• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bi-Directional Board 3 (resized).jpg
Bi-Directional Board (resized).jpg
Bi-Directional Board 2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Marten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

My Bigfoot head doesn't turn. I've checked the motor with a 9 volt battery and it works, the red and white leads to the motor are intact and the bi-directional motor board is getting it's 12 volt and the LED is on. The C2 capacitor doesn't look like it leaked and I checked continuity on the traces that run under it. The only thing that seems a bit off is that diodes D1, D2, D3, D4, D7 and D8 test a bit strange in circuit. They all show the normal .6V tested in diode test on my multimeter in one direction but the other way they show 1.25V.
Could anyone confirm that that is normal or are they all suspect?
Thanks!

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

I can't confirm 100% but seeing the schematics, those 6 diodes are located in circuit with other semiconductors so you could expect readings in both directions.

Thanks Zaza, the search continues!

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

No idea if this is your problem or not, but when this happened to me the problem was with the small board on the underside of the playfield on the bottom left corner.
The capacitor on it looked good, but on closer inspection had leaked underneath.
Replaced it and has been working solid ever since.

I don't see any problems with the C2 and have checked continuity on the two traces that run under it. Replacing it is an option but I want to see if it's something else first.

#6 5 years ago

Looking at the schematics I noticed that two wires were reversed in J1. The blue-red and blue-brown. I reversed them but it still isn't working.
Next I'll try reflowing some solder joints...

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

With machine 'ON' and motor-board connected, you can 'ground' J1-1 (blu-red) and it should rotate in one direction.
When both J1-1 and J1-2 (blu-brn) are 'grounded, it should rotate in other direction.
If not, probably motor driver pcb broken or motor itself.

Grounding J1-1 doesn't do anything and there is no voltage on J2-1 and J2-4 to the motor. The motor works when connected to a 9v battery.

#9 5 years ago

I will try reflowing the solder and otherwise ask if I can try the board in Robin's Doctor Who. Maybe that will shed some light on the situation. Thanks Zaza!

#11 5 years ago

Reflowing the solder joints didn't help. I'll remove the C2 now. PinWiki says it's not even needed. Maybe that'll help.

#12 5 years ago

Continuity checked OK on the traces. No sign of leaks.

Bi-Directional Board (resized).jpgBi-Directional Board (resized).jpgBi-Directional Board 2 (resized).jpgBi-Directional Board 2 (resized).jpg
#13 5 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

I'm not going to make it to HQ tonight, maybe next time

Hope to see you next time then!

#15 5 years ago

Well, replacing C2 and the LM339 didn't fix it...

Bi-Directional Board 3 (resized).jpgBi-Directional Board 3 (resized).jpg
#16 5 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

You can check the outputs of the lm339 on U1 pin1 and 2, one should be high ( 12Volt ) and the other Low ( 0 Volt ).
And when J1-2 (inv) is put to GND, the state of U1 pin 1 and 2 are inverted (H -> L) and (L -> H)
see you next time !

I put the game in head test and put my DMM black lead on pin 1 and the red on pin 2. In Clockwise test it reads 12.1V and in Counterclockwise it reads 11.8V. It doesn't seem to reverse.

#18 5 years ago

Just put my board in a Doctor Who and it works fine. So back to connectors and wires...

#19 5 years ago

Replaced the J122 connector on the Power Driver Board this morning and success!!! The head now turns! The only problem is that it only turned clockwise.
I remembered that I 'corrected' the placement of the blue-brown and blue-red wire between J122 and J1 on the bi-directional board.
According to the schematics in the White Water manual J122-1 should go to J1-2 and J122-2 to J1-1. This turns out to be wrong. When I put the wires back how I found them the head turned both ways again. SO J122-1 goes to J1-1 and J122-2 to J1-2.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, IN
Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Marten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-bigfoot-problem?tu=Marten and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.