7 (resized).JPG
6 (resized).JPG
5 (resized).JPG
4 (resized).JPG
2 (resized).JPG
3 (resized).JPG
1 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Wanted to share this in case anyone has similar issues in the future.

Picked up a WW is very good shape but extremely dirty. Just came off the truck this afternoon. Gave it a good visual inspection before powering it up. Nothing looked out of the ordinary so I powered it up. That's where the trouble started. The ejector at the back of the playfield was constantly firing. Disassembled everything and found that one of the opto receivers was missing. In an extreme stroke of luck, I found it in the bottom of the cabinet. It had broken off flush and there were hardly any of the leads left to solder to, but I was able to successfully solder on some lead extensions, reinstall it, and it worked! It's no longer firing constantly and fires when a ball crosses the optos as it should.

I then went through and tested EVERY switch. They all worked except for the RIVER and BOUNCEBACK targets (8 in total). None of them registered in the game or in the test menu. They are all part of the wiring in the J209 connector on the MPU. I've had this issue before and it ended up being the switch register chip on the MPU (ULN2308A). Since I had a few on hand, I replaced it with a new one and presto! That fixed the issue and now EVERY switch is registering.

Just wanted to share to possibly help someone out who might need it. Thanks - Mike.

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG5 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG6 (resized).JPG7 (resized).JPG7 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPG8 (resized).JPGIMG_2335 (resized).JPGIMG_2335 (resized).JPGIMG_2336 (resized).JPGIMG_2336 (resized).JPGIMG_2337 (resized).JPGIMG_2337 (resized).JPGIMG_2338 (resized).JPGIMG_2338 (resized).JPGIMG_2339 (resized).JPGIMG_2339 (resized).JPGIMG_2340 (resized).JPGIMG_2340 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing! I have been fortunate to not deal with the chip issue yet, but I did read somewhere it is best to socket that particular one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-ejector-keeps-firing-shorted-switch-register and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.