(Topic ID: 32654)

White Water for Sale in MI (not by me) Considering Purchase and Question

By flipperfingers

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Okay. So, I've had four pinball machines in my life. The last two times I've sold, I've said that my next will be a late model Stern. And then something like this happens.

This White Water is located at Games We Play in Walled Lake, MI

ebay.com link: WHITE WATER Arcade Pinball Williams EXCELLENT CONDITION Multiball Free Shipping

It looks decent in pictures. I've been to their store once and many of the machines looked pretty rough. Some looked good. I think that they're in the business of restoring them.

Anyway, if they're looking to get $4495 or best with free shipping, doesn't it stand to reason that a cash offer of $3900 or so at the store should get the job done if it's a decent machine? I think that that is still more than what they would net after selling on EBAY.

What do you think? Does this seem reasonable to you?

#2 11 years ago

That machine looks very nice, D.

Best you can do is go check it out, and make the offer.

Good luck!

#3 11 years ago

They'll have to charge you state sales tax if you pick it up, I think. Keep. That in mind. I think i see playfield planking under the left flipper and some worn insert edges. I don't know if that is a problem for you, just pointing it out.

#4 11 years ago

Thanks, man. I definitely have to at least look at it. Otherwise, there's a Tron in Saginaw that I'm greatly interested in. I had some discussions with the guy selling Iron Man in Clinton Twp., but we were never able to come to terms and he says that he sold it, so I'm happy for him.

How far have you gotten through RFM? Does the family like it?

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

They'll have to charge you state sales tax if you pick it up, I think. Keep. That in mind. I think i see playfield planking under the left flipper and some worn insert edges. I don't know if that is a problem for you, just pointing it out.

Is planking sort of a rippled playfield? Wow! You have good eyes. I don't see it. If you can see it in pics, then it must be really obvious when you see it in person. As far as inserts go, is it the Whirlpool Challenge insert that looks troublesome? If this place restores, perhaps they can fix it. Is that something that is repairable? Thanks.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from flipperfingers:

Is planking sort of a rippled playfield? Wow! You have good eyes. I don't see it. If you can see it in pics, then it must be really obvious when you see it in person. As far as inserts go, is it the Whirlpool Challenge insert that looks troublesome? If this place restores, perhaps they can fix it. Is that something that is repairable? Thanks.

They didn't take the time or money to replace the lock targets, so it's a safe bet there is more to this pin than meets the eye.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from flipperfingers:

Is planking sort of a rippled playfield?

The veritical lines on the playfield under the flipper. It looks relatively minor now and i don't know how much worse one could expect it to get given the game is 20 years old already.

The insert edging is minimal and now that i go back through the pics and can't find the few that looked suspect. For sure, the bottom "R" in river has some pretty good edging going on. Maybe i'm being nitpicky but at $4K plus I would have no interest and that's a game i want pretty badly. That being said, it is better than the one I passed on a few weeks ago.

I have no horse in this race, just so you know. I am not one of the two who made offers as of the time of this post nor do i have any intent of doing so.

#8 11 years ago

Keep in mind I'm new to pinball but here's my experience with White Water buying.

The problem I've had is that they're tough to find, even tougher to find in good shape, and when you do find one that appears to be in good shape then it's half way accross the Country and you can't really verifiy that it actually IS in good shape. So when you buy from somebody who's not local, you have to hope that they're honest and also pay another $500 in shipping (so a $3500 is now $4000) and hope it holds up in shipping.

The ramps on that one look original (they also look broken up near the lock targets), which means they're probably going to need replacing along with the rest of the ramps ($600). The boulders are cracked (replacing those is another $150 or so.) Add in plastics, targets, protectors to stop your new stuff from breaking, etc. etc. and you'll have another grand in it.

The playfield actually looks pretty good to me but you can see some spots. There's the possible planking under the flipper there but also look at the spot near the right slingshot. I have that exact same spot on mine. When you see that up close you're going to see the paint tearing up from wear. Expect to see more of that. That's not as important to me but for some people that means you need to have the playfield restored or replaced.

There was one in decent shape with a really nice playfield on Pinside a few weeks ago for $3500 and it was gone within an hour. Good deals like that don't seem to come up that often.

The thing is, I'm sure that one you linked to will sell for $3,500 to $4,000 so if you want it, you can't really lowball. It's a tough situation really. I sat and watched for years as the price rose. So it's really a matter picking your poison unless you get lucky or are well connected. If the playfield is nice and the cabinet is nice at least you know that you can replace all the ramps and plastics yourself. The cabinet itself looks really nice! If I were you I'd go play it and really really look it over thoroughly. If you can make a deal great. Just realize that you may have a $1000.00 in plastic replacement in your future and make sure you can live with that when you hand over the money. If you walk away, just make sure you can live with the fact that it may be a while before another one shows up locally that you can actually score.

#9 11 years ago

Man, I knew you guys were useful, but I guess I just didn't really know HOW useful--haha. Thanks a lot for the tips. I wanted to see the game today. I do have my suspicions about this business. It seems that their customer relations sense is not the best. Anyway, I hope to have a look at it. Since, I'm a one machine at a time guy, it's not like, "I've just got to have this game to complete my collection." It's more along the lines of I'd like to have it for a while and then I'll grow tired of it like everything else.

I have a sense that if I could just have three machines I'd be less likely to broom them after 8 mos. to a year.

Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-for-sale-in-mi-not-by-me-considering-purchase-and-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.