(Topic ID: 48835)

White Water Owners/Previous Owners: a question for you...

By Chambahz

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by copperpot
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4000533600_592e525a39_o.jpg
3999769577_fbcc3a18bb_o.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I'm considering buying a White Water. Trying to guess how long I'll want this pin in my very small collection (max of 2, only 1 setup at a time).
I have ACDC Premium currently, and can't imagine ever wanting to sell it.
TSPP just wasn't fast/exciting enough (though it's a great pin for a larger collection in my opinion).

I expect I can get a players pin for $3000 or less, or a much nicer one for $5000 or more.

I may want StarTrek when it comes out, but could sell either WH2O or ACDC when the time comes.

So I'd love to hear from previous owners as to why they sold, and current owners who will never sell theirs, or are getting bored of it (after how long?).

#2 6 years ago

I have had wh2o for about 4 years. I bought it because my wife wanted it and now I hope to never part with it. I am psyched for colrdmd soon too! gameplay is awesome, and there is a lot to do. In my opinion a great game for a small collection. Has tons of ramps(obviously ) and humor.

#3 6 years ago

I got mine in November and had it beat in about 2 weeks. Its not like I was playing it 5 hours a day and Im definitely not a very good pinball player. Its still fun to play and I enjoy it, but I am thinking ill put it up for trade soon. Not sure if its an easy machine or if I got lucky.

#4 6 years ago

Hey,

I bought mine in February of last year, and sold it in June. There are two things that I really did not like about the game.

If you're someone like me, you play games with an eye toward completing them; in WhiteWater, that involves reaching the wizard mode. One of the tasks in getting to the wizard mode in WhiteWater involves lighting the RIVER letters to progress the bonus multiplier. The letters are inserts directly in front of five stand up targets on the left side of the playfield. In the usual way, you can light those targets by hitting the stand ups. Problem is, controlling the ball after you shoot those standups is a bit of a nightmare. The other, safer way to light those standups is by feeding the right inlane; each time you do, you light another letter.

The easiest way to feed the right inlane? Shoot straight up the middle with the right flipper. Ball kicks to the upper playfield, rolls down to the right inlane. Repeat. 25 boring times. Then, if you can do that without falling asleep (trust me, it takes a while), you can get to the rest of the stuff in thhe game, which is actually pretty fun.

The other thing that I didn't like, and I still cringe about almost a year later, is when the ball went down the Insanity Falls ramp on the left of the playfield and cracks into the glass. I'm sure you could put a piece of mylar there or some such thing, but why anyone would deliberately want to have a game make a horribly abrasive noise is beyond me.

Luke

#5 6 years ago

I bought mine after playing it at a show and hearing good things about it. I have had it about a year now and I do not plan on getting rid of it at all, definite keeper.
My girlfriend loves it, my kids love it and my friends play it quite often.
Good Luck finding a players at 3,000 but it is possible....They are hard to find anywhere for under 4,000 now-a-days especially over here on the West coast.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from lukerp:

The other thing that I didn't like, and I still cringe about almost a year later, is when the ball went down the Insanity Falls ramp on the left of the playfield and cracks into the glass. I'm sure you could put a piece of mylar there or some such thing, but why anyone would deliberately want to have a game make a horribly abrasive noise is beyond me

I have heard the game was designed to do that per Dennis Nordman

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from lukerp:

Shoot straight up the middle with the right flipper. Ball kicks to the upper playfield, rolls down to the right inlane. Repeat. 25 boring times.

There was talk of redoing the code to fix that, but not sure how far anyone got with that. If it held over from ball to ball, that would be a big step in the right direction. Otherwise you have to cross your fingers for an "Advance to Class 6 River" mystery award.

#8 6 years ago

that "ball hitting the glass noise" is one of my favorite sounds in pinball!! I think it is too cool. I guess that's one cool thing about pins....different strokes for different folks!

#9 6 years ago

Dennis Nordman has said several times, including on Pinside*, that testing was done with the glass off and the ball hitting the glass was not intentional.

I had this games with the home ROMS, which make the bonus hold actually work, and I regularly got the Vacation jackpot with little or no wood chopping (No Way Out to right inlane).

I enjoyed the game, but it was time for something new in my very small collection.

*http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-waters-insanity-falls/page/2

#10 6 years ago

I love wh20. It's just a fun game to play, great game for the whole family. Lots of ramps, cool animations, camera and cows.

While its not deep it's just plain fun. Had mine for about 4-5 years and its never leaving.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

There was talk of redoing the code to fix that, but not sure how far anyone got with that. If it held over from ball to ball, that would be a big step in the right direction. Otherwise you have to cross your fingers for an "Advance to Class 6 River" mystery award.

You can carry the letters over by hitting one of the ramps a certain amount of times.

My strategy for River letters is to take care of it in MB, let the balls rolls down and just keep hitting the center to right inlane. It goes quickly in MB, is usually will drain balls until I have one left and then restart MB to get a 2x Jackpot.

The game is very beatable. I have come within one shot if completing VJ on a single ball. If you play to to "Beat" a game it will get old quick, if you play to beat your previous best score it is a pretty fun game. I would set it up as difficult as possible to keep the challenge. Mine will be leaving this summer.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

You can carry the letters over by hitting one of the ramps a certain amount of times.

The non-home ROMS have a non-working bonus hold feature. I think a lot of people haven't played with the home ROM version.

#13 6 years ago

Get the home ROMs folks.

#14 6 years ago

Sold mine because I needed the money at the time. Want one back badly. Great game. ACDC Whitewater and Star Trek would be a great 1-2-3 collection!!

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

There is a hold bonus that will carry it over to the next ball. You only have to get to 6 once. Both islands can light a letter. Not that hard to do.

#16 6 years ago

I must really suck at pinball......I have only gotten to vacation jackpot a handful of times

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

There is a hold bonus that will carry it over to the next ball.

The non-home ROMS have a non-working bonus hold feature. I think a lot of people haven't played with the home ROM version.

#18 6 years ago

It's a great game. Nordman is one of the best. If you can get one for a reasonable price go for it. Enjoy it then move on. It's title where you will be glad you said "I had that".

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Home rom rules. Light show after game and occasional scream start by Wet Willy.

#20 6 years ago

First off for the game....I just really don't get sick of it. Vacation Jackpot isn't that easy to get so the game keeps you coming back for more. For me all the shots are fun, so that helps not getting bored with it. I don't really think like you do, where a game has to be "fast" to enjoy, but you need to consider that as I wouldn't call WH20 a "fast" game. The lower PF area can be frustratingly fast, but a lot of time is spent on the upper PF which may be too slow for you.
I beat it *snicker* the other week 3 times in a row...and that didn't make me want to kick it out of the house or anything. Plus the colorDMD is rock solid
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wh20-color-dmd#post-832435

Quoted from lukerp:

The easiest way to feed the right inlane? Shoot straight up the middle with the right flipper. Ball kicks to the upper playfield, rolls down to the right inlane. Repeat. 25 boring times.

Quoted from judremy:

There is a hold bonus that will carry it over to the next ball. You only have to get to 6 once. Both islands can light a letter. Not that hard to do.

Yes you only have to get River 6 class once in the game to VJ it. As judremy says, if you are close to river 6 just pick up 6 right ramps and the hold bonus will help you the next ball. Honestly, if you are just shooting the ramp over and over to get river classes that's probably not the best way to do it. I mean you get the upper PF all the time....anything other than whirlpool shot you get a letter. Why you wouldn't be going for the whirpool awards when you're up there anyway is beyond me.

Home ROMS are great. I personally have enough games without a ball save I feel no shame in taking one

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Dennis Nordman has said several times, including on Pinside*, that testing was done with the glass off and the ball hitting the glass was not intentional.
I had this games with the home ROMS, which make the bonus hold actually work, and I regularly got the Vacation jackpot with little or no wood chopping (No Way Out to right inlane).
I enjoyed the game, but it was time for something new in my very small collection.
*http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-waters-insanity-falls/page/2

Not originally intentional, but he said they purposefully kept it because they liked it.

Quoted from DennisNordman:

Hi guys, I just discovered this thread. As I remember it, the ball didn't hit the glass with the first handmade ramps on the whitewood. When we installed the first vacuum formed ramps, from the aluminum tool, we noticed the ball hitting the glass. The production ramps are so much smoother and faster than the hand made originals. Anyway, everyone liked it so we let it happen. The story about not putting glass on until production is not true. We would NEVER let a game get all the way to production without testing it with the glass in place. Besides that, it's too noisy without the glass and it's easier to tune the sounds and music with the glass on.

#22 6 years ago

Had mine for 5 years. The game is fun and the rule set is easy to follow, however, the gameplay got stale and the machine was barely ever turned on. When it was turned on, I enjoyed it.

Getting to Wet Willie's is fairly easy and Vacation Jackpot more difficult but definitely reachable.

I just decided it was time to sell and put something else in the slot that was a little fresher and more challenging to me since I'm the player in the house. My girlfriend and kids barely ever touched it, although my daughter liked the game. Out with WH20 and in with TFLE and NO regrets. I also purchased an RFM at the same time for the enjoyment of the rest of the family.

#23 6 years ago

Any game is going to be tough to keep for a long time when you only have 2 pins!

#24 6 years ago

I owned one for a year and sold so I could get some extra cash to get a IM, found it hard - never got to the wizard mode.

I loved that sound of the ball hitting the glass.

Good game but if possible get one with a working topper, no wear on the playfield and all the ramps in good condition.

I did get a little bored, I got a creature 6 months before the WH20 and still have it and had the IM now for 16 months and it isn't going anywhere.

#25 6 years ago

There are many games over the years I have purchased because I had never had the opportunity to play before, and made the purchase simply to experience them for a while. Whitewater holds the record for the shortest amount of time I have owned a game. We played the crap out of it, kept thinking there has to be something we are missing. Just felt it was boring game play, the sound was annoying, great looking game though. I truly wanted to like it. In fact, when I find one I always give it another whirl, but still no fun for me. But there are many games I enjoy that other do not.

#26 6 years ago

I don't think the game is difficult but it certainly is fun and with challenges like starting Hootfoot Bigfoot early or 5x fun right before starting a MB it certainly has some ruleset nuances. My only annoyance the VUK sound, OMFG that thing is annoying. I'd rather listen to a Stern knocker(not really).

#27 6 years ago

One of the greatest games of all time.

Just like Comet, it's great when the ball hits the glass. Fun to watch nubies the first time they do it.

There are so many subtle little tricks to this game.

I've sold it only to buy it back again....simply too much fun.

#28 6 years ago

I wonder how many folks bought this game back in the early days thinking the girl on the BG looked like Britney Spears

I have owned this game 3x, each time I got it I swore I'll enjoy more this time with the kids, each time it just kept coming up short with my kids and myself so it moved along each time.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I wonder how many folks bought this game back in the early days thinking the girl on the BG looked like Britney Spears

I sure hope not.

Britney Spears was 12 years old when WH2O came out.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

There are many games over the years I have purchased because I had never had the opportunity to play before, and made the purchase simply to experience them for a while. Whitewater holds the record for the shortest amount of time I have owned a game. We played the crap out of it, kept thinking there has to be something we are missing. Just felt it was boring game play, the sound was annoying, great looking game though. I truly wanted to like it. In fact, when I find one I always give it another whirl, but still no fun for me. But there are many games I enjoy that other do not.

I'm going to have to agree. I was really jacked to pick one of these up (about 5 years ago) and it just didn't click with me. It was one of those games that every time I hit the ball I felt like something was going to break. Long term "keepability" for me just wasn't there. Owned it for about 6 months.

#31 6 years ago

Iv had the game 6 months now and I still really like it. I think the sounds are amazing, especially the end of ball bonus twangs. Its super fun. The art package is first class, and completion is really hard. If you are just interested in racking up points, I can see it being monotonous. As the main way to do that is to just hit multiball and 5X playfield.

Its a great gateway pin for my friends too. Iv got guys who couldn't care less for my superhero themed games, and keep coming back to play White Water.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from paragon66x:

It was one of those games that every time I hit the ball I felt like something was going to break.

Gotta make sure the right flipper coils are on there as they are diff'rent strengths.

#33 6 years ago

It's been my favorites since back in the day when I played at 7-11. I wish it was still a sleeper but it seems like everybody wants one now. It was on the competition bank at the Fairfax pinball open and it was the most played game BY FAR.

It's pretty simple to learn and still pretty challenging, although not mind boggling deep.

It plays pretty fast and the aesthitics of it are pretty key for me. The shots are nice, but it's even nicer when you're going through the mountians, whirlpool, etc. The topper is great. All of the art is integrated very well with the theme. I really think Dennis hit the sweet spot with it. You can tell by playing his earlier games how he evolved and actually started toning down the playfield if you can believe it. It's got a lot going on but not too much. It's got good flow even with the VUK stop.

The music is cool too. It starts out really basic and low key and as you advance different layers start coming in and tempo picks up so by the time you hit Willies it's just a crazy frenzy.

It's pretty good on the mod tip as well. The bigfoot spotlight mod is my favorite.

If you only keep a game until you can "beat it" then it probably won't last that long. I've got mine set up pretty damn fast and hard, with the commerical L-5 rom and I hit the vacation jackpot within a few months. I don't really think about pinball like that so it doesn't deter me.

I would pick it up on the Pinball Arcade and give it a try if I were you. So much about pinball is personal preference.

#34 6 years ago

http://vimeo.com/17820151

Watch Bowen get schooled by WH2O.

#35 6 years ago

I've been playing it on my Ipad since its release. Heard a number of people say that it's quite the game so figured it was worth trying out.
I played it initially at a friend's place but it didn't hold my attention. Since playing on the Ipad, and understanding the rules, I've been back to his place and played it again. Love it!
I'm trying to decide how much to spend on one. Seems like the regular $3000+ WH2O pins out there are pretty beat up, and few/far between.
Not sure if I were to buy a resto'd WH2O if I could sell it down the road without taking a bath.
I expect this is one of the nicest looking pins when it's been resto'd, what with the PF artwork and especially the numerous, lengthy ramps (gotta have those clear though! The cloudy ones I've been seeing just don't have the same wow-factor).
Throw in a colour DMD and I'll bet this could trick some people into thinking it's the latest pin out of the factory.
Generally, I don't play a pin to beat it. AC/DC for me, is all about the multiballs. WH2O has a simple multiball which is also very cool. Easy to understand, easy to see the locks and what needs to be done as well.

Trying to decide between one of these and the upcoming Star Trek... decisions, decisions.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Trying to decide between one of these and the upcoming Star Trek... decisions, decisions.

I can't point you in one direction or the other until we even see what Star Trek will have to offer. But I sold my JD to get the WH20 and it was probably the smartest pinball move I ever made. Just 1 man's opinion.

#37 6 years ago

saw this beautiful machine that a aussie (wotto) did before tron came out - just for ideas for you guys

3999769577_fbcc3a18bb_o.jpg 4000533600_592e525a39_o.jpg

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

saw this beautiful machine that a aussie (wotto) did before tron came out - just for ideas for you guys

No EL for the whirlpool ramp? No Sale!

#39 6 years ago

I've had 4 - currently have two on hand, one will not leave this time. Something about this game keeps me coming back.

#40 6 years ago

Got one about 6 weeks ago. Great game. Very unique. Adds nice variety to my collection. It's currently my wife's favorite. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

#41 6 years ago

I picked up a HEP from a local pinsider a few weeks back & love it. Quite challenging Multi balls and a good challenge to go after the Vacation Jackpot which I finally achieved the other night. Didnt even know I had it ready to go, I just shot the 3rd locked ball to start multi ball & the game went nuts. Great game!!!

#42 6 years ago

Also just got one. Took me a few weeks to get it, was going to sell it, but my friend/buyer backed out. Am I ever glad he did - loving it now!

#43 6 years ago

I've had two WH2Os...the only reason I moved the first one on was because I found another one that had a NEW playfield, cab decals & ramp set installed! I love looking at this game almost as much as I love playing it. Obviously a keeper for my collection.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

» Vimeo video
Watch Bowen get schooled by WH2O.

He was very close to VJ on the first ball. I'd love to be "schooled" by a pin like that.

#45 6 years ago

Any pin can be boring and terrible if you want it to be. Whitewater is a keeper. Incredibly satisfying shots, great progressive music, and incredible flow (minus whirlpool).

That said, probably not a GREAT choice for a SMALL lineup. 6 pins or more though, it should be there.

-Wes

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 209.00
$ 12.95
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 125.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Little Shop Of Games
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
4,400 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Stafford, VA
5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 47.00
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
4,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, CT
Cabinet - Toppers
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 28.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 3.70
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Whitewater pinball mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside