1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,114 posts
  • 215 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Skidave
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 470 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

32BC883C-2769-4EE2-AEB2-AB7C6685F128 (resized).jpeg
    B50F030E-9089-44B4-8A83-EBFFAFB49761 (resized).jpeg
    20191015_212245 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4794 (resized).JPG
    dd (resized).jpg
    20191012_115312 (resized).jpg
    20191012_115301 (resized).jpg
    20191012_115304 (resized).jpg
    051c3c1b588def3cbca9dfd2d98b3827eb3d79e9 (resized).jpg
    20191013_161650 (resized).jpg
    20191013_182346 (resized).jpg
    pinshakers (resized).jpg
    20191013_005026 (resized).jpg
    7D50AEBD-B1F9-4B0D-8B1C-BEE26D87CA23 (resized).jpeg
    6B31A14B-E8BB-4EE8-8755-E021419B1F97 (resized).jpeg
    997BC9D8-EB37-4E49-8D33-81B37B60650C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rmarket.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#119 1 year ago

There is also some talk of having a prewar area. We are trying to work out the details, we'll see if it works out or not.

Quoted from Stoomer:

Before there was Bingo Row there was Woodrail Row. :0) I haven't talked to any of the other normal woodrail guys yet, but I'll be bringing my usual 2-3 woodies.
    And anyone else who plans to bring one should really try to set it up with the others...it always pains me to see a lonely woodrail at york amidst the metal railed EMs...or even worse - in between some solid state pins. Just looks wrong...haha
    Sean

1 week later
    #209 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not that this is the thread for it, but it ain't like Allentown... there's not much in the immediate area and no farmers market. It's not a super long drive to get somewhere good, just not immediately next door

You have to drive a couple of miles out to Route 30 but there are many choices there, Buffalo Wild Wings, a couple of rib and steak places, Starlight diner and the usual cast of chain restaurants. There is also a farmers market in the downtown York Area but I wouldn't advise going there as the parking situation is bad. There are some good pizza places nearby. The fairgrounds food vendor is fine. But there is a limit to how much deep fried food you can eat if you are there the entire show.

#241 1 year ago

Like I said to Joe in an earlier post most people don't realize what it takes to be a vendor and the expense. It's minimum two nights in a hotel, trailer/truck rental, plus the expense of the booth. Currently $150 a booth if you want electricity.

I just want to point out that the $150 is one of the lowest prices for a booth at a pinball show and for space at any event at the York Fairgrounds. I know that being a vendor is expensive and do everything I can to keep the prices as low as possible. Despite the general perception, running a show is not a wildly profitable venture.

2 weeks later
    #394 1 year ago

If you are bringing games for the free play area, please register them. I need to have my floor layout plans into the Fairgrounds this week. While the hall is big enough that space shouldn't be an issue, the layout includes where I will need power drops. You can register the games online at: http://www.theyorkshow.com/game-registration.html We are also having the cash drawing again this year for those that bring games and have registered.

#404 1 year ago

Yes, we still have indoor, outdoor and vendor spots available. If you want one, let me know.

At this point we have more vendors signed up for the show than we had last year. While a few vendors can't make the show due for various reasons we still are going to have a great selection of vendors at the show.

Quoted from Flipperfun:

Any spaces left in the flea market inside?

#417 1 year ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

He needs to do another run of last year’s design!

The company that prints our shirts is in the process of moving and are running late with getting a design to us.

#478 1 year ago

With that said PLEASE do all you can to help Rich stay in the bigger hall. Growth of these shows is good for the hobby and I hate to see things scaled back if it isn't necessary.

The new building is larger than what we really need but the other building (Old Main) is too small. It was at the point with the Old Main building that we had more vendors than what we had space. On that topic, as of today we have only three vendor spots still available. Still plenty of indoor and outdoor flea market spots and free play spots.

We are doing the drawing again this year for those that bring games and have them up and running Saturday at 4PM.

#526 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Perhaps he should come up with an even trashier t-shirt design this year to pull more neckbeards out of the woodwork? Time to start looking at the method...because Allentown seems to be growing every year, not shrinking.

FYI those shirts sold out in a few hours and I get weekly requests to have them remade. So you don't like the design of last year's show? No one forced you or anyone to buy them and I can understand why people don't like them. Here is the thing about those shirts, guess what the gender of the person that worked with the company on them is? Everyone assumed that it was me that worked on them, but it wasn't. It was a WOMAN!

Why are you so negative about the show? I don't think we ever met (although I know who you are as the Pin collector community is small in this area) You seem to have some sort of issue with me personally. I also noticed that while you bash the show, you are attempting to profit from it with your pin sales.

The show is growing, both attendance and # of vendors have been up every year that I have run it. So your statement is invalid.

#538 1 year ago

It's simple, the plans and decision on show dates and buildings for next year is being made now and I use metrics such as the indoor flea market and game registrations to gauge which building I should rent for next year.

So your opinion of the show and me is based on the shirts? Don't you think that may be a small sampling of data to base your opinion on? Have you ever looked at most of the artwork on the machines themselves?

Quoted from JodyG:

So why is Chip telling us, after after talking to you last night, that people aren't supporting the show and the show will be moving back to the smaller hall? Which is it? I don't have a problem with you at all, I just prefer not to attend shows that prefer to market to the co-magnon element of the hobby that is perfectly happy keeping pinball in the dark ages.

#540 1 year ago

And the time of the year too, May is prime time for people to have a Tax refund burning a whole in their pockets. We also loose some vendors because Chicago is usually the next week and they have to choose between York or Chicago and they pick Chicago.

In my opinion you are 100% right, that is exactly what the show is about. I view it as I am hosting a party for a few thousand friends.

Quoted from arcademojo:

I think a lot has to do with location also. Allentown is a closer drive for people coming from the north or east of PA. So brings in a bigger spectator crowd. A bigger crowd will bring in more vendors. I've been going to York for over a decade and really don't care if it's the biggest show or smallest show. Always thought it was about hobbyist getting together, having fun, selling and buying a few things.

#546 1 year ago

Uh, did you miss the part where I mentioned it was a WOMAN that worked with the company to design it? A woman that has children? Had you paid attention last year, we did have an alternate family friendly shirt printed? As far as market share, Arcade gaming in all forms is mostly a male endeavor. Not due to any sort of sexism but more likely that men are more competitive and enjoy it more than women do. I have games on locations and I see it at every location.

Quoted from JodyG:

Rich unveiled the preliminary shirt design early last year, and it set off a firestorm on social media. He chose to change nothing, double down and continue to go through with having the shirts made and sold out of them at the show. Sure, it was a "success" in the moment, but how many people were turned off from coming to the show at all after the initial announcement and social media storm? I want to see this hobby grow, and times are changing. This isn't 1986 any more. One of the great growing and untapped markets of this hobby are among women and kids. There are likely many women out there who stay away from pinball due to the greasy, sexist stereotypes that are reinforced by the t-shirt design from this show. Yes, it is a free world...but when a promoter of a show decides to market the hobby in this manner, I am personally not going to support it. For someone that wants to see the show get bigger, why would you purposely try to alienate a portion of your market? You should be looking to attract as many different demographics as you can, not placate to a vocal minority. If you have a problem with me standing up for what I believe in, Chip/Rich...i'm sorry you feel that way. Good luck with your endeavors...my involvement either way is pretty minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

#622 1 year ago

Thanks to everyone that has registered games in the past few days! Just as a reminder, we do have a drawing at the end of the of the show on Saturday for everyone that brought a game for both days of the show and still has the game on the floor and running at 4 on Saturday. We draw five names and each person wins $100 cash. Each game counts as an entry but you can only win once.

There are still a couple of Vendor and flea market spots left.

#633 1 year ago
    Quoted from Skidave:

I print the flyer every year and distribute to my friends and coworkers. I also hang flyers around the office. Hopefully that adds some attendees.

We do a lot of advertising and poll many attendees at the show. Word of mouth is our best form of advertising by a long shot.

Thanks!

#713 1 year ago

The one that was at Allentown will be at the York show but it won't be for sale.

Quoted from jaytrem:

I'm guessing you grabbed that machine that went real quick to "sale pending"? Playfield looks great! There was one in Allentown this year with a nice backglass and l'm pretty sure lesser playfield. Could be combined into a real nice one if it shows up. Sorry I don't have more info on it for you.

#730 1 year ago

We could also store it at the registration booth for you

Quoted from zacaj:

Does anyone have space at their booth/etc to store a crated playfield until Saturday morning? Have one being delivered Friday but can't make it down...

#762 1 year ago

The guys from the American Historical Jukebox society will be there. They generally deal with older machines but they may have a source for you. I'd contact them and see: https://www.ahjbs-jukeboxsociety.com/

#782 1 year ago

I have a Candy crane and Sports Arena merchandiser that I could bring if there is any interest.

#793 1 year ago

We still have some room for more games in the free play area and a few indoor flea market spots left. We will do everything we can to get your games on the floor if you bring them. I am bringing a bunch of my games and if needed, I can pull some of them to make room

#867 1 year ago

Unfortunately, it probably won't save you much time. Camp Hill is a mess traffic wise.

Quoted from tomdrum:

Traffic question. The last few years I left the show on Friday during rush hour and sat for over an hour +. I travel 83N to Rt 322 West to State College. Do any of you Harrisburg locals know if I'd be better off taking the PA turnpike off 83 N head west and the exit to Rt 15 thru Camp Hill? Then follow the west bank to Duncannon?

#1001 1 year ago

Just few comments
    One thing about the crazy priced games. It is frequently done to stop people from asking how much for the game. Putting not for sale on the games seems to encourage people to make offers and try to talk you out of the game. (I lost count on how many people tried to buy Fathom from me this weekend) Oddly enough when you put a stupid price on a game, people leave you alone.

Classic arcades was registered but didn't show up. I have no idea why.

The outdoor flea market is still offered. Take a look at the registration form if you have any doubts. But when given the choice between indoor and outdoor, the vendors pick indoor. With how often it rains on the weekend of the show, it is no surprise. The flea markets have changed, the stashes of project games sitting in operators warehouses are all but gone. Ebay and the high value of the games has done that and there is no going back to the flea markets of yesterday.

As to stopping people from removing games early, you try to deter them with fees, but when people just spent a few thousand on a game, what amount is going to make a difference?

#1007 1 year ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

One thing I was very happy to see yesterday is people hung in their later. Normally people start packing up crazy early on Saturday but most people waited until way after 4 PM before they started packing. And even at 5 PM there were still plenty of machines still in freeplay and most of the vendors in the flea market area were just starting to pack.

I noticed that also and really appreciate that people are following the rule. For the show to survive we need the public attendance and paying admission to watch people tearing down games that they wanted to play is a really good way to upset people. Unlike years past, we didn't have a single complaint from anyone about the games being torn down early. We did have a few games on the floor that got turned off for various issues but the aisles were too crowded to move them back to the hospital area. There was still one or two that got sold and turned off. We need to improve on preventing that from happening.

Thank you to everyone that participated in the show. We had a great show and turnout.

#1032 1 year ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Getting and keeping more exhibitor games on the floor is more than a matter of levying a fine. The key is tilting the entire vibe of the show from "swap meet" to "social experience". This requires food trucks, zones to hang out and chat, competitions, cash prizes, awards for different "best of" categories, streaming video interviews of the owners/restorers, and so forth.

Well, the York show has competitions, cash prizes, best of and many other offerings beside just the games. As to food trucks idea, the Fairground has exclusive contracts with their food vendor and no other food vendors are permitted. There are a lot of benefits that you are are overlooking with having the show at the Fairgrounds. Free Parking, Power, Hall sizes, occupancy numbers, and many others.

#1040 1 year ago

I understand all too well. Last test I had 98DB loss in one ear and the other isn't a whole lot better. A lot of the times I was right next to the guy making the announcements and couldn't understand him. If I could come up with something that would help, I would be all over it. Sorry, I am right there with you on this one and I just don't have a solution.

Quoted from arcademojo:

rmarket
    Once again thought the show was everything I expected and had a good time. My only complaint is during the end drawing and awards. Myself and few others that bring games are hearing impaired. Plus many people are busy packing up, moving stuff out of the building and what not. It would be great if you would wright the names and games down that won on the board after being called. All the times I’ve been there I never know who won what.

#1042 1 year ago

I've put a lot of thought into the auction idea over the years, and can't see it working from a logistics standpoint. The auction would need to be "free admission". What happens to the show if the public can go next door and play all day for free? What would be the incentive to go into the show? When would it happen? Being a two day show, it would have to either happen on what is a setup day for some or the day that everyone is going to be tearing down. How would that work with the traffic from the show? Maybe run it on Sunday after the show but the rent from the fairgrounds is too high to make the auction profitable. There is no multi day discount (or any other discount) when dealing with the fairgrounds.

Also it was already tried at the York show years back and it didn't really work out well. Some of the Maryland Auctions tried a hybrid show auction thing for a couple of events and I don't think it went over really well.

#1053 1 year ago

It wasn't for sale. It is owned by Steve S from WV. I find it interesting how the games that were generally despised when they where new are so sought after and enjoyed nowadays.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D Tech. Pinball Parts
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 3.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 47.00
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 8.95
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 229.99
    $ 6.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 14.95
    Pinball Machine
    COINTAKER.COM

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rmarket.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside