Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0027 (resized).JPG
IMG_0028 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I'm doing my first playfied resto (minor touchup, mostly). Following the process on pinrepair.com, I used Magic Eraser and some isopropyl alcohol to get rid of surface dirt, swirl marks, etc. (and it did a treat job). Since this was my first go-round, I took it real easy to make sure I wasn't removing paint, hitting primer, etc. Next, I used some Naptha to remove the residue. But as soon as the Naptha dried (almost instantaneously), white streaks and spots appeared across the playfield (see photos, left is 'before,' right is 'after'). These marks were not there (or apparent to the naked eye) before the Naptha. Also, if I hit the streaks with more Naptha they disappear, but then reappear. Did I do something wrong? Any way to permanently get rid of the streaks?

IMG_0028 (resized).JPGIMG_0028 (resized).JPG

IMG_0027 (resized).JPGIMG_0027 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Clean with wax or Novus. Or try alcohol first. They should go away.

Could still be the magic eraser residue left overs.

So try cleaning it up a bit more.

#3 6 years ago

after magic eraser I usually have to make several novus 2 passes to get rid of the white streaks

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

after magic eraser I usually have to make several novus 2 passes to get rid of the white streaks

And quick or those suckers are staying on

#5 6 years ago

Do not clean with wax, this causes overcoating, and you have not finished painting. Clean with alcohol, not Novus. No water based products either, as you are letting excess moisture into the cracks in wood.

Good luck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-streaks-after-naptha?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.