Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    23326713f7869ea41fc8212d92785a51 (resized).jpg
    wcastle28 (resized).jpg
    o (resized).jpg
    wc nb (resized).JPG
    wc 50 (resized).jpg
    wc (resized).jpg
    IMG_3918 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2659.JPG
    1534557590113731563152686935720 (resized).jpg
    White_Castle_Meat_Patty_Thick_as_a_Quarter (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Harold-and-Kumar (resized).jpg
    There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

White Castle with my best bud in the 80's...or 70's!
    [quoted image]

That's a great picture, Ted. I miss those old slider boxes!

#52 5 years ago

Here's a question to all WC fans. How many sliders have you consumed in one sitting? I hit 10 a couple times over the years.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Here's a question to all WC fans. How many sliders have you consumed in one sitting? I hit 10 a couple times over the years.

In my college days my standard order was a 10 sack of sliders and a large fry. If I was really hungry I'd add a sack of chicken rings as well. Can't say that I can eat or drink like that anymore though!

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

That's a great picture, Ted. I miss those old slider boxes!

Back then, there were bag bottom cards with WC trivia. My favorite was the one showing the holes in the patties. It said: "The holes are extra" an described how it costs the company money to punch the holes but it results in a better tasting burger and bun. Also, there used to be copies of the WC House Organ employee newsletter booklets in the stainless steel racks by every door in the older, 3rd generation large restaurants.
    Good stuff.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

shit your pants multiball

That would be awesome!

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:Back then, there were bag bottom cards with WC trivia. My favorite was the one showing the holes in the patties. It said: "The holes are extra" an described how it costs the company money to punch the holes but it results in a better tasting burger and bun. Also, there used to be copies of the WC House Organ employee newsletter booklets in the stainless steel racks by every door in the older, 3rd generation large restaurants.
    Good stuff.

Interesting! Could have sworn I read somewhere that the purpose was to help them cook faster.

Either way, Love me some belly bombers from time to time.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Interesting! Could have sworn I read somewhere that the purpose was to help them cook faster.

Yes the holes make it so they don’t have to flip the patty for it to fully cook.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

I used to pick up some Krystal burgers on my way back home from college to watch Vanna White on Wheel Of Fortune in the early 80's. It was 6 burgers and fries.

#59 5 years ago

I miss the old days at White Castle....they used to have a jukebox selector mounted to the wall. I remember many times where I'd put a dime in the jukebox so I had tunes to listen to while waiting on my order. As a kid, I remember there would always be a line at least 10 people long as soon as you walked inside to place your order.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Yes, also true. I forgot aboot that. It was also on those cards. Krystal, while the same size buns & burgers, do not have the five holes.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hell Yes! Is it still there?

Sure is. Back in the 80's we used to hit the Time Out arcade at the Sunrise Mall next door and then that White Castle after the mall closed for the night.

#62 5 years ago

We lived about block away from the local WC when I was a kid and back then my money was short all the time so those 12 cent burgers were the shit!!!

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Sure is. Back in the 80's we used to hit the Time Out arcade at the Sunrise Mall next door and then that White Castle after the mall closed for the night.

My wife worked at the mall,
    and I found my first old pin, a jigsaw, at the drive in flea market.
    Were you around for LEGZ and Malibu?, solomon grundys?

#64 5 years ago

And don't forget, when I first went (WC in North Bergen, NJ) ...you ate outside in your car...and girls brought out the trays on roller skates!
    ....and the most I ever ate was 10.

wc (resized).jpgwc (resized).jpg

I think this is the one I went to...and about the correct age!

wc 50 (resized).jpgwc 50 (resized).jpg
    #65 5 years ago

FYI

Original White Castle built in the 1930's located in North Bergen, NJ, taken circa 1993 before it was replaced by a modern one to the right. This building just disappeared one day, nothing was left behind, making me wonder if it was dissembled and moved away, as these buildings were designed to come apart. (the reason was once they became successful early on, land owners started raising rents on their land, and so WC designed a take-down design to give their francises some bargining power! they were also fire-proof, being enameled steel)

wc nb (resized).JPGwc nb (resized).JPG

o (resized).jpgo (resized).jpg
    #66 5 years ago

More info you crave!!

We were raised on them! Many of us have parents that also went to North thus White Castles are truly in our blood. They are our heritage.

White Castle #4, one of the six originals in Columbus, was built on High Street, at the foot of Arcadia Avenue, in 1929. It immediately became North High student’s favorite sandwich and hang out. After all, they were not only very convenient but affordable at 5¢ each.

Contrary to the belief of many, the White Castle chain was not founded in Columbus. In 1921, Waldo “Billy” Ingram and Walter Anderson, who remained partners for 13 years, borrowed $700 and opened a little hamburger stand in Wichita, Kansas. They named it White (to signify purity) Castle (to represent strength, permanence and stability.) The square burgers, which were steamed on a bed of onions and topped with pickles, were already very popular when the corporate headquarters was moved to Ohio’s capital city in 1934. White Castle had become the first fast-food chain in history.

The building design was modeled after the Chicago Water Tower, the lone survivor of the famous 1871 fire. The interior of the building was a hygienic white and stainless steel. The employees, called “the crew,” were immaculate in white uniforms.

At that time hamburger had the reputation of being unsafe meat. Ingram was determined to prove his product was healthy. In the early years, the burgers were not only cooked in full view of the customers, the high-grade beef was even ground in front of them. In 1931 they began to use frozen patties to assure high quality.

The ‘40’s were difficult for the company due to the rationing of not only the coffee that they had become so well known for, but also hamburger and Coke. White Castles were downsized and the price was raised to 7¢ and then 10¢. It was in 1949 that an employee discovered that if five holes were put in, the patties cooked faster, more evenly, and there was no need to turn them over. Thus they became the little burgers that we know today.

In the late 1950’s customers began calling them Slyders. It wasn’t until five years ago that the company officially adopted the name and began using it in their advertising.

By 1987, Slyders became so popular that people all over the country were clamoring for them. They had been flown from coast to coast. It was just natural to satisfy the country’s appetite by freezing them to sell at grocery stores.

Three different White Castle buildings have stood at 2725 N. High Street. The first one was there from 1929 until 1951. It’s replacement existed until 1986 when it was moved to Green’s Heritage Museum in Orient, Ohio and the current building opened. Although a number of the Columbus buildings have been replaced and updated in the last few years, at the moment, there are no plans to replace “our” building.

There have been many changes in the menu over the years. There are French fries (since 1945), onion chips, clam strips, mozzarella sticks, chicken rings, many different drinks in addition to coffee and Coke. Of course, since 1962 you have been able to have cheese put on your burger, but many of us still remain White Castle purists and order the original. There is nothing like a Snyder to satisfy your “crave.”
    (PHOTO: A new larger White Castle arrived by truck to replace the restaurant at 2725 N. High St. in 1984. (Picture given by Katheleen O'Keefe Crawford '73)

wcastle28 (resized).jpgwcastle28 (resized).jpg
    #67 5 years ago
    Quoted from sulakd:

Haaaaaapy Friday yo!
    [quoted image]

Looks like those sliders come with more cardboard than meat.

#69 5 years ago

I may be speaking out of turn but a White Castle pin, Jack Danger approves!

#70 5 years ago

We already have a White Castle pin.

Buy a Supreme pin. Remove all the red crap. Only a White Pin remains.

Done.

LTG : )

#71 5 years ago
    23326713f7869ea41fc8212d92785a51 (resized).jpg23326713f7869ea41fc8212d92785a51 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #72 5 years ago
    s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
    There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/white-castle-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.