norm.jpeg
20141120_194802.jpg
2014-11-16 11.51.11.jpg
Me-neither.jpg
1113141751a.jpg
1026142110.jpg
2014-11-15 20.44.15.jpg
2014-11-15 20.42.23.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from kangourou:

IMHO, I prefer original posts than blue/grey copies....
I put all my yellowed white posts or other plastic parts in HYDROGEN PEROXYDE.
One or two days after all my posts are WHITE !
The process, here (in French) :
http://retro-flip.xooit.fr/t3505-Comment-blanchir-ses-pieces-plastiques.htm

Thanks for sharing this technique. I was too lazy to do a french to english translation of the referenced thread.

So do you soak in undiluted 35% hydrogen peroxide or do you dilute it? If diluted, to what degree?

Also, how long do you leave them to get the results you showed for the pop bumper body. Do playfield posts respond as well as the pop bumper body?

#17 9 years ago

On the original versus reproduction playfield posts question I prefer to use originals. For the most part they have aged similarly to the rest of the game and look appropriate. And it's another $15 I don't have to spend on parts.

There are instances I have used repro, like where the posts have aged so much they are chalky, or where they have split (there was a run of posts around 1975 with games like Sure Shot, Royal Flush, etc. that the plastic didn't hold up as well structurally) where I have replaced all the posts.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from kosmo:

From what i read in the french article, he use the product as bought (35% undiluted) and leave the parts soaking two days IN THE SUNLIGHT (seems to accelerate the whitening of the parts).

Thanks for providing the interpretation.

The retrobright reference above utilizes UV light as part of the process. So leaving in sunlight would make sense.

2 weeks later
#52 9 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Ok got the next batch in. Whoever wants 50 or 100 let me know.
Mike O were they what you expected?
Ken

Ken, they are exactly what I expected. Your comparison picture sold me on them - new with just the right coloring that matches so much better than the new repros. No offense to the repros.

#59 9 years ago

Keep in mind, I believe this is an NOS Bally post. It is different than a Gottlieb post. The facet edges are ever so slightly less crisp. And there is a short flange ring on top of the post. But being a faceted post of similar appearance, the coloring is great and goes great in a Gottlieb game.

#75 9 years ago

Just to stir the pot - I only posted the comment that I did for the very reason that I am an anal collector. Ken and I had a long conversation about the specific makeup of these posts because I wanted to know if they were Gottlieb or Bally. I still bought 100 of them and am thankful I have them in reserve.

Other than that its only pinball.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I leaned this the hard way...and they WEREN'T compatible. Too freakin' short! >=|

A Williams ring/rod should work on a Gottlieb game up to about 1977. Only after that did the Gottlieb ring/rod get 1/8" longer. It helps to let PBR know which game specifically you are ordering for for this very reason.

#81 9 years ago

I'm just impressed we turned a thread about playfield posts into a hot topic(burning flame image) on Pinside. We must be pretty damn important.

1 week later
#105 9 years ago

Ken, you crack me up. Couldn't hold onto enough for yourself?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-repro-plastic-posts?tu=mikeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.