(Topic ID: 200408)

Whirlwind system 11 - suddenly won't boot (semi-fixed)

By toyotaboy

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aux_board2 (resized).jpg
aux_board1 (resized).jpg
back_interface_board (resized).jpg
front_interface_board (resized).jpg
INTERCONNECT BOARD (resized).jpg
CONNECTOR_BURNT (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Ok, so I've had this machine for over a year, really reliable. About a month ago I go to boot, display garbled then blank, won't boot. I look at battery, see a little bit corossion on one tab, I think "oh crap, knew I should have put in a remote battery holder". I take an MPU from my space station, same thing. Move my power supply over to see if it's that, same thing still no displays . So reading up it seems all I need is IJ17 connector for it to boot. Unplug everything but that connector, still won't boot. Moved the power supply and MPU back to space station to make sure those didn't blow up from whatever is causing the issue, boots fine.

Right now it makes a constant tone at boot, the 5v is on solid, the blanking LED flashes quickly once, the diagnostics never flashes. All fuses check out.

So if I know my CPU is good, power supply is good, wouldn't it at least boot? Only thing I can think of that's left is that the game rom (s) went bad. Would it be worth buying new ones to replace as a quick fix?

#2 6 years ago

Side question: Obviously I moved the sound / game roms over when testing, but could I put the space station game roms in whirlwind to see if it would boot? Obviously it would have the wrong game code, but could it get it to at least boot?

#5 6 years ago

Ok so I tried moving the game roms over, didn't fix it. Put space station roms back in it's own game, roms still working. Put whirlwind roms back in, now I'm getting the proper LED's (5v on, blanking on, diagnostics blinking), normal booting, still no displays. Plug everything back in, it's for sure booting to attract mode, can't start a game, still no display. Thinking about swapping the display from space station to see if it did indeed go bad, and perhaps there's a error code displaying I'm not seeing?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

On the display issue, check your input voltagage as it was stated above.

I'll have to check tomorrow, too late in the night to muck around. Looks like I'm checking pin 1&3 on 3J2 connector:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-bullet-proofing-thread#post-1539683

The display in my space station is a rottendog, which means low voltage (IE won't use the 100v).

try swapping over your 26 pin ribbon cable

I did try this, didn't help

#10 6 years ago

So put my display in from space station, everything is lit up (zeros with x's in the middle). Since I know power is good, MPU is good, and I tried the space station roms, I don't know what's left other than maybe testing the thermistor in the power box.

#13 6 years ago

I don't think the displays from Space Station will work on WW. WW uses two16 digit Alpha numerical displays, and Space Station uses the four display setup. This might explain why the displays came up all garbled when you plugged them in.

Crap you're right.. I should have swapped in the one from fire! Why they would switch displays during the same system 11b is beyond me.

2 months later
#15 6 years ago

getting back into this. plugged earthshaker display in, still no display, just boots to attract mode and no game start. Checked inside the AC box, there is no MOV or thermistor installed (but the solder look clean and serviced by someone before I bought it), so I'm going to guess this isn't it if it worked fine for years. The power supply in the backbox is a newer remake board so not likely that. If I take the balls out and put back in the trough, it does kick them up.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You can't start a game because your not set up for free play. Drop some quarters in and start a game.

Now I feel dumb.. all this swapping I forgot I popped out the batteries. It starts a game now.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Why don't you get out a DMM and check for the correct voltages and blanking signal at the display

I'm not good at reading schematics, but I did find this for system 11 display:
3J5 pin 3 (Sys11A) or 3J2 pin 3 (Sys11B) = +90 to +110VDC nominal
3J5 pin 4 (Sys11A) or 3J2 pin 1 (Sys11B) = -90 to -110VDC nominal

If my voltages are low at display and power board, I guess I have 2 options:
* fix or replace the power supply
* replace the display with a 5v rottendog display

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Look at page 90 of the manual. Connector J-7, DMM set to 200 volts DC and black lead on pin 5 red to pin 6 should read 5 volts. Red lead to pin 3 should be 100 volts. Lastly red lead to pin 1 should read -100 volts. If all this checks out good then reverse both ends of the ribbon cable coming from the CPU board then retest.

almost no AC voltage at display, nor the power supply. F3 fuse checked out for continuity off the board, but it looked like it might be half burned out. Replaced the fuse, displays working again. I don't know why that popped, but I better play test it for a while to make sure. Thanks for the help!

#21 6 years ago

new issues started.. cellar coil pulses at boot, then stays locked on.. And the lower right pop bumper fires every second. Turned it off for a while, decided I would check the cellar switch to make sure that's not bad, now my displays are out again (even after replacing the fuse one more time). I'm at the point where there seems to be a cascading list of issues I can't seem to troubleshoot. Time to throw in the towel and let an expert tech figure this one out.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You got the board to boot after you change the Rom chips. I suspect a bad chip socket at one of the chips. It didn't boot with SS chips as you may have not inserted them just right for the bad socket. Then you reinstalled the WW chips and it booted good for a while, and now it's not booting again. Inspect every pin on each socket for a bad leaf or solder joint

No, it's booting.. I can start a game, but no display and the locked cellar coil and pulsing pop bumper. Also I've got the MPU from earthshaker in it right now, so can't be a board issue anymore. Those 2 coil issues were also with the previous MPU. Even swapped out the solenoid board from earthshaker just to be sure, no improvement. I haven't tried swapping out the game roms from another game again.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

What happens when 1J 8 and 1J10 connectors are removed from the CPU after you start a game?

pop bumper stops firing. while the backbox was open i noticed on the interconnect board. j4 which is flash lamps, theres a spark between pin 14 and 15. looks like im hunting down a short somewhere.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

How about a pic as the manual only shows 12 pins.

There are technically 15 pins with the one missing one, but I'm counting from pin 1

CONNECTOR_BURNT (resized).jpgCONNECTOR_BURNT (resized).jpg

INTERCONNECT BOARD (resized).jpgINTERCONNECT BOARD (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Those 2 wires are for solenoid 14 and 15. You need to remove this board and see whats up on the back side.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Maybe a screw got dropped behind the boards

no screws behind the board. Slight heat mark on back, but it's directly behind the ugly looking R4 resistor (I don't think it's a board issue, though I should replace that resistor)

front_interface_board (resized).jpgfront_interface_board (resized).jpg
back_interface_board (resized).jpgback_interface_board (resized).jpg

So I borrowed the interface board from earthshaker, though not a permanent solution because the connector for the GI lamps below the display are different on each, but I could at least install it to see what happens. So booted with other board, no spark at J4, pop bumper no longer pulsing, but now the cellar is pulsing instead (perhaps the pins are slightly different for solenoid numbers as well), so it's possible there's another coil locked on but I didn't leave it on very long just in case.

So I'm guessing it's now down to an issue under the playfield.

#33 6 years ago

ok so i removed the J4 connector from the interconnect board, display comes back, i can play a game minus the special solenoids (lower pop bumpers and cellar).

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Check Q-5 and D-16 on the aux power supply for shorts.

Looks clean on both:

aux_board1 (resized).jpgaux_board1 (resized).jpg

aux_board2 (resized).jpgaux_board2 (resized).jpg

#37 6 years ago

all diodes check out for sure. As far as I can tell so do the transistors on both boards using the meter in diode mode unless I'm testing those wrong.

#39 6 years ago

Already put the original board back in.. Tried doing a continuity test on the cellar coil switch, something didn't seem right (maybe stuck on)? Took it out, re-adjusted. The pop bumper isn't firing anymore, but the cellar coil still locks on. In switch test, it shows switch 06 as being on. Manual says that's left coin chute, but that's a different switch number.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Remove the wire from the connector 1J12 pin 7 to see if the coil stops locking on

Removing that wire, the coil still locks on.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Well then there is short to ground on the control wire or aux power supply.

Can't be power supply because I just swapped that out too just to see.. So yea, looks like I need to find a short under the playfield. Lord I hate tracing wires in bundles.

1 month later
#45 6 years ago

so I finally broke down and paid a tech to come over. The spark on the aux board deposited carbon between pins. He had to clean 4 traces and added 4 jumpers on the back. I realize I could have simply bought a new board for less, but watching a tech diagnose something is sometimes worth it.

1 year later
#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Was this the interconnect board tech fixed?

It was the driverboard.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-system-11-suddenly-wont-boot?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.