(Topic ID: 125028)

Solved: Whirlwind special solenoids blow fuse on start up

By jmountjoy111

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Powered up the Whirlwind today and noticed that the ramp was staying in the up position and the upper pops were not firing. A quick look showed that the F3 fuse on the Aux Power board was blown. I have tried a known working board from my BK2K in the game to see if maybe I could isolate it to the board (a bridge or something like that) but it blew the fuse immediately on it as well.

I had noticed last night that the ramp would click a couple of times after it had risen. Could the relay on the up down switch have gone bad and cause this?

I appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction.

#2 9 years ago

The test report does say ramp down error but that could just be due to the fact that the ramp should drop upon start up and it is not.

#3 9 years ago

Bump to the top

#4 9 years ago

If it blew on a known working board, then the problem is in the wiring or the coils. Start testing the coils on that fuse, and check the diodes.

#5 9 years ago

I tested the coul for the ramp up/down. It shows 67 ohms which seems quite a bit high so I am assuming that is bad. The coil relay tests at 5 ohms. I am not sure if that is in the proper range or not as I have never test these relays before.

#6 9 years ago

Bumping this back to the top. I know the coil needs replaced for the ramp up/down. I removed the coil and fired up the game to see if the pops would work without it and it blew F3 instantly still. What else do I need to check.

I am not sure if the relay coil is bad or not. Is 5 ohms an acceptable reading on it?

The up/down solenoid has no diode. I have not checked the relay diode.

2 months later
#7 8 years ago

I forgot to complete this thread so I will do it now for future reference. Tip 122 transistor for the upper left pop bumper was shorted and caused the fuse to blow. Replaced the transistor and all functions properly

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-special-solenoids-blow-fuse-on-start-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.