accomplishment. White Water's original sound quality may not be the best but the intricacy of the soundtrack is daunting.

The clips I've heard sound great as far as the quality of the samples (especially compared to the original quality). I mean, who even has access to a studio facility like that for pinball sounds? What you're NOT going to get is an exact 1-to-1 replica of the music and call-outs. I think that if anybody is expecting this project to sound exactly like the original but with hi-fi sound quality, then they are setting themselves up for disappointment. Even with Warren Davis doing the call-outs, there's simply no way that he would say the lines the same way, with the same inflections, after 30 years. I hope that most people understand just how special it is that Endprodukt got Warren Davis at all.

The music is what I'm most excited about though. Maybe the clips are gone but the work in progress posted was pretty amazing. You got Endproduckt playing stuff live that wasn't even recorded live in the first place! And the quality of the sounds far surpasses the type of sounds they used with the original. Objectively speaking, it sounds leagues better.

On a side note, my suspicion is that "Howdy Wet" is a sample on the chip but it's just not utilized in the game program.

3 weeks later
#756 4 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

Same way I do it except I'm using real instruments and vsti. Not doing metal either haha
Whirlpool demands some more aggressive guitars.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/04een9pjv676hnj/wh2o%20dingens.mp3?dl=0
This is my attempts to bluegrass...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y19ld305su7pe7a/wh2o%20bluegrass.mp3?dl=0
And finally having the one and only Warren Davis
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bxzxhztztc4vld/Welcome%20To%20Wet%20Willys.wav?dl=0
80 percent of the songs are done but I'm standing in my own way with a standard so high it's hard to achieve without transcription.
Btw... The original boards played the songs on the internal soundchip in real time with code. No midi. No storage.

Dood, that's fricken' awesome!

#757 4 years ago

I can test as long as you don't need the pinsound installed. I sure would be nice to have wavforms of the original sounds and companion ones with the new sounds so testers could do A/B comparisons in the DAW.

1 month later
#834 4 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

Thanks to everyone. So I actually loaded up the music yesterday to find out that none of the plugins I used back in the day still work. Now it sounds even better to my ears....god I need to finish this. No pressure at all.

Ughhhh. That's tough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
17,250 (OBO)
12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jam_Burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-reorchestration-for-pinsound-and-warren-davis?tu=Jam_Burglar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.