Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ww5 (resized).jpg
ww1 (resized).jpg
WW2 (resized).jpg
WW Discs (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi, I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust the alignment of the spinning discs in Whirlwind. As you can see from the picture, the discs are pretty far from centred in their holes on the playfield. I have no problem adjusting the height of the discs, but I'm at a loss for alignment. I'm wondering if there is a way if I take the back panel of the disc assembly off. I'm worried that the entire assembly might have to be moved, which would involve filling screw holes and drilling new pilot holes.

Anyone had this thing apart?

Cheers,

Lance

WW Discs (resized).jpgWW Discs (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I don't have the answer for you, but when I had a Whirlwind my discs were similarly uncentered. I once looked at trying to center them, but thought it would be more trouble than it was worth.

#3 7 years ago

You could drill out the mounting holes on the disk assembly making them bigger. This would give you some room to move the assembly. Be sure to use lock washers to secure.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like this may be a common issue. Has anyone attempted a solution?

As a side note, I cleaned the discs with Pinguard rubber cleaner and an electric toothbrush. See pic below. It did wonders, but there is little grip left on the stickers, so I'll still need to replace them eventually.

After cleaning
WW2 (resized).jpgWW2 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

I took Pintopia's advice and drilled out the mounting holes on the disc assembly. It was a really easy job. Didn't need to drill out too much, so I didn't need to use lock washers. I just mounted it snug but loose enough to shift it. I then aligned and tightened. It turned out great!

Assembly after holes are widened with a drill:
ww5 (resized).jpgww5 (resized).jpg

The result:
ww1 (resized).jpgww1 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-spinning-disc-alignment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.