Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 488 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by djreddog
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B32FBF5F-911A-43B4-B880-9A6456818011 (resized).jpeg
    2018 York - Seeburg Model 201 (resized).jpg
    B02C5EF3-9D7F-4303-88BB-B1F1DC7F4435 (resized).jpeg
    049 (resized).JPG
    063 (resized).JPG
    058 (resized).JPG
    045 (resized).JPG
    043 (resized).JPG
    029 (resized).JPG
    036 (resized).JPG
    031 (resized).JPG
    019 (resized).JPG
    024 (resized).JPG
    014 (resized).JPG
    021 (resized).JPG
    016 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#131 5 years ago

Yikes, that shirt is bad. Not only is it just flat out juvenile, it's a major wrong turn for where we should be driving this hobby. It's a bad look, and I was hoping we would be getting better about leaving this sort of art in pinball's past rather than keeping it around.

#138 5 years ago

Oh, come on guys. The shirt was in poor taste. Don't make Rich into a victim here. It was really shortsighted to have a t-shirt design like that in the first place.

#146 5 years ago

Here, you can see the image that was being used for the shirt.

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I don't think the artwork on that shirt was a far cry from previous years. This is one of my favorite pinball shirts ever. Other shows have had similar artwork on show t-shirts. Reflective of many of the machines that we are playing there
    [quoted image]

Yes, this is a terrible shirt too.

Quoted from rmarket:

For the record, the image that was posted by jar155 is not the image posted by the show and has been poorly photo shopped to further someone's agenda. So does anyone still think that "just trying to help" includes editing images and attributing them to the show?

The only version of the image I could find had the photoshopped joke. But seriously, that art is far more along the lines of BDSM than pinball. That's the issue. It's not the type of art we should really be pushing. It's distasteful and it's not welcoming to all people.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Still trying to figure out why someone from Utah cares what the t-shirt is in a Pennsylvania show...

If you're that shortsighted, I can't help you. You can either choose to educate yourself on why these things matter or continue to not see the problem. That's really your choice. But these sorts of things are problems. It's for the better of the show if that type of art isn't representing the show.

If you are a parent and happen to see that shirt being promoted on Facebook, are you likely to be more or less encouraged to take your kids to the show? If you're a woman just barely getting into pinball, and you think this might be a good first show for you, would that shirt encourage or discourage you from going? Think about it a bit.

We're trying to grow the hobby and make it more comfortable for everyone. Everybody knows that pinball used to be filled with art and themes that were aimed at appeasing straight, white male interests, but pinball is bigger than that. We're trying to move forward. The more welcoming we can make the hobby, the more healthy it will be for all involved.

#163 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I think you missed the part about PA vs Utah...

It's the same hobby. Oh, and hey, people from other states travel to these things. Listening to Nick Baldridge talk about his multi-bingo and the bingo and woodrail rows on a podcast this morning makes me want to go to the White Rose show. It's been on my radar for years, it's just bad timing for me this year, so I'm hoping to make it happen next year. I have NOTHING against the show nor its organizers. I just don't like the shirt that was presented and I know a lot of others that didn't either. It wasn't "just a few" as others keep saying.

Right vs. wrong is not confined by state lines. The shirt was in poor taste, and living in a different state has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Do you guys even listen to people who are affected by these sorts of things? If a woman says, "hey, thing X makes me uncomfortable," do you think it's a good idea to tell her to just accept it because "that's the way it is!" or is it a better idea to find out what's offensive and work to fix it? There's nothing inherently male about pinball, so the skewed demographics should cause people to question why they're skewed, not used as an excuse to just keep painting up events and promo materials to look like a trucker's lounge from the '70s.

If people are made uncomfortable, let's ask why. Let's not tell them they're wrong. Let's make the hobby better. Let's certainly not make some ridiculous idea up about opinions being confined to state lines when we constantly travel across them to attend shows and events. I've been out state for several this year already. Heck, our last local tournament top ten had people from Utah, Nevada, Massachusetts, Texas, and Michigan.

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Ok, when you finally do make it to York... you can take note of the social, economic, and general clientel of South Central PA. You won't find it very liberal leaning, progressive, or flashy. That isn't to say they are behind... its to highlight that this area is from a simpler, blue collar time and attitude. They aren't as easily offended as some people want to make the new world order.
    So when someone on the opposite side of the country tells you.. how you should feel... from an environment that has absolutely nothing to do with yours... yeah.. recognize your world isn't necessarily THEIR world.

I find your avatar and handle offensive and it makes me uncomfortable. Change it.

Forget it. Enjoy your bubble. The rest of the world will move forward and not run good people off. Want to know why places like Seattle, Portland, Denver, or San Francisco have such strong pinball scenes? It's because they include everyone and their communities continue to grow. They're inclusive, and we should all be trying to emulate that. If we want pinball on every corner in our cities, we need people on every corner to feel comfortable with pinball in their cities. It's simple, really.

None of this should be tied to liberal nor conservative thought. It's not political at all. It's not anything other than just being welcoming to all people.

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I suggest you just let this go or I am sure a group of people from our local pinball community will put an end to it. Rich has a ton of friends in the area and at some point one of them is going to have enough of your BS and just put an end to it.

Ok, so I didn't realize I was dealing with tough guys! What have I waded into here?! That's a great way to deal with things, by the way. It's obvious that you guys don't actually care why people got upset by the shirt. If you don't care, then there's no point discussing it.

Quoted from flynnibus:

As someone who has been going to this show since the days of being in the Firehouse... and as someone who actually got married right there in downtown York.. I think I have a bit more perspective on the audience then you.

IT. IS. NOT. ABOUT. YOU.

---

The shirt thing is over. They pulled the post, which was the right thing to do. People wanted to know why there was a negative reaction to the shirt, so some of us tried to explain. You can't ask for an explanation and then tell people that you don't want to hear it. I won't say anything more on it, but I would suggest opening your eyes to the world a bit more. It's changing, and while you don't have to, you need to realize that most others are.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-rose-gameroomyork-show-2017-edition?tu=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.