40%

(60 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0635 (resized).JPG
#1 22 days ago

Whirlwind Vs. The Getaway wich one its your pick?

#2 22 days ago

Depends on what you like. Getaway is a lower-end DMD based upon a good lay out while Whirlwind is a high end Alpha Numeric with a great layout. I personally like the code and shots better in Whirlwind.

#3 22 days ago

Whirlwind would be a no brainer pick between the 2 for me.

#4 22 days ago

It's really hard not to love both, but for the same money and condition, I'd pick Whirlwind. It just has such good shots, rules, music, and art.

#5 21 days ago

I have both. If I had to part with one then I feel like I'd let Whirlwind go. I enjoy Whirlwind a tad more than The Getaway but when I have people over so far they've been gravitating toward The Getaway.

#6 21 days ago

Stop n Go vs Flow is what it comes down to.
I love both games, but I will say the spinning discs on WW annoy me a bit taking up so much of the playfield where a nice Getaway with flat inserts is a fast time indeed.

#7 21 days ago

Hmmm, be whirled away in a windstorm by a tornado or cruise around leading a highspeed pursuit with cop cars and helicopters in the rear view mirror and the windows down in your Lambo with tunes blasting. I think the choice is clear.

Seriously, I'm partial because I own a Getaway. I enjoy playing Whirlwind but to me a quality Getaway is my personal choice. Add a PinSound (and a shaker) to the game and you have literally dozens of musical theme options for the game that keep things fresh. Also, there's nothing else in pinball quite like a well-tuned supercharger. The ball flow is fast and smooth with minimal stops in play (when you lock a ball and when you are looping around in the supercharger).
IMG_0635 (resized).JPGIMG_0635 (resized).JPG

#8 21 days ago

Whirlwind>High Speed>Getaway

#9 21 days ago

Whirlwind is great,
But Getaway has one of the best moments in pinball with red line mania: beacon flashing, multiple balls in turbocharger, piling up super jackpots.

HS2 gets my vote.

#10 21 days ago

If you play pinball alot and are a tournament guy? Whirlwind!

If you "gee, wouldn't it be neat if we had a pinball machine" guy? Gettaway. Gettaway is more fun to look at and listen to. Whirlwind is more fun to play if you know what you are doing.

Both are great pins. For me Whirlwind is one of the best.

#11 21 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

If you play pinball alot and are a tournament guy? Whirlwind!
If you "gee, wouldn't it be neat if we had a pinball machine" guy? Gettaway. Gettaway is more fun to look at and listen to. Whirlwind is more fun to play if you know what you are doing.
Both are great pins. For me Whirlwind is one of the best.

Your points about Gettaway begett a reasonable conclusion and I gett it. One's budgett might play a factor depending on the game being targetted. Ultimately, don't forgett that both have great pinball nuggetts in them and plenty of widgetts and gadgettry. You certainly won't regrett purchasing either, as both are easier to stomach than eating your vegettables.

#12 21 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Your points about Gettaway begett a reasonable conclusion and I gett it. One's budgett might play a factor depending on the game being targetted. Ultimately, don't forgett that both have great pinball nuggetts in them and plenty of widgetts and gadgettry. You'll certainly won't regrett purchasing either, as both are certainly easier to stomach than eating your vegettables.

Just sttop already!

…and I disagree with Santa on the competitive player vs ‘gee. wouldn’t it be fun to have a pin’. Don’t dumb HS2 down like that!

#13 21 days ago

They made about twice as many Getaways, so that one is so much easier to own.

Getaway is more fun, so if the choice is just which one to play I would choose Getaway.

But if you’re talking about both these games sitting before me for sale, I would buy Whirlwind.

#14 21 days ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Stop n Go vs Flow is what it comes down to.

Whirlwind is not at all "stop-and-go." It has a nice orbit shot through the pops, an upper loop that can be repeated (a la shadow), and a super tricky 3 way combo that feels like an early picard maneuver. The game is smooth as butter. One of his best shooters, imo.

#15 21 days ago
Quoted from curban:

Just sttop already!

You expect me to be apollogettic?

#16 21 days ago

owned both, was bored with getaway after about 50 games still got whirlwind.

#17 21 days ago

Getaway was my first pin and I really liked it. Once I started playing tournaments and became a much better player I started appreciating more difficult games like Whirlwind. I’d choose Whirlwind as it’s a deeper game and easier to trade away later.

#18 21 days ago

Both games certainly have a following:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Dang! I just realized I've made 17% of the posts in the Getaway thread. Not sure what that says about me, but it was my only pin for several years after I got into the hobby and was learning everything I could.

#19 21 days ago

I would go somewhere, to play a Getaway.

I would buy a Whirlwind.

#20 21 days ago

My Getaway has been nailed to the floor since 2011. Non-pinheads and kids love the fast action, Red Line Mania and the supercharger.
The pinheads tend to love Whirlwind the last 6 years its been here, due to its select shots and layout.
I've kept both because they each scratch a particular pinball itch. Don't deny yourself - get BOTH!

#21 21 days ago

Own Whirlwind but it doesn’t get much love from me these days. This is pretty subjective, but for me Getaway also has more staying power (at least in a larger than small collection).

I have played both quite a bit and also believe Getaway is a superior tournament game FWIW (plays shorter being the biggest reason, but also as long as the random mystery awards are off at the scoop it feels more fair somehow)

#22 21 days ago

I have both on location. Whirlwind gets little love. Of the 34 games I'm routing, it's in dead last. Getaway is probably in the top 40%.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-vs-the-getaway- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.