(Topic ID: 192228)

White Star EOS

By HighVoltage

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I've been debugging weak flipper on a Sopranos (White Star), and have been fiddling with EOS. I've read/heard different things about the function of EOS on White Star. Even Pinwiki is unclear, contradictory:

A normally closed EOS switch is present. The purpose of the EOS switch is to detect when a fast-moving ball has forced the flipper down ("foldback"). Unlike a traditional or Fliptronic mechanism, the EOS switch is not used to detect end of stroke. That is, the EOS switch closing does not cause a switch from "kick" to "hold".

So, if EOS is not used to switch to "hold", then why:

The EOS switch should be present for improved play, but if it's broken, the flipper will work for the most part. However, in some instances, a flipper with a broken or missing EOS switch may be noticeably weaker.

Ha, all clear? Kind of contradicts the above.

I did some experimenting, notably leaving the normally-closed EOS switch in an always-open state. This definitely affected the flip power adversely, so the EOS switch status is certainly being used in the computer pulsing logic. IE. The former statement in Pinwiki is incorrect, and the latter is correct. Or perhaps there are differences in White Star OS versions.

I also tried to experiment to see if with properly configured EOS now, I could simulate a hit-down on the flipper and it getting re-energized to go back up. This didn't seem successful, the hold power was already very strong, and forcing it down produced no additional bounce back, although I'm sure I've sometimes experienced that exact scenario in game, if not on this machine, but others.

I've been hesitant to experiment with the EOS in an always closed state. I'm assuming it is safe as there is probably a fail safe time in the code that will prevent over pulsing, but can someone verify this for sure?

Additionally, why does EOS not show in the switch diagnostics? I was hoping to see if there might be flaky detection, but it's not there to test.

1 week later
#2 6 years ago

After further investigation and experimenting, what Pinwiki says can both be true, and once all the mystery was gone, I could sort out the issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-star-eos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.