Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by bbddpp
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

My Whirlwind has had a hum for years I'd love to resolve. Years ago I added a Pinball Pro Subwoofer and speakers and it has been around since. The old power driver board was blowing fuses so I swapped with a Rottendog board. The RD board combo with the Pinball Pro seemed to bring the hum about -- I am going to go back to the old driver board folllowing an LED swap and see if the F5/F6 fuses are still blowing, I will assume BR1 needs replaced on that board.

That said, if anyone has any idea on chasing down the volume hum I'd be grateful. I read somewhere that if you turn down the pin's volume, and the hum disappears with it, it's like a grounding cable loop type issue, but all the grounding wires including the one going under the grill of the pinball pro's sub are intact and I'm not getting any voltage on the rails or anything.

Suggestions on tracking down the hum? For years I thought it was a symptom of the aftermarket driver board and the pinball pro, now today I'm just not certain anymore. Thanks for any insight.

#2 3 years ago

Different generation but my system 11 had bad speaker hum with pinball pro and Rottendog power supply board. Very annoying . Pulsed with the G.I . Lighting. Recently installed rebuilt stock board and hum went away competely.nobe at all. I was told Mosfets on Rottendog May have contributed to the hum.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for confirming. I'm in PA as well! There's a good tech locally that I am going to have move a few boards to NVRAM, may as well see if he can give some TLC to my old power board at the same time. I had a feeling it was just the Rottendog board which, ironically, doesn't blow fuses, but DOES cause the hum. At least that helps me confirm that I should have just done the right thing from the start and had the stock board repaired. Bummer that the Rottendog boards do this and they sold them anyway. Appreciate it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-system-11-speaker-hum-disappears-with-volume and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.