Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by zene10
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 25 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SFZ_8515 copy (resized).JPG
DSC04605.jpg
image.jpg
image_5.jpg
image_4.jpg
image_3.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
02_White_Water.jpg
image.jpg
MyWH20.jpg
PBLBIGFOOTMOD.jpg
White_Water_PF.jpg
whitewater_normal_pf.jpg
image.jpg

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Just picked up a White Water. It has a few LEDs right now, but I'm looking to improve upon it.

Any suggestions on LEDs for this particular game? I'm looking to stay away from the standard LED blue. Anyone try the Comet ice blues?

How do LEDs look in the topper? Cool or warm white?

Anyone use spotlights? It seems like this game is dark in low light conditions.

Pics appreciated. Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

I picked up a White Water recently. Too many blue LEDs, I've already stripped most of them out, but I need to get to some of the harder ones. I just don't care for them as GI. Comet Ice Blue might work though.

As for the toper, I hated it with LEDs, it just didn't look right. Switched it back to incandescents and now the animation is way better. It needs the bloom and fade of the proper lights to really work IMHO.

#3 4 years ago

I used these frosted natural white for the GI and backbox and have no problems in the dark.
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smd-ct-ft.htm

The bigfoot spotlight mod from Pinballlife is also a nice addition even though it is pricey.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

The bigfoot spotlight mod from Pinballlife is also a nice addition even though it is pricey.

I've been tempted by that too. It is a little pricey for just a light though. (I know there's a PCB, just saying.)

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've been tempted by that too. It is a little pricey for just a light though. (I know there's a PCB, just saying.)

The one I have came with the Bigfoot spotlight already installed. It's a really good addition!

#6 4 years ago

A spot light can be added by patching into the GI for cheap but it will not turn work in sync with the bigfoot head.
I luckily bought the spotlight mod 2nd hand for much less.

#7 4 years ago

Does this big foot spot light mod come with an additional controller board?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

The one I have came with the Bigfoot spotlight already installed. It's a really good addition!

You're not helping!

#9 4 years ago

I used a bit of blue in the back under the mountains, but stayed away from it up front. LEDs always come off hot in pictures... this doesn't show the hot spots in real life. Won a couple of "best of" show awards if that means anything:1520196_orig.jpg2120051_orig.jpg9443193_orig.jpg5335113_orig.jpg9426283_orig.jpg

#10 4 years ago

Cool whites in the lower pf. Warm in the upper. Ice blue behind the river targets and in the whirlpool. A few led strips.

Gi OCD board

Color matched inserts. Pink for the yellow ones

image.jpg
#11 4 years ago

image.jpg

Forgot pic

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

Pink for the yellow ones

Pink in the yellow??

What about pops? Seems like incandescents actually do pretty good here. Upgrade to LEDs?

#13 4 years ago

Hmm, pink in orange is common, never heard of pink in yellow.

#14 4 years ago

For some reason pink in yellow inserts looks good. I went with the bright caps in the pop bumpers

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

As for the toper, I hated it with LEDs, it just didn't look right. Switched it back to incandescents and now the animation is way better. It needs the bloom and fade of the proper lights to really work IMHO.

The topper I have has incandescents installed. The water effect is nice, but I wish it was more white and a little brighter.

Does anyone know if incandescents are available in a cooler white color?

#16 4 years ago

For mine:

Frosted cool white behind backglass. Not bright enough, but no spots, so I am happy.

Color matched the inserts

Used cool white under any plastics w/ blue or white. The rest are warm white retro LEDs.

Behind the R-I-V-E-R targets, I used flex head blue leds to highlight the targets, and added in 3 spots to the GI with warm white to light up the mountains

Whirlpool is lined w/ frosted blue leds.

Upper PF behind the rubber I left incandescent. I found the leds for me there were too bright and bothered my eyes.

#17 4 years ago

A vote for 100% incandescent bulbs!

The warm glow is my favorite part of this game. When I got it, it had all blue LEDs for GI, and it was the worst!

IMG_20150221_222443.jpg

#18 4 years ago

My GI is 100% incandescent right now (blue incandescent around bigfoot and int he rear). I have LEDs in the inserts and I like the color pop they give. I've tried lots of different LEDs in the raft inserts and right now I've settled on Cointaker warm frosted in the yellow ramp inserts. I'm going to give pink a try just to experiment. I've got blue flexis in the river class and blue in the river letters.

I'd like to LED the backbox but I need install GI OCD to do that and keep the fading right, which means I may need to LEDs in all of the GI. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I really like the blue incandescents in the back. The color they give off really goes well with the colors in the game and makes it just a tad darker back there to give the Bigfoot Spotlight the extra effect it deserves.

I agree that people usually kill the game with too much blue and too much cool white. When making changes to the original vibe of the lighting I try to match the original lighting and only make slight refinements in select areas. That's worked pretty well so far. When done right I don't want the average person to notice the LEDs. I want it all to seamlessly blend in.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Does this big foot spot light mod come with an additional controller board?

Yes it does (I make the mod). The light controller board attaches to the motor controller board for Bigfoot. No cutting, alligator clips and is 100% reversible.

Bigfoot lights up any time his head moves and when he stops and looks at you. Light is off when he is looking away from you (when he is "hiding"). Just sent Terry a new batch (looks like he is out right now). Not doing the hard sell here but there are about 25 left and they will not be made again. Too much cost in making a small run of boards, laser cut bracket, etc.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Just picked up a White Water. It has a few LEDs right now, but I'm looking to improve upon it.
Any suggestions on LEDs for this particular game? I'm looking to stay away from the standard LED blue. Anyone try the Comet ice blues?
How do LEDs look in the topper? Cool or warm white?
Anyone use spotlights? It seems like this game is dark in low light conditions.
Pics appreciated. Thanks!

As others stated LED's in the topper will really diminish the waterfall effect (just at the PHOF, had all blue LED's in the topper, was not good ). If you do want to change them remember they are 12V not 6.3V like most other bulbs in your game. I ran the standard blue LED's for GI around the upper sides and back of the playfield. Everything close to the player and the middle of the playfield were incandescents. As you have the spotlight mod I suggest you darken the Bigfoot area by using blue LED's, bulb condoms or even removing a bulb or 2. Really makes him pop when the light kicks on.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Mamushka:

Yes it does (I make the mod). The light controller board attaches to the motor controller board for Bigfoot. No cutting, alligator clips and is 100% reversible.
ยป YouTube video
Bigfoot lights up any time his head moves and when he stops and looks at you. Light is off when he is looking away from you (when he is "hiding"). Just sent Terry a new batch (looks like he is out right now). Not doing the hard sell here but there are about 25 left and they will not be made again. Too much cost in making a small run of boards, laser cut bracket, etc.

That's too bad because in my opinion it's the best mod for White Water. It integrates so well! I purchased early on and never regretted it, even for a second. By the way, how did you get the cut-out on the spotlight done? I really want to do a silver spot for mine but you need the cutout!

#22 4 years ago

Mine has ice blue in the rear caves, Warm white gi in top, cool white in bottom. Pink in all the hazards, color match all others. Don't do LEDs in topper, also note that it has different style bulbs. As for the translite whatever looks good hehe

image.jpg

#23 4 years ago

Also pink in the middle rafts

image.jpg

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

That's too bad because in my opinion it's the best mod for White Water. It integrates so well! I purchased early on and never regretted it, even for a second. By the way, how did you get the cut-out on the spotlight done? I really want to do a silver spot for mine but you need the cutout!

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment Lots of trial and error making this mod. For the cutout on the spotlight I use a bench mounted disk sander (one of those combination belt/disk sanders), easily went through a dozen methods before I got it figured out (getting the circuit right was the real nightmare). I made a jig to mark the cutouts for repeatability but you should be able to eyeball it for making one. BTW, saws and spotlights don't play well together, I'm lucky I still have 10 fingers

#25 4 years ago

Thanks! I was thinking dremel or maybe even that you had them laser-cut. With more and more people adding spotlights to games that's a really important little fix because you commonly have fitment issues.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Mamushka:

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment Lots of trial and error making this mod. For the cutout on the spotlight I use a bench mounted disk sander (one of those combination belt/disk sanders), easily went through a dozen methods before I got it figured out (getting the circuit right was the real nightmare). I made a jig to mark the cutouts for repeatability but you should be able to eyeball it for making one. BTW, saws and spotlights don't play well together, I'm lucky I still have 10 fingers

Keeping an eye on pinballlife, since I would like one before they are all gone!

#27 4 years ago

We have 2 kits for these that are totally different, just posting for some other variety as well.

Quoted from Aurich:

Hmm, pink in orange is common, never heard of pink in yellow.

I use pink mostly in oranges, but in some yellows it looks really cool too. Mostly I find cool whites in yellows keeps it looking the same yellow color the best though

whitewater_normal_pf.jpg

White_Water_PF.jpg

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballBulbs:

We have 2 kits for these that are totally different, just posting for some other variety as well.

I use pink mostly in oranges, but in some yellows it looks really cool too. Mostly I find cool whites in yellows keeps it looking the same yellow color the best though

That first kit looks really good! Are there spotlights? It appears to do a good job illuminating the middle of the play field. EDIT: Nevermind. I see the spotlights now.

Can the kit be broken up for GI only? I already have backbox and insert LEDs.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballBulbs:

whitewater_normal_pf.jpg White_Water_PF.jpg

Well done on that first kit.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Keeping an eye on pinballlife, since I would like one before they are all gone!

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2486

#31 4 years ago

Damnit. I just ordered stuff from Pinball Life. But seeing the work you put into this pushed me over the edge on the price being worth it, especially hearing this might be the last run. Ordered!

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Damnit. I just ordered stuff from Pinball Life. But seeing the work you put into this pushed me over the edge on the price being worth it, especially hearing this might be the last run. Ordered!

Thanks! I have gotten a lot of good feedback over the years. Most have said it should have been a feature that was included in the game. In fact I have had a few people buy it that said they *hate* mods but got this one because it looked like a factory item.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Mamushka:

Thanks! I have gotten a lot of good feedback over the years. Most have said it should have been a feature that was included in the game. In fact I have had a few people buy it that said they *hate* mods but got this one because it looked like a factory item.

I know a little something about the hard work that goes into getting a mod right, happy to support your efforts. And I agree, it should have been there, they even do the lighting in the game like it's meant to be there.

#34 4 years ago

+1 for all incandescents. I know I'm in the minority. But I don't want the game to look like a clown threw up on the playfield.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from kevmad:

+1 for all incandescents. I know I'm in the minority. But I don't want the game to look like a clown threw up on the playfield.

Warm white everywhere solves that. Get the incandescent look without the need to replace burnt bulbs

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

That first kit looks really good! Are there spotlights? It appears to do a good job illuminating the middle of the play field. EDIT: Nevermind. I see the spotlights now.
Can the kit be broken up for GI only? I already have backbox and insert LEDs.

I believe we emailed each other, but to clarify, they can and were broken up into mini kits for each section.

That blue one looks way bad in pictures, but is the one we go to shows with and gets lots of love. Looks way more icy in person, not so blue globby

#37 4 years ago

I just recently set my game back up and purchased
the Bigfoot kit last week from Terry. All in on the incandescent look
as I have in my game with few blue led additions.
I'm was actually wondering what to do maybe for the mountains
for more pop but not too much. Will have to play around now
that I been playing more.PBLBIGFOOTMOD.JPG
The kit just arrived today but haven't put in yet.

#38 4 years ago

I will get a pic of my machine and post.

#39 4 years ago

Interested as to where the spotlight mod affixes? Doesn't seem to be an obvious spot?

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Interested as to where the spotlight mod affixes? Doesn't seem to be an obvious spot?

The "L"bracket attaches to the wireform under Bigfoot's cave, the spotlight then attaches to the bracket. I wanted the spotlight to be as hidden as possible (most of it is under Bigfoots cave) because I thought it would be out of place to have a spotlight just sitting on top of a rock. I wanted to keep the game as "organic looking" as possible up there so that's why it is hidden. It is real tight in that area that is why I needed to modify the light for clearance.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

I will get a pic of my machine and post.

Now I need to work on mine now. Still all incandescent with few blue
GIs. I will start with Whirlpool and add frost blue led and put in that
new Bigfoot mod I picked up. I'll see how that looks when activated
and go from there.
No question the topper needs to stay inc for the effect.
MyWH20.JPG

#42 4 years ago

I popped some cyan LEDs from pinballbulbs into the whirlpool and think the colour looks perfect. It matches the surrounding plastics.image.jpg

#43 4 years ago

I've been thinking about putting blue and white in my whirlpool. I wonder if this would give it a more swirling effect

#44 4 years ago

Or maybe like white, cyan then blue and repeat. I don't remember how many bulbs or in there so I don't know if that would work

#45 4 years ago

Whirlpool should always be red IMO. Blue GI is ghastly

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Whirlpool should always be red IMO. Blue GI is ghastly

Seconded. I didn't even know there was supposed to be a red flasher under the whirlpool until I shopped mine out.

#47 4 years ago

Here's mine with the blue incandescents and blue incandescents in the whirlpool. 02_White_Water.jpg

The blue incandescents don't "blob" out areas of blue light in the same way LED's do. I did put a blue LED in the whirlpool flasher that is markedly "bluer" than the cyanish color given off the by incandescents but I like that because when the whirlpool flashes that different hue of light draws your attention immediately the whirlpool. Darkening that area behind the whirlpool also really draws attention to BigFoot when he is spotted (like he is above).

I have since spotted the bear/missing mountian as well and tied the spot in with the GI so it dims and turns off at the right times.

I always thought red looked wierd in the whirlpool but there is somethign to be said for the stock colors.

One mod that I think would be really cool that nobody has done is backlit signs. It would sweet if the signs were wooden and the words "Lights Whirlpool"/ "Whirlpool is Lit" lit up.

I really like mods that enhance the gameplay by drawing attention to the objectives and truely look like they were meant to be on the game or mods that hide switches.

#48 4 years ago

(deleted photo and edited text because I didn't realize it was a repost...)

I saw the Icy Blue WW machine in person at the NW Pinball Show, and thought it looked really good - definitely a unique looking WW.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from GibGirl:

But I know there were also a number of people that didn't like the changes, as it's definitely not something for the purist.

Yeah that pic is above and I downvoted it there too. To each their own of course.

#50 4 years ago

I have a couple of blue LED strips behind the tunnels on the left and right which send out an eerie glow. Warm White GI everywhere else for sure.
Also put a purple LED strip behind the flippers and it's fantastic - does not 'purpleify' everything at all. It seems to react with things like my blue posts and make them glow.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside