New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 59583)

Whirlwind vs. Fishtales

By Blackbeard

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mato
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Guys, I have a nice whirlwind that I play a lot. Contemplating a fishtales though.

What's the better game in your opinion? How would a one for one trade work out?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

I have both. They are both among my favorites, but are very different games. Ft has longer ball times and more flow. Ww is more punishing with inconsistent ball times and scores. Ft is easier and is a nice follow up after ww has kicked my butt for 20 minutes. It is a matter of taste,but I like the sounds on ft and I think the dots are great. Ft rules are not too deep, but offer enough challenge to keep you busy chasing multiballs and jackpots.

Hard to say which is better - I like we for the challenge and I like ft for the longer ball times and sounds and dots. Hopefully, this gives you some info to help you decide. I would try to keep the ww and pick up an ft to add to it.

#4 7 years ago

Both great games, and really sort of polar opposites in terms of gameplay (for modern games, anyhow.)

Are you looking to trade your Whirlwind towards a Fish Tales? Where are you located?

#5 7 years ago

Well someone had posted about a FT, etc., and I wondered about my ww. I'm in between Erie pa and buffalo ny

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Well someone had posted about a FT, etc., and I wondered about my ww. I'm in between Erie pa and buffalo ny

Was my posting. PM sent!

#7 7 years ago

Even trade but I don't think I'd be willing to get rid of one to get the other. That's the proverbial robbing Peter to pay Paul scenario right there.

#8 7 years ago

Fish tales vote for me

#9 7 years ago

WW hands down for me. I wouldn't mind a fish tales but wouldn't give up my WW for it.

#10 7 years ago

They are both awesome games, but Whirlwind is tops here.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

They are both awesome games, but Whirlwind is tops here.

That just means you need to come play more fish tales. come over any time.

#13 7 years ago

I own a ww and wouldn't trade it for a ft. Ft is fun but not on the same level as ww.

#14 7 years ago

I tend not to care too much for Lawlor games, but I really love Whirlwind. It's a great game.

I'd take that over Fish Tales, which is really more my 'style'.

It's inexplicable to me....

2 weeks later
#15 7 years ago

Bumping and old thread. I would like to hear more opinions on this. I am considering both machines and don't know which way to go.

#16 7 years ago

I like FT but prefer and bought a WW.

#17 7 years ago

Do what I did and get them both. You won't regret it!

#18 7 years ago

l'm in the minority here, but l just don't get the hype and appeal to WW, and l'm a huge lawlor fan-and this was one of the first pins l grew up playing.
lt's a good game but not a great one imho. l find it very easy, except for the siren combo.

On the other hand, FT is a great pin. lt's fast, fun, and always challenging to get your super jackpots and fish caught. l'd take a FT easily over a WW.

#19 7 years ago

WhirlWind. I like me some FT no doubt, but I don't need to own it.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Whirlwind. I like me some FT no doubt, but I don't need to own it.

I feel exactly the same at TheLaw about it. WW was the third machine we got back in 2005 and over the years we have upgraded to nicer ones, but never went without one. Fish Tales was here for a while, but it left after only a few months when something better came along.

There is one on location closeby so if I have the urge (every few months) I can go play it.

#21 7 years ago

I own both and in my opinion FT>WW. Those of you saying FT is easy don't have it set up right. It can be brutal.

#22 7 years ago

FishTales for sure. Had a Whirlwind, nice Lawlor Pin. Just didn't hold my interest. Now if you compare No Good Gofers to FishTales, that's a different story.

#23 7 years ago

Fish tales.... love that game!

#24 7 years ago

fish tales may get boring after a while good game tho, but whirlwind is better just by a bees dick

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside