Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

trace-1.jpg
IMG_20200501_171506 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200501_132810 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200501_132656 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi All,

I'd like some advice with regards to Bigfoot on my Whitewater. Recently it was working but after, say, half an hour, bigfoot's head would stop moving and you'd get an error. Usually after powering off and on it would reset the error but this was usually after it was powered off for, at least, a period of time.

As a bit of a background, recently I decided to fix a faulty switch on disaster drop which required me unplugging various plugs through the playfield to get to the switch as I needed to remove a ramp. When everything was plugged back in bigfoot's head just kept spinning continuously. After turning the game off and back on Bigfoot no longer worked. Tried manually moving the head by hand and it moved fine. Tried the head motor test and opto tests and no luck.... Got errors and no movement.

I've since plugged a 9v battery into the head motor and it spins fine. Whilst doing this I put it into switch test mode and both optos were triggered so I'm thinking the problem is with the controller board (A-15680).

I took the board off and it looked like the main capacitor (C2) had leaked (refer photos) so, based on other people's fixes I replaced it and also replaced the chip with a new LM399 but no luck... No spinning head.

The red led on the board comes on, input voltages on J1 seem fine but I get nothing on the output pins on J2.

I ~think~ I have checked the continuity on the various traces but I'm not really sure if I've missed something or even looking in the right places to be honest. Perhaps other resistors, capacitors or diodes are gone...at this point debating whether i should give up and get a replacement A-15680.

Any ideas?

Thanks

IMG_20200501_132656 (resized).jpgIMG_20200501_132656 (resized).jpgIMG_20200501_132810 (resized).jpgIMG_20200501_132810 (resized).jpgIMG_20200501_171506 (resized).jpgIMG_20200501_171506 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

You could borrow a board from another pin to try.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

You could borrow a board from another pin to try.

Thanks, I did think of this but I don't have any of the other machines that use it and with current stay at home restrictions I'm limited in who I can bug to test mine in and vice versa.

Worst case I can buy a new one for around $100 Aud but I thought I'd try my luck fixing it if possible.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Vasme:

I ~think~ I have checked the continuity on the various traces but I'm not really sure if I've missed something or even looking in the right places to be honest.

The spots in red circle are affected. Be sure to verify continuity here.

trace-1.jpgtrace-1.jpg
#5 3 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

The spots in red circle are affected. Be sure to verify continuity here.[quoted image]

Bingo, you were spot on. It was the trace between +ve leg of C2 capacitor to the Q5 transistor. I jumpered a wire between those two points under the board and solved the problem.

I thought I had checked the continuity but obviously I needed another pair of eyes to see what I missed.

Thanks zaza

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Vasme:

Bingo, you were spot on. It was the trace between +ve leg of C2 capacitor to the Q5 transistor. I jumpered a wire between those two points under the board and solved the problem.
I thought I had checked the continuity but obviously I needed another pair of eyes to see what I missed.
Thanks zaza

Nice!!!!!!

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Vasme:

Thanks zaza

zaza is the shiz-nizzle!

#8 3 years ago

had to search internet for that word. Thanks !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

17,250 (OBO)
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-bigfoot-headache and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.