(Topic ID: 19287)

White Water Needs Saving! (Daytona Beach, FL) It's Back!

By Crash

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1624.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG
IMG_1620.JPG
IMG_1621.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG
IMG_1613.JPG
#1 11 years ago

There are 2 arcades along the beachside walkway in Daytona Beach, FL. One of them, the Mardi Gras Fun Center, has Lord of the Rings and White Water. LotR is still pulling in money so I doubt the operator would want to sell that one but White Water is not turned on at all. It's in pretty rough condition: trashed inserts, broken and missing Boulder Garden plastics, broken targets, playfield wear, the usual stuff. It looks like it's been through a battlefield and hasn't been turned on it months or even years. I didn't think to check the cabinet for fade or damage as I was only there briefly. The translite seems to be ok. No topper.

If anyone in the area is looking to pick up a project this would be a good try. The place has mostly redemption games so I would say buying pins wouldn't be that difficult. It's going to at least need a restored or new playfield.

IMG_1613.JPGIMG_1613.JPGIMG_1624.JPGIMG_1624.JPGIMG_1621.JPGIMG_1621.JPGIMG_1616.JPGIMG_1616.JPGIMG_1620.JPGIMG_1620.JPGIMG_1619.JPGIMG_1619.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Dude I was there early/mid may. The flipper rubber on the the lotr was in bad shape. The white water I played it it was working with no sound, really weak flippers. The mardi gras funcenter is a nice place. The poker rollers are a fun game. But both machines need some tlc

#3 11 years ago

av8? You interested?

#4 11 years ago

wow that wh2o screams money pit. It would take $3k in parts to make it presentable. I like projects, but run away!

#5 11 years ago

The wh2o looked ok but the mech and sound with plastics were badly needed. This info is around 30 days old so it could be worse. on second thought it looks like a complete strip may be needed.

#6 11 years ago

doesn't "look" THAT terrible.. I mean, it could use a serious cleaning, and a pop bumper cover.

#7 11 years ago

It depends. Run a rag, rebuild the flippers and you have the same game that everyone else has.

$3K? Maybe if you pay someone for the labor:

Playfield: $900
Ramps: $700
boulders: $250
Side Art (if you can find it) $250.

More like $2K. Besides, it's tucked in a corner, the side art might be in good shape.

Quoted from Erik:

wow that wh2o screams money pit. It would take $3k in parts to make it presentable. I like projects, but run away!

#8 11 years ago

Topper and presumably cabinet art. The backbox is beat from what I see and it stands to reason the artwork hasn't been babied. Plus since it's not functioning I'd guess something is wrong with the boards. I stand by what I said! Don't do it!

Post edited by Erik : Edit oops saw you mentioned cabinet art. Still run away!

#9 11 years ago

You wouldn't buy it for $900?

Quoted from Erik:

Topper and presumably cabinet art. The backbox is beat from what I see and it stands to reason the artwork hasn't been babied. Plus since it's not functioning I'd guess something is wrong with the boards. I stand by what I said! Don't do it!

#10 11 years ago

Actually the ramps look fine, didn't give it a detailed going over but the ramps look ok. The left side is also not faded, I noticed this when going through the pictures. I'm assuming the right side is fine as well. I don't "think" there's much wear but if I had the idea to actually post this to Pinside I would've gotten more detailed pictures. If we'll be going back down there I'll get more but I don't think we will. Looks like the inserts just need new decals and touchups.

#11 11 years ago

I was at that exact arcade around two years ago and the same two pins (i.e. one LoTR and one WH2O) were there. From what I recall the LoTR was "okay", but the WH2O barely worked. However, the two guys playing the WH2O seemed to be having fun. I must admit, though, that I am a bit surprised that nothing has changed in all that time and that the WH2O, at least, might literally be rusting away at the beach...

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

wow that wh2o screams money pit.

Looks good to me!
Anyone want to ship it to CA?

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

You wouldn't buy it for $900?

I would not buy it to restore. It is a losing cause.

Enjoy your time on the beach, crash! Forget pinball for a bit!

#13 11 years ago

Actually it just kind of popped up on me while browsing the beach walk. I would've been out on the beach sooner but the weather has been all rain so far. The rest of the week looks good though.

#14 11 years ago

bring some of that rain back with you plz. My yard is a disgrace

#15 11 years ago

Crash, do me a solid and haul that thing back to nashville, I'll pick it up next GG tourney. I'll give ya $900 for it, so work us up a deal. If you get it for less then $900 just keep the balance. Call it a finders fee/gas money.

#16 11 years ago

If it's not even turned on, I bet it has some serious reset issues or something. Offer $500 to haul it away.

#17 11 years ago

Haha, well if any if you ever come down here on vacation you can give it a try. You could ask av8 for a favor too...

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Offer $500 to haul it away.

Better yet, tell them you'll haul it off for them for free.

#19 11 years ago

Disney and Daytona? Can I borrow some $$$?
Those pins have been at the boardwalk for at least 2 years.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I would not buy it to restore. It is a losing cause.
Enjoy your time on the beach, crash! Forget pinball for a bit!

It doesn't have to have a full restore. Looks like with a good cleaning and a couple hundred it would be a decent player.

#21 11 years ago

I'll buy it and have Jim McCune make it born again. If you get me a price on it I'll get it.... if price reflects condition. please lmk if there's actually been talk and price.

#22 11 years ago

Boy that WH20 is depressing to look at.

#23 11 years ago

Like I said get in contact with av8 if you're seriously interested in it. He's familiar with the area.

#24 11 years ago

This location is already in the Aurcade database. Does this look accurate to y'all?

http://www.aurcade.com/locations/view.aspx?id=642

Move your mouse over the colored dots to get an explanation of their colors. 1st column is controls, 2nd column is screen quality, 3rd column is cabinet condition. If there is a talking bubble next to the name, click on it to see what comments have been posted on that game.

#25 11 years ago

Yes it's accurate, except for the fact that White Water was working this past May without sound.

#26 11 years ago

Get it Scott, WH2O is an awesome game. I wish I would have never sold mine. I miss it!!!!!

#27 11 years ago

I'm in the middle of restoring a WH2O I got in player condition and it ain't cheap. But I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know. Im pretty well underwater on it, but im not doing it for resale... Just always loved the game and want to make it perfect.

The biggest roadblock is obviously topper and decals. I got one of the last sets of screened cab decals around and they are nowhere to be had. The topper is almost stuff of legend. You may see one or two for sale each year. You may be able to live with a repro inkjet sticker for the topper from TC.

At $900 or even $1000 I would still grab it, get it into playable condition and jut enjoy it.
Playfields are available and, if you're lucky, Phoenix will reproduce more decals and a reasonable topper replacement in our lifetime.

#28 11 years ago

The fact it's still sitting there leads me to believe that the owner of this pin is asking way too much money for it as it sits, or just doesn't want to sell. Just think of all the pinheads that have come across that and offered to buy it before.

We have an arcade in my area with some beat to crap pins, and I approached the manager about either fixing them or selling them, and the manager told me they get multiple offers a week from people wanting to buy the pins (they have AFM, FH, TZ, and a few others). The next answer was that the owner has zero interest in selling them.. (and apparently zero interest in fixing them up).

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

doesn't "look" THAT terrible.. I mean, it could use a serious cleaning, and a pop bumper cover.

No joke! Clean it up, fix some issues, new flippers and rubbers... you're gonna have a sweet game.

You don't have to drop 3k$ into a game to make it a great player.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Yeah a few things...maybe not panic mode items!

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

The fact it's still sitting there leads me to believe that the owner of this pin is asking way too much money for it as it sits, or just doesn't want to sell. Just think of all the pinheads that have come across that and offered to buy it before.
We have an arcade in my area with some beat to crap pins, and I approached the manager about either fixing them or selling them, and the manager told me they get multiple offers a week from people wanting to buy the pins (they have AFM, FH, TZ, and a few others). The next answer was that the owner has zero interest in selling them.. (and apparently zero interest in fixing them up).

The Treasure Island Fun Center? Damn, I always want to ask about their pins but it's never anyone older than 18 working the counter and they have no idea what they're doing related to pins. They're all beat to hell. I wish they would just fix them already.

1 month later
#32 11 years ago

That WH20 looks like it's in mint condition compared to the NGG I played yesterday. A new arcade in Jordan, MN opened up that has a NGG. Well, yeah.. It randomly reset twice when I was playing. It also has a lot of metal clunk sounds going on, but seems functional. Sound either works normally, or plays a steady tone for some odd reason. One of the flippers is covered with electrical tape. That was a month ago.

I go there yesterday, and the machine's now in WORSE shape! Some kid broke the plunger, so you have to push the plunger to get the ball out. As I was playing it, the right flipper button gets stuck open, making it unplayable.

Sad machine is sad.

#33 11 years ago

Does that whitewater have mylar? Looks like it.. Just pull it! The pf is probably not too bad underneath.

Doesn't look like it needs a new PF

2 years later
#35 8 years ago

I paid another visit to this arcade today and was surprised to find this same game shopped out with LEDs and a new boulder plastic set. So I'm glad the operator is hanging on to his games to fix them up every once in a while inside of just hoarding them as investments. However, he needs to wipe them down. Shows they are getting played (including WH20) but still, the lower playfield looks like a mud pit. He evidently doesn't know to use 12v LEDs in the topper sockets either, as all the 555s were blown up and melted. Incredibly, a couple were still working.

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#36 8 years ago

Has anyone seen a location game leave and come back shopped out before? It's certainly a pleasant surprise and I have to imagine it doesn't happen very often.

#37 8 years ago

Yes you never have all you need on your truck . Most ops prefer to do major overhauls in a shop environment where they can start and stop as their schedule ( and incoming parts orders ) permits . The comment would take 3k to get a players game absurd . If all boards had issues send to Clive ( Coin op caldron ) if you don't have the skillset to do your own repairs . Quality work very reasonable . If you cant work on games yourself pinball will be a tough hobby .

#38 8 years ago

I played that last year and it was in about the same condition then. What other games are up and running?

#39 8 years ago

At this location it's Lord of the Rings, X-Men, and Avengers. I didn't get the opportunity to put quarters in it because the slots were taped off.

#40 8 years ago

We are going to be a short walk from there for a week tomorrow. So just the Wh20 was down?

#41 8 years ago

Sorry, the LotR was turned off as well. The cleanest game was WH20 unfortunately. But give it a shot! I didn't think to hit the flipper buttons to see if sound was working. The DMD has some wonkyness going on with it (bad HV) but you can definitely still see it.

#42 8 years ago

Crash are you still in the area? We should play a couple of games this week!

#43 8 years ago

Sorry I left today.

#44 8 years ago

looks like he found the topper too! Fun game.

#45 8 years ago

Yeah I just noticed that. Must have had the parts lying around because those are nearly impossible to find that's for sure. Hougie there is an ice cream shop 15 minutes from the beach called Cow Lick's. Look it up on the map and check it out when you're in the area.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Hardware
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-needs-saving-daytona-beach-fl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.