New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 250406)

White Drop Targets on Jumping Jack / Jack in the Box

By leckmeck

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MikeO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

GottliebCircus80Drops.jpg
eBay Auction (resized).jpg
JitB Flyer (resized).jpg
JJ Flyer (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

On eBay right now there’s a set of three clown-face drop targets for sale, but the base color is white—instead of yellow—which I have not seen before.

ebay.com link » Gottlieb Used Play Field Drop Targets Blue Clown Face Match Your Other Targets

I don’t think Gottlieb used these clown-face drop targets on any other game besides JJ/JitB. Every single photograph of these games I have ever seen has yellow as a base color for the drop targets.

So I went to look at the flyers for these games. In both of them, the drop targets are white! Jumping Jack was released three months after Jack in the Box, so I can’t imagine it’s a fluke.

I emailed PBR to ask them about this mystery. Anybody here care to share their insight?

Auction
Jumping Jack Flyer
Jack in the Box Flyer

#2 1 year ago

Mine are yellow and look original.

#3 1 year ago

A friend says he thinks the flyers show sample games, and they must have switched the color for the production run. Even though they were released three months apart, both of these game model numbers are sequential (339, 340) and appeared in the engineering department together at the same time in January of 1972.

#4 1 year ago

I was an operator at the time that these games came out. I got to see one of the Jack In The Box sample games at its test location and I can attest that the sample games had white drop targets with the clown design.
.................David Marston

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

I don’t think Gottlieb used these clown-face drop targets on any other game besides JJ/JitB.

Not so. Gottlieb later used the white variation of these drop targets on Circus (1980); perhaps that's what the eBay drops are originally out of?

GottliebCircus80Drops.jpg
#6 1 year ago
Quoted from SonicZone:

Not so. Gottlieb later used the white variation of these drop targets on Circus (1980); perhaps that's what the eBay drops are originally out of?[quoted image]

Good catch. I forgot about Circus.

Well, the mystery appears to be solved. Thanks all for your insights!

#7 1 year ago

I suspect, to truly close this topic, that the back of the targets would have to be compared with others of the discussed eras. The design of the back of the targets evolved between JJ/JitB and System 1/System 80.

My gut tells me those are JJ/JitB targets.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 200.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maple Street Sign Shop
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Cabinet - Toppers
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 30.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 122.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside