Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jimy_speedt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Untitled (resized).png
9125AA61-CF00-4579-BBB4-1E6109F921D6 (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

Hi,

Before digging too far into the problem, I would be glad to get a confirmation (or not) of an assumption.

On the triac board (see pic):
- Input 25 Vdc connector j1, corresponds to sol24
- Input 26 Vac on connector j2 violet wires come from the Aux power driver board
- Output 26 Vac connector j3 violet wires go to the blower

The 26Vac goes from j2 to j3 provided the triac gate is actuated. The gate is triggered by U1 receiving its input from j1, defined as solenoid 24. I presume that when sol 24 transistor (Q4) grounds the circuit, the gate is actuated.

At machine start (blower not activated), the red wire of j1 measures 30 Vdc, the gray/red close to 0. Here I am surprised ! I would expect the same voltage as the red wire. So when the blower must be started, the transistor Q4 grounds the circuit. The same 0 value is measured on its originating pin of j5 (sound overlay solenoid board).

If I measure the wire gray/orange (flasher sol 23) on j5 of the sound ovl solenoid board, I get about 30vdc.

My first question is: should’nt I measure 30vdc on the gray/red wire of J1 on the triac board at game start ?

Any help is welcome

Thank you

9125AA61-CF00-4579-BBB4-1E6109F921D6 (resized).jpeg

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

The 26Vac goes from j1 to j3 provided the triac gate is actuated.

No, the 26Vac goes from J2 to J3 when the triac gate is actuated...or is this a schematic typo?

I think as far as not seeing the voltage you expect on the solenoid trigger wire is because of the MOC 3030. Your solenoid is connected to pin 2 of the optically isolated zero crossing, which (internally) is the cathode of a light emitting diode. All he wants to see is a ground from the solenoid trigger to throw it into current conduction.

Untitled (resized).png

#3 2 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

I corrected connectors ids, I had swapped them when explaining.

Initially r2 was « burned » I replaced it, the black capacitor, triac and now I have replaced U1. I have verified the continuity of the 4 relevant pins. No better behaviour, so I decided to have a look backward.

Regarding your explanation, I understand it. Thank you for the details.

Regarding the initial value of the sol 24 driver pin on j1, I find it strange to get 0.2vdc. And 0,6vdc stable when I trigger sol 24 in test mode, from the coin door.

I presume I have to know first which initial value is expected for the sol 24 driver pin, then if zero is crossed when sol 24 is triggerered, no ? For the moment I cannot say if what I get as input on j1 is correct or not.

Thanks

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Hi,
Thanks for your reply,
I corrected connectors ids, I had swapped them when explaining.
Initially r2 was « burned » I replaced it, the black capacitor, triac and now I have replaced U1. I have verified the continuity of the 4 relevant pins. No better behaviour, so I decided to have a look backward.
Regarding your explanation, I understand it. Thank you for the details.
Regarding the initial value of the sol 24 driver pin on j1, I find it strange to get 0.2vdc. And 0,6vdc stable when I trigger sol 24 in test mode, from the coin door.
I presume I have to know first which initial value is expected for the sol 24 driver pin, then if zero is crossed when sol 24 is triggerered, no ? For the moment I cannot say if what I get as input on j1 is correct or not.
Thanks

I see. I wish I had the game, then I could tell you what to expect to see on your measurements. I do have to ask if you have looked at the bottom of the board with a magnifying glass to make certain there are no cracks in any of the through holes, and if you jumpered past the triac board to check if the fan is working. Beyond that, there's probably not much I can help with.

#5 2 years ago

Good advice to jumper the board also I could move a flasher driver wire to the blower connector pin and see if it works. Thanks

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

also I could move a flasher driver wire to the blower connector pin and see if it works. Thanks

You can't do that because the blower iAC!

#7 2 years ago

On game power up 30 vac at j2 .In test mode with coil 24 energized j1 has 38 Vdc and j3 reading of 30 Vac. The blower motor windings read 1.1 ohm

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You can't do that because the blower iAC!

The blower stays AC, but I just change the vdc sol which triggers the blower

Quoted from pintime:

On game power up 30 vac at j2 .In test mode with coil 24 energized j1 has 38 Vdc and j3 reading of 30 Vac. The blower motor windings read 1.1 ohm

Thanks, do both wires of j1 read 38vdc in « not energized » mode ?

#9 2 years ago

The problem is solved.

I have to admit, I have been dummy on this one.

I started from the idea that R2 was out, because it was measuring 67r instead of 470r. But there is a continuity between the triac lugs (on the triac board schematic), the resistance is lower than the one of R2, hence it is the resistance displayed on the dmm. When I unsolder one lug, I get the expected ohms between R2 ends. So I made useless part replacements on the triac board.

I should have paid attention to the unexpected values of Vdc wires of J1. Zero crossing was never reached because components on the sound overlay solenoid board were touching each others, inducing a voltage loss.

After moving the transistor in the right position, I have obtained the good voltages and Q4 grounds properly.

Thanks for the help

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Sale Pending!
Gardner, MA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside