Whirlwind sound issues (system 11)

By FrederikFrost

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hello folks!

I have a whirlwind with some sound issues, and I was hoping to hear some tips as to what I can do in order to fix it.
I will record videos of the issue next weekend.

For now a description will have to do:
The issue is rather weird. It powers up normally, gives me 1 beep as it's supposed to when everything is alright. Whenever I proceed to press Play, it will startup with normal music, but then switch to the "launch multiball" sorta music. Similarly when I shoot it to the cellar, it will play the sound it's supposed to, the rapid beeping, but then afterwards it will play the sound for the three way combo.

And the list goes on, inlanes playing the wrong sounds etc.

So basically sounds play when they are not supposed to.

Has anyone experienced this before? We checked all the flat cables, and they were fine. I went through the audio board and everything appeared to be fine. I am basically clueless.

Best regards,

Fred

#2 10 years ago

Sounds like your Sound Rom chips need to be replaced. I have had strange issues like this with a few pins, and replacing the sound roms fixed it.

#3 10 years ago

Saw one doing this and it was bad sound roms. They were not seated right and if I recall had a bent/bad pin.
Also want to check your ribbon cables and make sure they are fully seated and not off a pin or anything. If not on of those, likely a bad soundboard or CPU

Quoted from FrederikFrost:

Hello folks!
I have a Whirlwind with some sound issues, and I was hoping to hear some tips as to what I can do in order to fix it.
I will record videos of the issue next weekend.
For now a description will have to do:
The issue is rather weird. It powers up normally, gives me 1 beep as it's supposed to when everything is alright. Whenever I proceed to press Play, it will startup with normal music, but then switch to the "launch multiball" sorta music. Similarly when I shoot it to the cellar, it will play the sound it's supposed to, the rapid beeping, but then afterwards it will play the sound for the three way combo.
And the list goes on, inlanes playing the wrong sounds etc.
So basically sounds play when they are not supposed to.
Has anyone experienced this before? We checked all the flat cables, and they were fine. I went through the audio board and everything appeared to be fine. I am basically clueless.
Best regards,
Fred

#4 10 years ago

Checked the CPU, it seems to be all good.

Ribbon cables are seated fine, and tried several times. Sound roms may be it.. How much are new sound roms?

The sound went bad from one day to another, not while working on the machine. The roms didnt have bent legs (one may have now after I tried to take them off, and put them back in place... But all legs still on)

Thanks for the help so far!

#5 10 years ago

Sound ROM is $10 and Speech Rom Set is $31

http://www.thatpinballplace.com/eproms/sys11.html

#6 10 years ago

Bump! Still no video available though

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-sound-issues-system-11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.