Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,114 posts
  • 215 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Skidave
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

32BC883C-2769-4EE2-AEB2-AB7C6685F128 (resized).jpeg
    B50F030E-9089-44B4-8A83-EBFFAFB49761 (resized).jpeg
    20191015_212245 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4794 (resized).JPG
    dd (resized).jpg
    20191012_115312 (resized).jpg
    20191012_115301 (resized).jpg
    20191012_115304 (resized).jpg
    051c3c1b588def3cbca9dfd2d98b3827eb3d79e9 (resized).jpg
    20191013_161650 (resized).jpg
    20191013_182346 (resized).jpg
    pinshakers (resized).jpg
    20191013_005026 (resized).jpg
    7D50AEBD-B1F9-4B0D-8B1C-BEE26D87CA23 (resized).jpeg
    6B31A14B-E8BB-4EE8-8755-E021419B1F97 (resized).jpeg
    997BC9D8-EB37-4E49-8D33-81B37B60650C (resized).jpeg

There are 1,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 23.
    #1001 4 years ago

Just few comments
    One thing about the crazy priced games. It is frequently done to stop people from asking how much for the game. Putting not for sale on the games seems to encourage people to make offers and try to talk you out of the game. (I lost count on how many people tried to buy Fathom from me this weekend) Oddly enough when you put a stupid price on a game, people leave you alone.

Classic arcades was registered but didn't show up. I have no idea why.

The outdoor flea market is still offered. Take a look at the registration form if you have any doubts. But when given the choice between indoor and outdoor, the vendors pick indoor. With how often it rains on the weekend of the show, it is no surprise. The flea markets have changed, the stashes of project games sitting in operators warehouses are all but gone. Ebay and the high value of the games has done that and there is no going back to the flea markets of yesterday.

As to stopping people from removing games early, you try to deter them with fees, but when people just spent a few thousand on a game, what amount is going to make a difference?

#1002 4 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

If the person that brought the baywatch is on here, thanks for bringing it. It is a beautiful game and played awesome. Thanks again for bringing your baby to the show. It really was in awesome shape.

thanks so much man! And thanks so much to everyone that gave me great compliments on Baywatch. I went overboard on her and at times felt foolish for the time and money spent. But it sure did pay off this weekend seeing the never-ending line to play and all the smiles, laughs and nice things said about her. If she’s not the nicest Baywatch in the world, she is the most expensive for sure, ha.

Bob Butch2099 thank you so much for getting the ColorDMD for me in time for the show, it IS the icing on the cake for all the hard work and money I’ve put into Baywatch! Thanks again! Ironically because of the love Baywatch received I still haven’t gotten to play a game yet with the DMD installed, ha.

I have to thank Chad djreddog for all of his help this weekend. I it weren’t for Chad I would have never been at this show in the first place! What he does for this hobby is invaluable and I hope to follow his footsteps to help this hobby grow as much as he as helped me grow and learn in this hobby. Though, a little mad you talked me out of that OXO lmao

Also have to thank Cam Camvr2013 for selling me the sweet Close Encounters game! It played like a champ through the Tournament Finals. But again, I still haven’t gotten to play a full game yet but in a few beers I will be flipping away at that roto-wheel, thanks again!

Highlight of the show, being my first, was that my first and second pinball ever we’re featured in the Tournament Final! So cool and such an honor. But again the people were awesome and got to play a lot of the classics I haven’t to play in my young pinball career!

Thank you to Rich and everyone that attended, can’t wait to see you all next year!

Chad

#1004 4 years ago
    Quoted from twoplays25c:

tavio:
    Many thanks for the info, you brought a great looking and highly challenging game - again the 3 of us Thank You for bringing it out to the show!

Thanks a lot this was the first time i brought machines and got a lot of flack about prices so I really appreciate positive feedback. F14 and Earthshaker aren't on my keeper list so anyone who played at the show... Btw f14 needed only cardstock cleaning of VUK switch and because of the NOVUS 2 earthshaker only needed wiped down. If any pinsiders played my machines and liked them get a hold of me and if you didn't... Ce la vie

20191013_005026 (resized).jpg20191013_005026 (resized).jpg
    #1005 4 years ago
    Quoted from stavio:

Thanks a lot this was the first time i brought machines and got a lot of flack about prices so I really appreciate positive feedback. F14 and Earthshaker aren't on my keeper list so anyone who played at the show... Btw f14 needed only cardstock cleaning of VUK switch and because of the NOVUS 2 earthshaker only needed wiped down. If any pinsiders played my machines and liked them get a hold of me and if you didn't... Ce la vie[quoted image]

If you like scratch remover you should check out wax sometime... It'll blow your mind.

#1006 4 years ago

One thing I was very happy to see yesterday is people hung in their later. Normally people start packing up crazy early on Saturday but most people waited until way after 4 PM before they started packing. And even at 5 PM there were still plenty of machines still in freeplay and most of the vendors in the flea market area were just starting to pack.

A suggestion I have that would help the show and also might be something a lot of you guys have not thought about is for 5 or 10 people who are "pinball friends" to consider renting a flea market space and using it as a place to hang out as well as sell a few parts or machines. Bring a couple tables & 3 or 4 chairs - take turns watching the space - and if each of you has a hand full of stuff sitting around you don't want and sell some of it that helps the show as well as helping you clear out unwanted (or unneeded stuff). The West Virginia guys have been doing it for years if a few more groups of people would do stuff like that we could get the hall filled up for sure. Plus there would be more stuff for sale at the show.

If you looked around over the weekend think about how little it would actually take to max that hall out. Imagine how nice 25 or 30 more machines would have made freeplay or how 10 or 12 more flea market spaces would have made such a difference back in that flea market area. Filling that hall wouldn't take a lot just a handful of people stepping up and doing a little more. Once the hall is full for the first time I think it would stay full in the future it is just a matter of getting it filled up for that first time that seems to be a hurdle that has not happened. I don't know for sure & I didn't think to ask Rich but it did look a little more full than last year. Time will tell but I think enough people stepped up to keep the show in the bigger hall and I am hoping that is the case.

#1007 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

One thing I was very happy to see yesterday is people hung in their later. Normally people start packing up crazy early on Saturday but most people waited until way after 4 PM before they started packing. And even at 5 PM there were still plenty of machines still in freeplay and most of the vendors in the flea market area were just starting to pack.

I noticed that also and really appreciate that people are following the rule. For the show to survive we need the public attendance and paying admission to watch people tearing down games that they wanted to play is a really good way to upset people. Unlike years past, we didn't have a single complaint from anyone about the games being torn down early. We did have a few games on the floor that got turned off for various issues but the aisles were too crowded to move them back to the hospital area. There was still one or two that got sold and turned off. We need to improve on preventing that from happening.

Thank you to everyone that participated in the show. We had a great show and turnout.

#1008 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Thanks to Rich and crew for putting on another great show. My wife and I have come from the Detroit area four years in a row and it’s still our favorite show. I brought and sold a Team One and came back with a Rawhide. And, thanks to Mayfair, I also have an original parts catalog and a replacement standing target for it. The personality of the show with its “home feel” is great. The show is still well worth the drive!

Hey if the owner wants a better backglass i have one or 2 available. Glad you found a new home or it.

Ken

#1009 4 years ago

Finally made it home and settled from a fantastic show! It was so fun to get out and to meet everyone, and that is what makes this worth while to us.

This was our first show so we do have a few lessons learned...

1. Bring more shaker kits! So sorry to anyone that wanted a kit after we ran out. Lermods will be fulfilling all of the additional orders we received. Also, next time we will do a better job to have the kits pre-built so you won't have to wait while we build one there at the booth.

2. Don't bring a ladder with us! (Inside joke that a few of you will get a laugh from)

3. Purchase an additional space to set up a lego set so that you can drop off your young ones while you go around and play pinball! Brad your boys are adorable, it was so fun having them hang out with us! We miss that age as ours are now teenagers.

Overall we had such a great time, and can't wait until next year. Thank you to everyone who purchased a kit, or even just came out to chat with us about them. Thank you to arcademojo for letting us install a kit into your Space Shuttle. That was a lot of fun and so glad it was able to work. Thank you to Butch2099 for the ColorDMD and doughnuts! And finally a huge thank you to Rich Marquette and the White Rose show staff. All of your hard work and dedication were truly beyond reproach.

Best Regards,

Robert & Colleen Goebel
    Pinshakers
    www.pinshakers.com
    pinshakers (resized).jpgpinshakers (resized).jpg

#1010 4 years ago
    Quoted from robgo777:

Finally made it home and settled from a fantastic show! It was so fun to get out and to meet everyone, and that is what makes this worth while to us.
    1. Bring more shaker kits! So sorry to anyone that wanted a kit after we ran out. Lermods will be fulfilling all of the additional orders we received. Also, next time we will do a better job to have the kits pre-built so you won't have to wait while we build one there at the booth.
    2. Don't bring a ladder with us! (Inside joke that a few of you will get a laugh from)
    3. Purchase an additional space to set up a lego set so that you can drop off your young ones while you go around and play pinball! Brad your boys are adorable, it was so fun having them hang out with us! We miss that age as ours are now teenagers.
    Overall we had such a great time, and can't wait until next year. Thank you to everyone who purchased a kit, or even just came out to chat with us about them. Thank you to @arcademojo for letting us install a kit into your Space Shuttle. That was a lot of fun and so glad it was able to work. Thank you to @butch2099 for the ColorDMD and doughnuts! And finally a huge thank you to Rich Marquette and the White Rose show staff. All of your hard work and dedication were truly beyond reproach.
    Best Regards,
    Robert & Colleen Goebel
    Pinshakers
    www.pinshakers.com[quoted image]

#1011 4 years ago
    Quoted from robgo777:

Overall we had such a great time, and can't wait until next year. Thank you to everyone who purchased a kit, or even just came out to chat with us about them. Thank you to arcademojo for letting us install a kit into your Space Shuttle. That was a lot of fun and so glad it was able to work. Thank you to butch2099 for the ColorDMD and doughnuts! And finally a huge thank you to Rich Marquette and the White Rose show staff. All of your hard work and dedication were truly beyond reproach.
    Best Regards,
    Robert & Colleen Goebel
    Pinshakers
    www.pinshakers.com
    [quoted image]

Every show I attend, I look for something I’ve never seen before. By far the coolest thing I got to experience this year was the Space Shuttle with a PinShaker in it! Y’all knocked it out of the park!

#1012 4 years ago

Great show as always, appreciate all the work that goes in to it. I was trying to remember the first year I went, I think it was 1999. I like the idea of us getting a booth - maybe bring more folding chairs, do something fun. I'll fund one space for sure next year.

#1013 4 years ago

Was at the show Friday and had a great time. Thanks to whoever brought 'Dolphin'. I haven't played that game before and the three captive ball targets were mocking me.

That's what's great about this show - seems like no matter how long you've been playing you always stumble upon a game you haven't seen before, while also getting another chance to play old favorites. I also like seeing games I have, just to see how they play in comparison to mine.

All in all, another great show. Thanks Rich.

#1014 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

I thoroughly enjoyed York, Rich provided the env. and the folks brought out a very nice assortment of em's, more then we see at tpf. Had a great time catching up with the gang and and meeting more of the east coast pinball mafia. My big score of the show besides the great tshirts was two sets of maple pf sticks for upcoming swaps. thanks pinbee you make the hobby special! And a 10 cent part that i could have used a month a go for my ek em project. dono hope your MH em wins best of show. (just fix that plunger spring )
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Nice meeting you Ken, hope you made it back to TX safely. Will do on the spring!

#1015 4 years ago
    Quoted from rmarket:

As to stopping people from removing games early, you try to deter them with fees, but when people just spent a few thousand on a game, what amount is going to make a difference?

$35 refundable fee if game stays till end of show.
    $100 early removal fee!

#1016 4 years ago
    Quoted from cyroute:

Here is my list of pins with prices as sold or not sold. I didnt make much on these games as a whole but sometimes its not always about the money but the love of the hobby qnd getting more games into peoples hands.
    Nice Strikes and Spares = 1k
    King Pin Worked All Weekend = 425
    Spin Out Worked All Weekend = 350
    Project King Rock = 300
    Very Nice Jet Spin 750 did not sell

That is a steal on Spin out.

#1017 4 years ago
    Quoted from ckcsm:

Ken, Nice meeting you & playing some of the EM's together; especially Don's Mata Hari!
    Don =- that game should win for best EM, great job!

It did! I do have a few things to work out, nothing major... I think it held out well at the show, except for the breakdown right before the EM tournament (took an hour to get it up and running again), ughhhh!!!

#1018 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

What a nice show. It’s been a few years since I’ve attended but really enjoyed the selection of wedgeheads, woodrails, and early mechanicals. Thanks to everyone who took the time to bring a game for us to enjoy. Here are a few pictures:
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Would KILL to own that Keeney Thriller. Incredible. Any one know if it sold or who owns it?

#1019 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Hey if the owner wants a better backglass i have one or 2 available. Glad you found a new home or it.
    Ken

Thanks. I know the new owner of the Team One is interested in a backglass. Hopefully he or his friend is a pinsider and will see this. I apologize for not getting you two together at the show.

#1020 4 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

$35 refundable fee if game stays till end of show.
    $100 early removal fee!

My concern is that people who are volunteering to bring their games for attendees to play, which makes the show work, will be deterred from even bringing them if you charge a fee (even if refundable) just to bring them.

#1021 4 years ago

I never go to a show expecting humongous deals on DMD's and newer games. I was shocked though that the nice playing 2001 on the freeplay floor didn't sell for $700 on Friday (6-7 years ago that would have been snapped up instantly) and actually was reduced to $600 on Saturday, and still didn't sell (at least by 4:30 or so). If I hadn't already gotten a great deal on another EM I wouldv'e bought that one as well.... but I went to the show with 4 people in an SUV and I can't believe we shoehorned a Bally 2 player into a Toyota Highlander AND 4 people. Thankfully the back most seat is a split seat as well as the 2nd row or there'd have been a real problem.

I hadn't intended on buying ANY machines, but there were easily 10-15 EMs and early SS I would have bought had I the space to haul them away. Since I'm -4 on space to set up pins at home though, I'm going to have to think what's going to get moved around again to try and get more set up. I wonder if a wedgehead will fit in the bathroom?

#1022 4 years ago

A working, nice playing 2001 with good backglass and playfield didn't sell for $600??!! What is the world coming to? IT IS THE BEST WEDGEHEAD AFTER ALL... dang.

Must have been the incorrectly repainted & dinged cabinet. Big turnoff for most.

#1023 4 years ago

The left flipper button was getting stuck in the cabinet a lot, but that should be an easy fix. You don't play the cabinet so that's the least of my worries.

I guess people today new to the hobby haven't rediscovered the old stuff yet. I'm happy to introduce a group of 25-ish year olds to the old stuff, they like the new stuff but it seems like the older stuff with the simpler objectives that you don't have to wade through a rulebook to play are very appealing. The games most liked at the parties were Meteor, Stars, 4 square, and Time Warp.

Although they all like AFM as well, as far as new games go, but the extent of the rules picked up were "hit the center gate and blow up the saucer".

#1024 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

A working, nice playing 2001 with good backglass and playfield didn't sell for $600??!! What is the world coming to? IT IS THE BEST WEDGEHEAD AFTER ALL... dang.
    Must have been the incorrectly repainted & dinged cabinet. Big turnoff for most.

One of my favorites...I didn’t have room. The one and only space I had for a machine was full. Uhaul trailer next time

#1025 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

My concern is that people who are volunteering to bring their games for attendees to play, which makes the show work, will be deterred from even bringing them if you charge a fee (even if refundable) just to bring them.

Have a non for sale and a for sale section
    Green tag the for sale games with owners name and #
    red tag non for sale free play with code # info for show staff informational purposes staff will have list with owners info. No charging deposit on free play non for sale games.

#1026 4 years ago
    Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Would KILL to own that Keeney Thriller. Incredible. Any one know if it sold or who owns it?

It was not for sale, but was absolutely beautiful. The only negative was that the plunger spring was very stiff and it was all I could do to get a ball up the shooter lane.

#1027 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Going into the show I had set up a deal for a project 2001 sample. Sadly with only space for 1 machine in my car I wasn't able to bring a machine for free play this year. I had owned a 2001 years ago, but traded it. I like the artwork and gameplay and with space opening up it was time to add one back to the collection. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the best wedgehead, but it's a strong player. Ironically enough the 2001 that was in the free play area was the same 2001 I traded years ago! The playfield on this particular machine was decent, but the kickout hole wear was touched up by someone. The backglass was the nicest part of the machine from when I had it. Minor paint loss here and there but very nice overall. When I bought the machine it had the same homemade paint design. That's how I was able recognize it so easily. For $600 I hope that someone bought it and can repaint it back to original artwork. I will post pictures of the sample 2001 in the EM thread after I fix it up.

#1028 4 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

Have a non for sale and a for sale section
    Green tag the for sale games with owners name and #
    red tag non for sale free play with code # info for show staff informational purposes staff will have list with owners info. No charging deposit on free play non for sale games.

Bottom line is regardless of what shows do some machines will be removed early, some machines will have "crazy" prices on them, etc. Again it isn't really up to the promoter to try and fix all of these issues it is the pinball community that controls all of this stuff. The promoters job is to provide a safe & clean venue that is well advertised. Pretty much everything else is up to the pinball community.

As far as "overpriced machines" it is pretty simple - if you don't like the price make an offer or walk away. As far as machines leaving early if more people brought machines this wouldn't be an issue. One thought might be two different set up areas - one where machines CAN NOT BE REMOVED FOR ANY REASON and the other area where machines can be removed early by paying a fee for early removal. Put the "early removal area" near the door so it disrupts things as little as possible.

Another issue is broken machines - this happens but a big tag taped on the playfield glass would at least let people know why a machine was turned off. Stuff breaks and even in a perfect world everything will not be perfect.

Rich & the crew did a great job as always! Thanks to everyone who stepped up and brought machines for freeplay or rented a vendor space. The show keeps growing but still has that "special feel" so I think all is going well with York. Now it is time to start getting ready for Allentown next Spring. Sadly I will not be able to attend but I already know it will be another great show. I am going to miss that farmers market food!

#1029 4 years ago

Getting and keeping more exhibitor games on the floor is more than a matter of levying a fine. The key is tilting the entire vibe of the show from "swap meet" to "social experience". This requires food trucks, zones to hang out and chat, competitions, cash prizes, awards for different "best of" categories, streaming video interviews of the owners/restorers, and so forth.

People bring games (particularly their best games) to be part of something worthy. That "worthiness" is the sum total of all experiences presented. Thus, if buying and selling is the only "main thing", then the show will always feel like testing games on an auction floor and not much else. Sold! Gone. Sold! Gone. Gee it isn't even Saturday yet... where'd my game go?

I like Allentown and York, but it's mostly "all business" versus shows like NWPAS, ReplayFX, Houston Arcade Expo, TPF, and GOG. Not coincidentally, these shows are anchored to hotel convention centers rather than warehouse buildings.... which really sets the scene. Hotels are for people, warehouses for things.

Still, I think York and Allentown could make some positive changes without necessarily having to relocate. Will just require some extra creativity.

Anyway, blah blah. See ya at TPF and Allentown as usual... might do York next year.

#1030 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

It was not for sale, but was absolutely beautiful. The only negative was that the plunger spring was very stiff and it was all I could do to get a ball up the shooter lane.

Incredible you got to play a '39 Thriller. At the top of my "wish" list! Thanks for the info!

#1031 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm kinda scratching my head on that one. Maybe its the attitude going in the counts. Spent $30 at the door, $100 in tolls, at least that in gas for the truck, food, etc. Purchased $45 worth of stuff from vendors. Could I have saved money on the stuff mail order and saved myself from brutal traffic?
    Absolutely.
    Out of it I have three new friends, been to a fun show I had not experienced yet and support in a small way, got my son out of the rut he has been stuck in for a day or two, played a few titles I didn't play before, swapped pins with a pinsider and was able to skip work making it a 3 day weekend.
    On balance I'd say it was a decent deal, look forward to doing it again next year.[quoted image]

$100 in tolls and brutal traffic? You must have taken I-95 all the way and the NJ turnpike. I can get to your house and not pay any tolls, and the tolls I paid round trip for the show were a grand total of $2.50.
    I was very fortunate that the travel both ways was very smooth and uneventful. Light traffic both ways and it took the usual four hours each way.

#1032 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Getting and keeping more exhibitor games on the floor is more than a matter of levying a fine. The key is tilting the entire vibe of the show from "swap meet" to "social experience". This requires food trucks, zones to hang out and chat, competitions, cash prizes, awards for different "best of" categories, streaming video interviews of the owners/restorers, and so forth.

Well, the York show has competitions, cash prizes, best of and many other offerings beside just the games. As to food trucks idea, the Fairground has exclusive contracts with their food vendor and no other food vendors are permitted. There are a lot of benefits that you are are overlooking with having the show at the Fairgrounds. Free Parking, Power, Hall sizes, occupancy numbers, and many others.

#1033 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

$100 in tolls and brutal traffic? You must have taken I-95 all the way and the NJ turnpike. I can get to your house and not pay any tolls, and the tolls I paid round trip for the show were a grand total of $2.50.
    I was very fortunate that the travel both ways was very smooth and uneventful. Light traffic both ways and it took the usual four hours each way.

Yup, I had to take the speediest route since I had to round trip it in a day. We left at 4:30 AM and pulled back in the driveway at 8:15 PM

The way down was easy-peasy, the way back was actually fine till we got off the GW bridge and it was downhill rapidly from there. If I had more time would have taken a more leisurely route. Considered bypassing the city but that wasn't where the worse traffic was. Could have taken 287 to 84 but 84 is notorious for its traffic that time of day.

#1034 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

People bring games (particularly their best games) to be part of something worthy. That "worthiness" is the sum total of all experiences presented. Thus, if buying and selling is the only "main thing", then the show will always feel like testing games on an auction floor and not much else. Sold! Gone. Sold! Gone. Gee it isn't even Saturday yet... where'd my game go?
    I like Allentown and York, but it's mostly "all business" versus shows like NWPAS, ReplayFX, Houston Arcade Expo, TPF, and GOG. Not coincidentally, these shows are anchored to hotel convention centers rather than warehouse buildings.... which really sets the scene. Hotels are for people, warehouses for things.
    Still, I think York and Allentown could make some positive changes without necessarily having to relocate. Will just require some extra creativity.
    Anyway, blah blah. See ya at TPF and Allentown as usual... might do York next year.

I concur, there has to be an effective set of incentives to bringing games. Sure, a 'thank you' and 'nice game' comment, trophy, free entry are great, but at the end of the day, there has to be a more concerted effort to enhance the number and quality of games coming to shows, and a cash award for different 'BEST OF' winners would be a good place to start. At York for example, there were 5 random $100 awards for those bringing games. I think that's great, but those who bring top end games to shows and win "Best of" awards weren't offered cash awards... I think that's an oversight that needs to be corrected for next year.

#1035 4 years ago

I would love to see an auction. That might bring people in who want to sell games and create some Buzz. Pintastic did it a couple of years ago and I thought it was a success

#1036 4 years ago

rmarket
    Once again thought the show was everything I expected and had a good time. My only complaint is during the end drawing and awards. Myself and few others that bring games are hearing impaired. Plus many people are busy packing up, moving stuff out of the building and what not. It would be great if you would wright the names and games down that won on the board after being called. All the times I’ve been there I never know who won what.

#1037 4 years ago

The York Show was everything I expected. Sure, it was smaller than Allentown, but I got to do everything there I wanted to do. The show allowed me to:

1. Meet up with someone to do a pin exchange (GOT MY WHIRLWIND)
    2. Get to play lots of machines I wasn't super familiar with.
    3. Convince me I never want an EM (if thats your thing, it's cool).
    4. Provide me with cool wall hangers for my arcade.
    5. Meet some cool people.
    6. Learn that Demo Man is great for tall people.
    7. Look at LEDs and Tilt Graphics in person.

My favorite things at that show were the Earthshaker, Demo Man, Stern Jurassic Park, Swords Of Fury, Bay Watch and Sea Witch.

After getting to see a line of people to play my Whirlwind, I am going to do my best to support the Allentown Show and York Show with a pin or two next year.
    I just wish I hadn't cheaped out and had gotten the High Speed playfield as a wall hanger.

20191013_161650 (resized).jpg20191013_161650 (resized).jpg20191013_182346 (resized).jpg20191013_182346 (resized).jpg
    #1038 4 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I would love to see an auction. That might bring people in who want to sell games and create some Buzz. Pintastic did it a couple of years ago and I thought it was a success

I don't know if that would work at York because of all the rules at the fairground. I was talking to Rich about the 50/50 idea for charity yesterday and he said they couldn't do anything like that due to the fairgrounds rules. I know York Fairgrounds has some of the toughest restrictions of any rental place you will ever try to work with from past experiences renting their. But do to the shear size and layout of the place and selection of building sizes it is a great place to hold an event. That is why there is always a waiting list for some buildings on certain weekends. Yesterday there were 3 different events going on in three different areas of the fairground and I'll be 95% of the people who came to the show didn't even notice.

Each show has different "draws" and features. Rich likes the York Show to be a "family of guys & girls getting together for a big pinball party". Allentown is known as a great place to buy & sell and for the farmer market food, Pintastic has a ton of "special stuff" going on. Etc. etc. There is no need for a show to try and be like another show - each can be unique and still be great in their own way.

One thing that might work is if one of the Arcade Auction Companies had an auction at York the same weekend as the show but in a different building. If any of you guys happen to know anyone from those companies that might be something good for everyone? People coming to the show might attend the auction and people coming to the auction might attend to show? I know the fairgrounds has auctions all the time but I have never seen one as part of a show.

#1039 4 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I would love to see an auction. That might bring people in who want to sell games and create some Buzz.

I like that idea also, it could be a draw for the show.

#1040 4 years ago

I understand all too well. Last test I had 98DB loss in one ear and the other isn't a whole lot better. A lot of the times I was right next to the guy making the announcements and couldn't understand him. If I could come up with something that would help, I would be all over it. Sorry, I am right there with you on this one and I just don't have a solution.

Quoted from arcademojo:

rmarket
    Once again thought the show was everything I expected and had a good time. My only complaint is during the end drawing and awards. Myself and few others that bring games are hearing impaired. Plus many people are busy packing up, moving stuff out of the building and what not. It would be great if you would wright the names and games down that won on the board after being called. All the times I’ve been there I never know who won what.

#1041 4 years ago
    Quoted from rmarket:

I understand all too well. Last test I had 98DB loss in one ear and the other isn't a whole lot better. A lot of the times I was right next to the guy making the announcements and couldn't understand him. If I could come up with something that would help, I would be all over it. Sorry, I am right there with you on this one and I just don't have a solution.

YOU NEVER LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY!!! *runs off crying*

#1042 4 years ago

I've put a lot of thought into the auction idea over the years, and can't see it working from a logistics standpoint. The auction would need to be "free admission". What happens to the show if the public can go next door and play all day for free? What would be the incentive to go into the show? When would it happen? Being a two day show, it would have to either happen on what is a setup day for some or the day that everyone is going to be tearing down. How would that work with the traffic from the show? Maybe run it on Sunday after the show but the rent from the fairgrounds is too high to make the auction profitable. There is no multi day discount (or any other discount) when dealing with the fairgrounds.

Also it was already tried at the York show years back and it didn't really work out well. Some of the Maryland Auctions tried a hybrid show auction thing for a couple of events and I don't think it went over really well.

#1043 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

I think that's great, but those who bring top end games to shows and win "Best of" awards weren't offered cash awards... I think that's an oversight that needs to be corrected for next year.

I agree with this. Show attendees get to vote in some manner. Categories like best Bingo, Best EM, Best early SS, Best DMD pre 2000, best DMD post 2000. Cash prize to the winners.

The Mata Hari wins best EM this show.

#1044 4 years ago

Just got back home to Illinois tonight. I wanted to give a shout out to a few game owners. Obviously Don’s MH was a work of art. Awesome job. The Embryon was very nice and played great. Also the Aztec machine on the end was top notch and so strong. To the guy who said there was nothing there innovative.... did you see the two machines JT amusements brought?? The Whatchamacallits. Bally, Stern and Gottlieb all mixed together. Try wiring one of those up at home sometime. Very cool and played fantastic.

#1045 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Who owned Baby Pac-Man? My favorite game. I adore it!! It played fantastic and I’ve never seen one with Mylar on it, really kept it looking nice musta been applied by a thoughtful person back in the 80’s. Usually they’re beat! Only complaint is that Extra Baby wasn’t turned on that’s the big gimmick, the exciting rush of winning a free dang baby!
    Also I regret that I talked to most of you guys in the flea-market area and I was in such a rush and so stressed from driving since 4am that I forgot to put names to handles here on Pinside. I believe I talked to you, Skip if you were the guy in the center with tons of EM projects. My sister bought those bone finger flipper bat covers from a really nice guy. And the guy who was selling the City Slicker who sold ME the Torpedo Alley display, you’re a life saver! Can’t wait to get back to working on it.

Thank you! I'll check on that Extra Baby thing.. I thought it was on.

#1046 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballtec:

YOU NEVER LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY!!! *runs off crying*

You have to go with the sports announcer voice next year!

But, yeah, I struggle understanding the announcements, too (not just you - mainly I listen in case you’re paging me). When Cointaker had their laser, I said we should use it to project info on the wall or ceiling somewhere (but that was also in Horticulture, which is much smaller).

#1047 4 years ago
    Quoted from skater:

You have to go with the sports announcer voice next year!
    But, yeah, I struggle understanding the announcements, too .

The din of the show is difficult to overcome. It seems the brain has a funny way of tuning out all of it when there's a lot of it to help focus on something. It's partly why we spam a lot of our reoccurring messages, which, in a catch 22, seems to add to the problem. Maybe someday we can better use technology to text show features while people are at the show. We try to use social media, but it's so very difficult due to the lack of time and labor during the show.

#1048 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypalooza:

Also the Aztec machine on the end was top notch and so strong.

Yes, thank you to the Aztec owner for sharing it, it was the nicest one I’ve ever played.

#1049 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypalooza:

Just got back home to Illinois

Did you lock the front door, oh boy, and sing “Ooh, hoo, hoo, lookin’ out my back door”?

(I know your “home to” should be “from” for this to work precisely, but I couldn’t resist.)

#1050 4 years ago
    Quoted from rmarket:

I've put a lot of thought into the auction idea over the years, and can't see it working from a logistics standpoint. The auction would need to be "free admission". What happens to the show if the public can go next door and play all day for free? What would be the incentive to go into the show? When would it happen? Being a two day show, it would have to either happen on what is a setup day for some or the day that everyone is going to be tearing down. How would that work with the traffic from the show? Maybe run it on Sunday after the show but the rent from the fairgrounds is too high to make the auction profitable. There is no multi day discount (or any other discount) when dealing with the fairgrounds.
    Also it was already tried at the York show years back and it didn't really work out well. Some of the Maryland Auctions tried a hybrid show auction thing for a couple of events and I don't think it went over really well.

Its just ashame that so many deals happen around the event... and both you and pinside lose out on the action because the idea of 'connecting buyers and sellers' has moved completely to the self-service forum contact.

It's tough to find some materially significant incentive you could hold back from a free-play game owner to hold the game till the end of the day that wouldn't bankrupt you... or simply be draconian against the game owners that would just run them off. Need to find something people would desire... that isn't just '1 is enough' and doesn't crush you. No ideas from me yet.. just the problem is interesting to ponder. Without the show, this clustering of people wouldn't happen.. its just how to get it 'in the show' and not just surrounding it.

There are 1,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-rose-gameroom-york-show-2019-buy-sell-trade-no-hotel-amp-food/page/21?hl=decker1756 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.