3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jmckune
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jmckune.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

So I got a project whirlwind and it’s pretty much together. I’ve had an issue with the top drop target which I’m pretty sure is some kind of wiring issue. So I’m test mode initially the top drop would register but it would go crazy by repeatedly triggering and in gameplay would do nothing. I re soldered the opto legs and the connector pin legs and now it’s staying on steady in test. However when triggered during gameplay nothing happens until all 3 of the targets on the feel the power drop targets have been hit at which point it will give the award for both the 3 bank and the single drop and they will both then reset. Where is a good place to look for the issue? All of these targets share the same (yellow-green) column. Should I be checking for a row wire or maybe even a diode on the 3 bank board?

#2 3 years ago

Does this sound more like a diode issue or a wiring issue? It seems unlikely a diode would break on the board but I can see one maybe breaking on the standup directly before the top drop target. This would make me think all the switches in the column would have issues though. Would a downstream diode cause an upstream switch to have no reaction until all 3 of those switches were triggered?

#3 3 years ago

Bump: any Switch matrix experts to maybe lead me in the right direction? I haven’t seen how the two drop target banks interact in test mode but in test, the upper target registers correctly, in gameplay it will not register or reset until the 3 bank target has been dropped at which point the game awards points and or extra ball for the upper target register and then they both reset. Not at exactly same time it’s independent coil firing but very close together

#4 3 years ago

... anyone have any idea? At least able to confirm if it’s a row short or a diode issue? I’m leaning towards diode because the switch is registering properly in test but only registers in game once all 3 switches in the 3 bank are knocked down.

1 week later
#5 3 years ago

Ended up being a flakey opto. Replaced and fixed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jmckune.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-top-drop-target-issue?tu=Jmckune and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.