IMG_1230 (resized).JPEG
IMG_9264 (resized).JPG
IMG_9262 (resized).JPG
IMG_9261 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_9230 (resized).JPG
IMG_9220 (resized).JPG
IMG_9225 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#207 11 months ago

Strange question: any plans to try to make the original code work as an option? Ie. You could have a menu option that would run an emulator and the original ROM on your board. Obviously you’d just have alphanumeric on the DMD, but that part shouldn’t be bad. Would be cool to be able to have BOTH in the same cabinet easily.

And since this requires your hardware (which gives you an easier time monetizing it), any plans to make the software side open source? Or will it be closed? (Trust me, to each his own on this issue, I’m just curious.)

—Donnie

1 week later
#217 11 months ago

I have a vague idea of the work you're doing, and it's amazing. Before PROC was a gleam in anyone's eye, I knew eventually we'd have game re-writes and likely be doing it on more advanced hardware. I love how it's progressing, and really look forward to this...

--Donnie

4 months later
#289 7 months ago
Quoted from applejuice:

The main thing for a restoration is all new standup targets i think and ramp rollover switches.
The other mech that is an addition for the rewrite is an auto launcher mech. If you look back at my posts you will see its a std stern autolauncher mech with williams 23-800 coil, so thats something that you will need to buy to.
On the speaker panel front, i am still deciding what to do kits wise. I am thinking at the moment of just supplying the rgb led panel and you can source a wpc wood panel yourself from doctor who era, as that has the same lamp cutouts on the bottom (7). I may look to get some blanks made if anyone is interested in helping with this. I also have to get a speaker cover plastic remade as the same as the original but to fit a wpc speaker panel and the dmd opening. I do have a lead for this, but any other suggestions welcome.

I could potentially help with CNC cut wood panels in the US, anyway (doubt it makes sense to ship these across oceans, likely can find someone to do them on each continent?).

—Donnie

#304 7 months ago

I’m in to beta!

—Donnie

#305 7 months ago

And FWIW, I do have a small CNC router that’s big enough to prototype the wood piece with, and a contact for a US shop that could likely do these for a very reasonable cost, too. Just need to find a Dr. Who one to duplicate from, I guess, which I don’t have.

—Donnie

#313 7 months ago

I’m working on getting a CNC file for the wood now and also talking to Paul at virtuapin.net about making those to sell. He already has generic WPC wood panels and even complete ones. We’re also talking about having him do a custom printed acrylic panel for the front with licensed artwork for the lamp spots, though this part seems like it’s going to be on the expensive side. He’s thinking he could do the acrylic panel for a tad under a hundred bucks if we can get 20 or more orders, and the wood panel for about $30. He sells a fairly complete speaker panel with black acrylic and all the hardware for $130, and I think an artwork version of that would hopefully be around $230 if people wanted it that way. I think you can transfer your old hardware, though, fairly easily.

—Donnie

#318 7 months ago

Mildly good news...the TAF speaker panel is the same as Doctor Who. I had thought it could be, but then thought in my head it would only have five holes. Turns out it has all seven (and has stars on each end of the THING). Should make getting one to template from a lot easier. I have a TAF, but it’s an HEP restored machine with a ColorDMD mounted in it and I don’t *really* want to take it apart if I don’t have to, so I’m poking around now to find a TAF one. I’m pretty sure I used to have a spare but sold it a while back as I’ve been though my stash and didn’t find one (I did, however, find a different alphanumeric game speaker panel with seven holes and a lamp board on it, though I’m not even sure what game it’s from).

Anyway, a small step closer.

—Donnie

#319 7 months ago

So as it turns out Paul at Virtuapin.net already does have confirmed good reproductions of the TAF panel, just didn’t have them listed on his site (Chris at High End Pins uses some of Paul’s work, including those panels). I’ll see about getting Paul to list them on his site, but it looks like we do have a US source for the wood panel now.

—Donnie

#324 7 months ago

Paul says he’ll have wood panels listed on his site available sometime next week.

Art possibilities look good!

—Donnie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djb_rh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside