(Topic ID: 265006)

Solved:White Water solenoid fires at the same time.

By BentleyBear

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DD103A95-B4FE-4B81-8A63-D451B310B9AC (resized).png
15855911568314778408535728122715 (resized).jpg
20200329_185053 (resized).jpg
20200329_185030 (resized).jpg
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Anyone know what's going on here ?

#2 4 years ago

It’s on ball save,You mean your flippers are not working?

#3 4 years ago

Yeah, not sure what you are confused about...

It is giving you the ball back due to the ball saver kicking in. I assume you are using the home ROMs (i.e. LH-6)?

What exactly is the problem you are seeing?

#4 4 years ago

It just stays on the same ball.Doesen't add up the bonus or advance to the next ball.
If you look at the video you see that as soon as the ball drains it immediately pushes a new ball out.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

It just stays on the same ball.Doesen't add up the bonus or advance to the next ball.

Isn't that what ball save is supposed to do?

#6 4 years ago

Does it do this if you play and hit a few things?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Does it do this if you play and hit a few things?

Yes.

#8 4 years ago

Go into the adjustments menu and check the ball save timer. Maybe it’s adjusted to an insane number?

#9 4 years ago

The out hole kicker and the shooter lane serve coil are firing at the same time. It seems like something is causing these two could to fire simultaneously. Look into something grounding out these coils.
Also check your switch edge test. Curious if anything is stuck on.

Because the game never sees all 3 balls in the trough, it wont calculate the end of ball bonus.

#10 4 years ago

Switch test trough, trough kicker and shooter lane switches. Report back with findings. And use balls in trough vs pressing by hand. Make sure they all register closed when they should and/or aren't activating other switches when they shouldn't.

#11 4 years ago

Did you replace any switches recently?

#12 4 years ago

Switch test is your friend

#13 4 years ago

mystman12 you down voted me and another member I don’t give a shit about that but I’ll tell you one thing.What goes around comes around...

#14 4 years ago

It was actually 3 of us lol, doesn’t really bother me, I don’t mind being wrong but that action didn’t really add anything helpful here for our guy.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

It was actually 3 of us lol, doesn’t really bother me, I don’t mind being wrong but that action didn’t really add anything helpful here for our guy.

The OP should have stated what the problem was he was having!! Ok a video was put up but with all the fucking lights and sounds, and camera going up and down how should we know what problem he’s having?

#16 4 years ago

It seems like it has to be a stuck switch, a switch not registering, or switch wired/diode backwards.

#17 4 years ago

Tried switch test but not sure what i'm looking for.
If i hit a couple of things and let the ball go down to the outhole kicker,it doesen't advance to the next ball but if i do the same thing and buypass the outhole kicker it calculates the bonus and advance to the next ball.

I also changeed the plunger on the upper flipper but when i play the coil makes some sort of vibration/noise when i press the flipper button.

#18 4 years ago

Ok the first vid ball saver was on the first time the ball drained that’s why it put out another ball in the shooter.Second time you tried you grabbed the ball before it hit the drain switch you picked it up and placed in the ball through that’s why it ended and went to ball 2

Second vid.. there’s 2 things that could be causing that
1.clean the contacts on the EOS blades do this gently so you don’t bend them.
2.clean the plunger,spring,spring return and coil stop,coil sleeve.A good cleaning should solve it if not post back

#19 4 years ago

Go into the test menus and change or disable ball savor if this is the real problem your having.It might be set for a long period of time.If you disable it and the ball drains it will go to ball 2,3 ect.
If the drain switch is not registering then it’s a bad,faulty,flacky switch. I’ll tell you what make another vid.
1.start the game,shoot the ball up and let it bounce around but grab it before it drains and hold it.Then when the ball saver light goes out release the ball in the middle of the playfield and let it drain then you’ll know if it’s a switch problem or ball saver problem

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

mystman12 you down voted me and another member I don’t give a shit about that but I’ll tell you one thing.What goes around comes around...

Sorry, I was just downvoting since your answers were incorrect... If I tried answering someone's question but I was wrong I would want people to downvote my post so people could see it's wrong. When I downvote I don't do so because I'm angry or anything like that, I do it because maybe I disagree or think the information being shared is incorrect or unhelpful. To me upvotes and downvotes are a quick and easy way to show that you agree or disagree with someone.

That said, you're right that it's not really helpful for me to downvote and walk away, so I'll add my two cents to the situation.

The issue has *nothing* to do with the ball saver. When the ball is saved with the ball saver the bonus music doesn't start (Like it does in the video) and an animation plays that says the ball was saved (Unless no switch is hit, in which case no animation plays and a new ball is served, but the music never changes). You can rule the ball saver out as an issue.

What seems to be happening, as GLSP3022 pointed out, is the ball serve solenoid seems to be firing when the drain solenoid fires. This ends up pushing a ball out of the trough as another one enters, which seems to be confusing the game into thinking that a ball didn't actually drain and so it cancels the bonus sequence. Use solenoid test and test each of those coils to make sure none of them cause the other to fire.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Sorry, I was just downvoting since your answers were incorrect... If I tried answering someone's question but I was wrong I would want people to downvote my post so people could see it's wrong. When I downvote I don't do so because I'm angry or anything like that, I do it because maybe I disagree or think the information being shared is incorrect or unhelpful. To me upvotes and downvotes are a quick and easy way to show that you agree or disagree with someone.
That said, you're right that it's not really helpful for me to downvote and walk away, so I'll add my two cents to the situation.
The issue has *nothing* to do with the ball saver. When the ball is saved with the ball saver the bonus music doesn't start (Like it does in the video) and an animation plays that says the ball was saved (Unless no switch is hit, in which case no animation plays and a new ball is served, but the music never changes). You can rule the ball saver out as an issue.
What seems to be happening, as GLSP3022 pointed out, is the ball serve solenoid seems to be firing when the drain solenoid fires. This ends up pushing a ball out of the trough as another one enters, which seems to be confusing the game into thinking that a ball didn't actually drain and so it cancels the bonus sequence. Use solenoid test and test each of those coils to make sure none of them cause the other to fire.

Well,why didn’t you help out the OP or state what the problem was when he first put up the Vid without posting what his issue was?Instead you waited one day to post what issues he’s having after he posts more info?!?

Look upvote,downvote,sidevote I don’t give a fuck about that..I do care about helping Pinsiders when help is needed.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Well,why didn’t you help out the OP or state what the problem was when he first put up the Vid without posting what his issue was?Instead you waited one day to post what issues he’s having after he posts more info?!?
Look upvote,downvote,sidevote I don’t give a fuck about that..I do care about helping Pinsiders when help is needed.

Woah, calm down, haha. Why are you getting so hostile? I already said you were right and that it would have been more helpful had I actually posted some advice. The main reason I didn't post initially was because GLSP3022 had already posted my thoughts. Lesson learned though.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Woah, calm down, haha. Why are you getting so hostile? I already said you were right and that it would have been more helpful had I actually posted some advice. The main reason I didn't post initially was because GLSP3022 had already posted my thoughts. Lesson learned though.

Believe me I’m very calm

#24 4 years ago

You have a credit dot on your display. What fault is it? May have something to do with your issue.

#25 4 years ago

Take a picture of the outhole switch under the playfield.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Take a picture of the outhole switch under the playfield.

20200329_185030 (resized).jpg20200329_185030 (resized).jpg20200329_185053 (resized).jpg20200329_185053 (resized).jpg
#27 4 years ago

Do you have a broken green wire anywhere around the switch? Matrix switches usually have 2 green on middle lug and I only see one

#28 4 years ago

My White Water drain switch is wired the same way as OP's. The switch also seems to be registering since it kicks the ball when it drains, so I don't think that's the issue. Have you gone into the solenoid test yet? Test solenoids 01 and 02 and make sure only one solenoid fires with each. If 01 also causes 02 to fire, that's your problem.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

My White Water drain switch is wired the same way as OP's. The switch also seems to be registering since it kicks the ball when it drains, so I don't think that's the issue. Have you gone into the solenoid test yet? Test solenoids 01 and 02 and make sure only one solenoid fires with each. If 01 also causes 02 to fire, that's your problem.

Correct. Outhole kicker and ball serve solenoid fires at the same time.
What's the fix for this ?

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Correct. Outhole kicker and ball serve solenoid fires at the same time.
What's the fix for this ?

Unfortunately I don't have the know-how on how to fix an issue like this. It would definitely be worth checking the wiring of the two solenoids to check for any shorts or broken wires though. I'd also recommend updating the title of this thread to mention that both solenoids are firing.

#31 4 years ago

It has to be a wiring issue or diode if they are both in the same row in the switch matrix.But my money is on a bad/faulty diode.Open up the manual and go to the switch matrix chart and see if they are both in the same row.Also do you have extra diodes on hand?

#32 4 years ago

In switch edge, when you hit the out hole what does the DMD say? Does it show only outhole being activated or does it also light the ball eject.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

In switch edge, when you hit the out hole what does the DMD say? Does it show only outhole being activated or does it also light the ball eject.

In switch edge it only shows outhole is activated and the same for ball serve.

When i go into solenoid test and choose outhole kicker both solenoids fires at the same time but when i choose ball serve it only activates the ball serve solenoid so it seems the problem is with the outhole switch.Here's the DMM readings for the diode.

15855911568314778408535728122715 (resized).jpg15855911568314778408535728122715 (resized).jpg
#34 4 years ago

If that’s the case with it showing only in solenoid test and not in switch edge I’d look really hard at the wiring from the outhole to ball eject. I’m not 100% but I think if the diode on the solenoid is bad it would blow a fuse but maybe not. Maybe try replacing the outhole solenoid and see if anything changes if all the wiring looks right. Could be a partially damaged diode on the solenoid itself if the wiring is good. I don’t personally own, but I have access to a white water and could take a look at that one in a few days to give you something to compare to
It’s either a bad diode on the solenoid which I’m not sure if it can happen without a fuse blowing or a bad diode on the outhole switch. I’d start by ordering a switch and proper coil just in case the first attempt doesn’t fix and if it does you have a spare coil.
Although looking at the matrix I can’t tell that these switches are related to each other... which makes me suspect wiring between the two coils or the coil diode.

DD103A95-B4FE-4B81-8A63-D451B310B9AC (resized).pngDD103A95-B4FE-4B81-8A63-D451B310B9AC (resized).png
#35 4 years ago

I seriously doubt the issue has anything to do with a switch. If both solenoids are firing at once in solenoid test, a switch isn't going to be the reason that is happening.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I seriously doubt the issue has anything to do with a switch. If both solenoids are firing at once in solenoid test, a switch isn't going to be the reason that is happening.

Agreed, this is a pretty odd issue. I would put the game in solenoid test with it stopped (not cycling) then use a jumper wire to very quickly ground the tab of the drive transistor for each of those two solenoids. If both still fire at once that way it's some kind of problem on the playfield, if they don't the problem is on the board.

#37 4 years ago

Following this thread with interest. I have a similar issue on my Fish Tales where the right slingshot will sometimes fire when the left pop bumper fires. Switches are definitely not the issue, and it happens with different MPU boards. I'm thinking there is an issue on the power driver board. Good luck to the OP.

#38 4 years ago

Just did some further testing and found that also the kickback coil fires at the same time as the ball serve coil when i test the different coils so now the outhole kicker/ball serve and kickback/ball serve coil fires at the same time

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Just did some further testing and found that also the kickback coil fires at the same time as the ball serve coil when i test the different coils so now the outhole kicker/ball serve and kickback/ball serve coil fires at the same time

Did you do the test I suggested by using a jumper wire to quickly ground the tabs of each of the drive transistors for those coils to see if multiples fire that way too? I'd have to believe this is an issue on the board not the playfield but I'd do this test to be absolutely sure.

#40 4 years ago

I would remove coils and check the wrappers. Perhaps a coils wrapper is worn grounding out causing the coil to fire when vibration occurs of the other coil firing.

#41 4 years ago

Some weird shit going on in switch test when i hit the flipper buttons. Also the upper right flipper/coil makes some sort of noise and vibrates when i press the right flipper button.

#42 4 years ago

Honestly unplug everything on the driver board and reseat all connectors. This seems like a pretty abnormal thing that may resolve that way

#43 4 years ago

Unplugged and reseated every connector on all the boards but no change.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Unplugged and reseated every connector on all the boards but no change.

ribbon cables too?

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Some weird shit going on in switch test when i hit the flipper buttons. Also the upper right flipper/coil makes some sort of noise and vibrates when i press the right flipper button.

Your switch test appears to be normal. It's just that it goes kind of crazy since so many switches close at once. Right flipper closes both right flipper switches (Yes there are two switches in the right flipper button) and both end of strokes, so it's just trying to show all the switches closing at once. Left flipper is the same thing but there's only one flipper of course.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the upper flipper. I can't really hear anything in that video but I can in the video in post #17. My first thought would have been the EOS but the switch test shows that's closing as it should.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

ribbon cables too?

Yes.Disconnected every connector but no luck so far

#47 4 years ago

Darn, guess I’ll take it off your hands since it’s broken only kidding. I hope this gets figured out

#48 4 years ago

Problem solved..The 2 power wires for the ball serve solenoid was not connected to the same lug.
Thanks to Pinside member "DumbAss" for helping me with this

#49 4 years ago

Just read all this and now trying to figure out your solution. What does “The 2 power wires...was not connected to the same lug” mean? Were the 2 wires connected to something else or connected wrong or not connected at all?

Glad it’s fixed, but I’d like to know how for future trouble shooting.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Just read all this and now trying to figure out your solution. What does “The 2 power wires...was not connected to the same lug” mean? Were the 2 wires connected to something else or connected wrong or not connected at all?
Glad it’s fixed, but I’d like to know how for future trouble shooting.

The drive wire was connected together with one of the power wires on the same contact point on the solenoid and that caused the solenoids to fire at the same time.
The two power wires VIO-YEL should have been together on one contact point on the solenoid and the drive wire on the other.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-water-ball-problem- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.