You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ribbon cable reseating (resized).jpg
CPU (resized).png
IMG_0012 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I was doing some things today inside pinball like moving kicker over slightly so it didn't hit the apron then machine started to reset so I shut it off.
put playfield up to see if there was anything obv that was touching and found a light socket on one side looked squished like it maybe touched something.not sure so I bent it all back up and taped for future rubs and turned game back on played ok for about a minute then blew solenoid fuse and dmd froze couple sounds got wierd so I shut it down now when I turn it on CPU blinks bad game rom all volts check out on driver unhooked all connects from cpu still blinks bad rom wtf have I done lol it did boot one more time then was resetting over and over Shut down tried again and back to bad game rom.any thoughts people???

#2 6 years ago

Who thinks CPU chips???

#3 6 years ago

So you were adjusting things with the game on? Yikes. You could've sent high voltage down low voltage logic circuits. Have you read the pin wiki on WPC games? I'd start there.

I wish I could offer more advice. Good luck.

#4 6 years ago

Hey Walt, did you replace the fuse and are all the LEDs on the power driver on?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Hey Walt, did you replace the fuse and are all the LEDs on the power driver on?

Have not put solenoid fuse back yet but all leds are on as they should be now on driver board

#6 6 years ago

Does the CPU boot with just connector j210 connected, nothing else? If not, swap the CPU chip 6809 with one out of another game.

#7 6 years ago

No same thing no boot

#8 6 years ago

Let me switch chip and see

#9 6 years ago

Not the room, the CPU chip

#10 6 years ago

What's the location of that chip?

IMG_0012 (resized).JPGIMG_0012 (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago

Also, try firmly pressing on U9, best to do this with the board out and laying flat.
CPU (resized).pngCPU (resized).png

#12 6 years ago

Should I just have j210 connected and nothing else when I flip switch

#13 6 years ago

J210 is all that is needed to see if the board boots. Any of the switch matrix cables at the bottom of the board will not matter if connected or not. You definitely want the ribbon cable disconnected until the board boots because other boards connected via ribbon cable can also keep a game from booting, including the ribbon cables themselves.

#14 6 years ago

No boot

#16 6 years ago

Maybe time to drop off CPU for service just won't boot

#17 6 years ago

Definitely ask for NVRAM to be installed as well. It is great having a large collection that is battery free.

#18 6 years ago

The saga continues so I put old chip back in and game booted fine then started to hook lines back up when I hook up sound board board does not boot also the dmd is not coming up now I'm confused

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Snowyetti:

The saga continues so I put old chip back in and game booted fine then started to hook lines back up when I hook up sound board board does not boot also the dmd is not coming up now I'm confused

Could have been two problems. CPU not seated properly and something with the sound board. If you disconnect the sound board does it boot up?

#20 6 years ago

Yes it does

#21 6 years ago

No dmd tho

#22 6 years ago

Likely one of the chips on the sound board pulling down an address or data line. If you have a logic probe you could narrow the issue down to which address/data line. After that you've typically got to cut traces to identify the specific chip.

Also I would pull the cpu again and carefully inspect the socket (corrosion, bent pins, etc.) to help make sure that issue doesn't return.

So you're just removing the ribbon connector at the sound board?

#23 6 years ago

Yeah last thing I tried was leaving cable off sound board but dmd plugged in no dmd picture either but board booted all computer controlled lights came on as normal

#24 6 years ago

Maybe dmd ribbon didn't seat well

#25 6 years ago

gotta recheck voltages still no dmd

#26 6 years ago

so what im hooking up is the ribbon cable on left j202 in pic is this for fliptronic board maybe thts culprit???

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Snowyetti:

so what im hooking up is the ribbon cable on left j202 in pic is this for fliptronic board maybe thts culprit???

I'm lost here. Is J202 the connector you're removing and then the game boots?

#28 6 years ago

Yes j202 if I take it off it boots

#29 6 years ago

Reseat the 4 connector ribbon cable from the CPU to fliptronix to sound board to the DMD controller board. This is the one I see act up most often.

Ribbon cable reseating (resized).jpgRibbon cable reseating (resized).jpg

#30 6 years ago

Holy crap it worked thanks again guys looks like I need a new cable

#31 6 years ago

I was hoping the ribbon cable was the original problem. I agree on replacing it soon. Fixed just in time for the holiday weekend. Enjoy!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

7,780 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-not-booting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.