1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,114 posts
  • 215 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Skidave
  • Topic is favorited by 52 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 470 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

32BC883C-2769-4EE2-AEB2-AB7C6685F128 (resized).jpeg
    B50F030E-9089-44B4-8A83-EBFFAFB49761 (resized).jpeg
    20191015_212245 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4794 (resized).JPG
    dd (resized).jpg
    20191012_115312 (resized).jpg
    20191012_115301 (resized).jpg
    20191012_115304 (resized).jpg
    051c3c1b588def3cbca9dfd2d98b3827eb3d79e9 (resized).jpg
    20191013_161650 (resized).jpg
    20191013_182346 (resized).jpg
    pinshakers (resized).jpg
    20191013_005026 (resized).jpg
    7D50AEBD-B1F9-4B0D-8B1C-BEE26D87CA23 (resized).jpeg
    6B31A14B-E8BB-4EE8-8755-E021419B1F97 (resized).jpeg
    997BC9D8-EB37-4E49-8D33-81B37B60650C (resized).jpeg

There are 1114 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 23.
    #1051 1 year ago

Was that Universal 5-Star for sale? I'd love one of those one day.

#1052 1 year ago

If the Bally Spectrum was for sale, I would have refinanced the house to buy it. What a unique machine.

#1053 1 year ago

It wasn't for sale. It is owned by Steve S from WV. I find it interesting how the games that were generally despised when they where new are so sought after and enjoyed nowadays.

#1054 1 year ago
    Quoted from freakmech:

If the Bally Spectrum was for sale, I would have refinanced the house to buy it. What a unique machine.

I had a blast playing that one. Plus got multiple in a row since nobody was waiting.

#1055 1 year ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

There is no need for a show to try and be like another show - each can be unique and still be great in their own way.

Skip, I totally agree with that statement. Each show is different and unique in it's own way, and I enjoy each one for what it is. Seeing pinball and your pinball buddies (!) alive and well is the best part of any show.

#1056 1 year ago

As usual a fantastic show! This was my first year with a booth and Rich and crew were nothing but supportive in every way.

The games I brought held up pretty well - I haven't set them back up yet to see how many plays they got at the show, but I suspect quite a few. A peek during the show on Multi-Races showed over 1000 button presses.

On the topic of awards - Don's machine was over-the-top amazing and certainly deserved to win best in show. Congratulations, Don!

Thank you to all that came and spoke with me and tried the games - it was a much busier time than normal between manning the booth and trying to help with tech questions and teaching folks to play, but somehow the juggling worked.

And a huge thank you to Rich, the show staff, and everyone that brings games to share with folks. The lighter-than-normal bingo turnout this year will be remedied next year (discussions are already well underway)!

Those that were not able to make it, we certainly missed you. Old friends and new, it was great to see you! Can't wait for next year.

#1057 1 year ago

Awesome time had, went both days. Didn't buy any games but came close to getting my first EM. Bought a lot of parts and met Pinballmuggle and bought his pinball sign. My favorites were the Baywatch, The Haunted House, Expo EM, Whirlwind. I actually like the old pitch and bat that Ivan brought, that was pretty fun to play. Got to play a lot of firsts for me. Always is a great experience.

#1058 1 year ago
    Quoted from rmarket:

I've put a lot of thought into the auction idea over the years, and can't see it working from a logistics standpoint. The auction would need to be "free admission". What happens to the show if the public can go next door and play all day for free? What would be the incentive to go into the show? When would it happen? Being a two day show, it would have to either happen on what is a setup day for some or the day that everyone is going to be tearing down. How would that work with the traffic from the show? Maybe run it on Sunday after the show but the rent from the fairgrounds is too high to make the auction profitable. There is no multi day discount (or any other discount) when dealing with the fairgrounds.
    Also it was already tried at the York show years back and it didn't really work out well. Some of the Maryland Auctions tried a hybrid show auction thing for a couple of events and I don't think it went over really well.

At the Pheasant Run shows in Chicago some years ago, they would run a small auction just for show attendees at the end of the day. Any vendor who wanted could consign a machine, parts, or anything else to the auction. Someone would walk from booth to booth, item to item and auction it off. Very very informal. No special admissions, no real rules. Auction items didn't have to be pre-registered and could change from minute to minute. If you had something you were sick of looking at and didn't want to take home, you could try it at auction. Sometimes buyers could get a good deal, sometimes not. I don't think sellers were obligated to let an item go if prices were too low. They held right of refusal, but often could be cajoled into selling by good natured ribbing from the crowd!

An auction like this might be fun, and might encourage more people to hang around a little later in the day. The auctions were typically held around 3PM if I remember correctly. But with a relatively small crowd, prices might also be low and not many pieces might get auctioned. You could always try it and see, but the less formality and rules, the better. Keep it simple!

#1059 1 year ago

Maybe a silent auction with reserve pricing? Drop bids into an envelope by the machine?

#1060 1 year ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

Awesome time had, went both days. Didn't buy any games but came close to getting my first EM. Bought a lot of parts and met Pinballmuggle and bought his pinball sign. My favorites were the Baywatch, The Haunted House, Expo EM, Whirlwind. I actually like the old pitch and bat that Ivan brought, that was pretty fun to play. Got to play a lot of firsts for me. Always is a great experience.

Cheap Expo in CT Craigslist.

nwct.craigslist.org link

I eyeballed it a time or two but doesn't look like a title that would interest me and I have other projects to keep me busy.

#1061 1 year ago
    Quoted from rmarket:

Just few comments
    One thing about the crazy priced games. It is frequently done to stop people from asking how much for the game. Putting not for sale on the games seems to encourage people to make offers and try to talk you out of the game. (I lost count on how many people tried to buy Fathom from me this weekend) Oddly enough when you put a stupid price on a game, people leave you alone.
    Classic arcades was registered but didn't show up. I have no idea why.
    The outdoor flea market is still offered. Take a look at the registration form if you have any doubts. But when given the choice between indoor and outdoor, the vendors pick indoor. With how often it rains on the weekend of the show, it is no surprise. The flea markets have changed, the stashes of project games sitting in operators warehouses are all but gone. Ebay and the high value of the games has done that and there is no going back to the flea markets of yesterday.
    As to stopping people from removing games early, you try to deter them with fees, but when people just spent a few thousand on a game, what amount is going to make a difference?

Loved your Fathom, it played perfectly just like I remember from my college days back in Richmond VA... thanks so much for bringing it to the show!!!

#1062 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Cheap Expo in CT Craigslist.
    nwct.craigslist.org link
    I eyeballed it a time or two but doesn't look like a title that would interest me and I have other projects to keep me busy.

I can find myself really getting into EM's. I actually feel like when I play them compared to something more modern it almost seems like player inputs make more of a difference then on a solid state. If that makes any sense. Maybe it's just I suck at pinball and EM's give me more time to think and have a chance to nudge the machine the right way before the ball drains.

Expo was cool because it had all these gates you could activate by hitting roll overs. It had a ball save down at the bottom I think too. I definitly want to add an EM to the collection sometime in the near future but would love to get something completely working. That way I can learn about EM repairs as issues pop up instead of buying a dead machine and trying to figure everything out at once.

#1063 1 year ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

I can find myself really getting into EM's. I actually feel like when I play them compared to something more modern it almost seems like player inputs make more of a difference then on a solid state. If that makes any sense. Maybe it's just I suck at pinball and EM's give me more time to think and have a chance to nudge the machine the right way before the ball drains.
    Expo was cool because it had all these gates you could activate by hitting roll overs. It had a ball save down at the bottom I think too. I definitly want to add an EM to the collection sometime in the near future but would love to get something completely working. That way I can learn about EM repairs as issues pop up instead of buying a dead machine and trying to figure everything out at once.

60's small flipper pins make you up your game skills in a big way. We still have 10 EM and love them all, great players and the sound of a nice set of bells or chimes is hard to beat. Strikes and Spares is an awesome sounding early SS equipped with a four bar chime box.

Here is our latest EM, Magic Town with a 2 bell & single chime setup.

Hearts and Spades I just finished refurbishing.

EM's are not hard! Most of the time a good cleaning and be on the lookout for bad solder joints is all you need to get them up and running again and there is a lot of good people here to help out.

051c3c1b588def3cbca9dfd2d98b3827eb3d79e9 (resized).jpg
    #1064 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

60's small flipper pins make you up your game skills in a big way. We still have 10 EM and love them all, great players and the sound of a nice set of bells or chimes is hard to beat. Strikes and Spares is an awesome sounding early SS equipped with a four bar chime box.
    Here is our latest EM, Magic Town with a 2 bell & single chime setup.

Hearts and Spades I just finished refurbishing.

EM's are not hard! Most of the time a good cleaning and be on the lookout for bad solder joints is all you need to get them up and running again and there is a lot of good people here to help out.[quoted image]

Awesome collection. Night Rider was one Em I almost picked up but it was not working and was disassembled so I was a little leary about it.

#1065 1 year ago

Forgot to mention the Mata Hari. This was an awesome game as well. Completely restored. You could still smell the fresh paint on it. It was beautiful

20191012_115301 (resized).jpg20191012_115304 (resized).jpg
    #1066 1 year ago

Completely restored -> flippers not aligned

Saw the same thing on that nice Wizard

#1067 1 year ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

Awesome collection. Night Rider was one Em I almost picked up but it was not working and was disassembled so I was a little leary about it.

Deceptively simple looking layout, great gameplay with the chimes and reels banging away for audio feedback.

#1068 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Was that Universal 5-Star for sale? I'd love one of those one day.

It was not, but I agree. It is a lot of fun in a unique, small package. Interesting game. Thanks to dennisdodel for putting that in free play for Thursday and Friday!

#1069 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Sheesh, c'mon! Don scrambled to get that beauty ready to share with us literally to the last hour before leaving for the show. I know I usually need several days to proof play a game, and get everything as perfect as possible. He didn't have that luxury, but chose to bring it anyway, and I'm glad he did.

#1070 1 year ago

I had a great time- thanks to all of the organizers. My only suggestion would be to intersperse the em and ss games more. The em row was easy to navigate, and at times the row that was mostly as games was nearly impassible.

It’s a long ride for us, but it’s worth it.

#1071 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Probably happened after being played a million times while there. You can tell it was freshly done, like I said you could still smell the fresh paint. Probably got it done a day before and forgot to tighten one of the flippers all the way. It was an amazing game, the sides were freshly done too. Thanks to whoever brought it for bringing this.

20191012_115312 (resized).jpg
    #1072 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Sheesh, c'mon! Don scrambled to get that beauty ready to share with us literally to the last hour before leaving for the show. I know I usually need several days to proof play a game, and get everything as perfect as possible. He didn't have that luxury, but chose to bring it anyway, and I'm glad he did.

Not trying to knock the game or its cosmetic condition (the game looks beautiful and I always appreciate seeing rare games), but there is nothing about needing to play test a game to find that. If you rebuilt the flippers, you put them in, and you align them when you do that. Of all the things to leave to last minute, flippers should be top priority. This is probably the fifth 'restored' game I've seen at a show this year alone where the flippers weren't even on right. I didn't get a chance to play this one but in previous cases the mechs had clearly never been rebuilt. If it came loose then that's just bad luck, but I've seen this way too often

#1073 1 year ago

Did anyone else get a huge kick out of playing that wide body atari pin? I forget the name of it. The game was huge and was different and quirky but it was a fun game. Made me feel like a midget playing it. Pretty sure it is wider then most bally williams widebodies?

#1074 1 year ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

Did anyone else get a huge kick out of playing that wide body atari pin? I forget the name of it. The game was huge and was different and quirky but it was a fun game. Made me feel like a midget playing it. Pretty sure it is wider then most bally williams widebodies?

Atari's tend to be like 1 inch wider than bally/williams ones (not super pin, the early 80s ones). Unless you mean hercules but I didn't think that was there

#1075 1 year ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

I think it was Middle Earth, it was next to Haunted House. Didn't get a chance to play it before leaving.

#1076 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Atari's tend to be like 1 inch wider than bally/williams ones (not super pin, the early 80s ones). Unless you mean hercules but I didn't think that was there

No it wasn't a hercules. It was a middle earth. Maybe I am not used to wide bodies that much but I played the haunted house and twilight zone and that atari game just felt so much bigger for some reason.

#1077 1 year ago

Starship Fantasy had a nice repro Space Shuttle toy that was much more robust than the original. I didn't bite because it was $51 plus a 9% surcharge but I keep thinking about how nice it would look on my Space Shuttle. Argh! I guess I'll prob end up buying it on their website.

#1078 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Not trying to knock the game or its cosmetic condition (the game looks beautiful and I always appreciate seeing rare games), but there is nothing about needing to play test a game to find that. If you rebuilt the flippers, you put them in, and you align them when you do that. Of all the things to leave to last minute, flippers should be top priority. This is probably the fifth 'restored' game I've seen at a show this year alone where the flippers weren't even on right. I didn't get a chance to play this one but in previous cases the mechs had clearly never been rebuilt. If it came loose then that's just bad luck, but I've seen this way too often

dd (resized).jpg
    #1079 1 year ago
    Quoted from enjoyvelvet:

Starship Fantasy had a nice repro Space Shuttle toy that was much more robust than the original. I didn't bite because it was $51 plus a 9% surcharge but I keep thinking about how nice it would look on my Space Shuttle. Argh! I guess I'll prob end up buying it on their website.

Almost bought that one myself but spent my limit before seeing it. I’ll probably get one later.

#1080 1 year ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

No it wasn't a hercules. It was a middle earth. Maybe I am not used to wide bodies that much but I played the haunted house and twilight zone and that atari game just felt so much bigger for some reason.

Middle Earth is bigger then the later year Williams/Bally wide body pins like TZ DM IJ and bigger then the classic Gottlieb wide body. However it’s the same size as early Williams and classic Bally wide body games like Scorpion, Space Invaders, Parogon and others.

#1081 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

That issue was fixed immediately at the show.

#1082 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

You are making an incorrect assumption that the flippers came to the show this way... wrong!!! Those flips were aligned perfectly prior to the 800th or so game that was played prior to this set of photos being taken... when I saw that the flipper pawl was loose, the flip was aligned and pawl tightened immediately. if you saw the inside of this game you would know immediately that the flipper mechs, (along with every other mech) were indeed rebuilt to spec, every last one of them.

#1083 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dono:

You are making an incorrect assumption that the flippers came to the show this way... wrong!!! Those flips were aligned perfectly prior to the 800th or so game that was played prior to this set of photos being taken... when I saw that the flipper pawl was loose, the flip was aligned and pawl tightened immediately. if you saw the inside of this game you would know immediately that the flipper mechs, (along with every other mech) were indeed rebuilt to spec, every last one of them.

Mic drop.
    Winner: Don O!

#1084 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dono:

5 or 6 of the 800+ plays were mine Don. You did an amazing job. Thanks for the late nights before the show to get her done. Oh, and the flippers were perfectly aligned when I played her.

#1085 1 year ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

Its got a 2200 price tag on it.

Seller was a super nice guy. Helped me load it in my van and spent about an hour talking about the good old days. I was pretty happy with the price considering its a DMD game and was 100% working. I was watching it all day and I never saw it go down in flames like a lot of the other machines that day. I bought it for 2000. That's just the reality of prices today.

#1086 1 year ago

Hey everyone, stop letting everyone know how great EMs are or the prices will go up!

#1087 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dono:

WOW! You spend well over a hundred hours on a restoration, rush to complete it the night prior to the show and get this?

We all appreciate your hard work and enjoyed playing the game and got to experience the em variety.

#1088 1 year ago
    Quoted from skater:

You have to go with the sports announcer voice next year!
    But, yeah, I struggle understanding the announcements, too (not just you - mainly I listen in case you’re paging me). When Cointaker had their laser, I said we should use it to project info on the wall or ceiling somewhere (but that was also in Horticulture, which is much smaller).

Chris totally has a voice for radio. He makes Casey kasem sound like bobcat goldthwait

#1089 1 year ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

Chris totally has a voice for radio. He makes Casey kasem sound like bobcat goldthwait

The voice of the man behind the curtain was epic. I stopped and listened just because he killed it.

#1090 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dono:

Those flips were aligned perfectly prior to the 800th or so game that was played prior to this set of photos being taken...

Yeah they were perfect. As I said I won a couple specials on ball #1 and got an atta boy from the guy waiting behind me. (Had the SS version for 6 years before selling it). PERFECT. Thanks for the opportunity to play it.

#1091 1 year ago

Also was that a hardtop on that Mata Hari?

#1092 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Nope, that was my first question.

The one thing I didn't like about that machine is it made my Black Jack 2 machines down look like crap.

#1093 1 year ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

Nope, that was my first question.
    The one thing I didn't like about that machine is it made my Black Jack 2 machines down look like crap.

Total WOW then. I didn't have time or side space to inspect the top of the shooter lane with people waiting behind me to inspect it properly. That PF was glass smooth and I had multiple hard playfield glass hits from hard shots that just ripped! Oh yeah, those flippers sucked

#1094 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Right-o, most asked question at the show...

Purchased at an A-town show many moons ago from Gene Cunningham of Illinois Pinball.

As told by Gene, it's a donor that was used by CPR to test their silk screen/inking process for the upcoming Mata Hari repro PFs they were gearing up for. It was stripped, sanded down flat, re-screened and clearcoated by CPR and given back to the donor. I didn't have a game to use it on at the time, but knew down the road I'd end up doing a MH game... as luck would have it I was able to use it on the EM version. The only difference in the EM and SS versions were the screw holes needed for the female jones plug up front, and a slightly different wiring layout required additional screw holes as well. All mechs, plastic posts, metal guide holes both topside and underside were exact to the original EM PF, so the swap was relatively smooth and trouble free.

#1095 1 year ago

Just to be clear, not a hard top!

#1096 1 year ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

The voice of the man behind the curtain was epic. I stopped and listened just because he killed it.

*bows* Thank you kindly. I can be available for weddings, mitzvahs of any sort, sporting events and telling you to look out your window when we're flying at 32K feet.

#1097 1 year ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Hey everyone, stop letting everyone know how great EMs are or the prices will go up!

Sorry, your right lol.... Those stupid EM's, they are so slow and boring to play, they don't have any DMD screen with cool animations. They make those damn chime sounds, sounds like a door bell going off. They are almost impossible to work on, you need to have extreme knowledge of electromechanics to even play one let alone even try and work on one. There was atleast 15 guys that got electrocuted working on them and are dead now. These machines should be free for how boring they are and impossible to work on. Can't believe there is people that pay what they pay for them as it is.

#1098 1 year ago

Anyone know if that Fast Draw sold? That was my very first pin and I’d love to put it back in my collection one day. Price was fair at $650 but I had to use restraint because I wasn’t looking to buy anything that day. I even resisted the $20 1978 Atari jackets that Mayfair had! Did anyone see those? The large was just a bit too short for me

#1099 1 year ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

He really should go pro if he isn't already. He could get the gig at any sports arena. What pipes!

#1100 1 year ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

On the topic of awards - Don's machine was over-the-top amazing and certainly deserved to win best in show. Congratulations, Don!

What game was this?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Guns N' Roses (LE) Out of stock
    The Pinball Place
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 47.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    MicksPinball
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 18.95
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 40.00
    Various Other Swag
    JK Pinball
    $ 45.00
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 259.99
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 265.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 7,500.00
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 224.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    There are 1114 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 23.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside