IMG_9215 (resized).JPG
IMG_9213 (resized).JPG
38A413B0-0C73-4ED3-8B5A-28E76BB1E994 (resized).jpeg
878B446D-BE88-476D-AEAE-94B5B0380327 (resized).jpeg
BC36EA2C-9E87-4C12-8B17-186E73F90CF5 (resized).jpeg
31BDDEAD-28E9-442E-986C-50656F716A62 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20210328_102345 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210328_102312 (resized).jpg

There are 367 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
#351 22 days ago

Registering interest in a DIY kit please.

#352 22 days ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I'm on board.
All of the components are through hole, right?

Yes, all the parts you will need to buy and install will be through hole ones. This is how i design and make all my boards. I avoid smd parts wherever possible!

Thanks for the support and replies from everyone. I will be sending invoices over shortly.

To answer a few other things. I have made a few other products available in this way and all has worked out fine so i will keep this an option if everything works out ok. It will be great to see other like minded people putting these kits together and enjoying the upgrades. The boards are not that complicated to assemble if you take your time and split them up into sections etc. It will be up to the individual to assemble it correctly and test/check their work. I will be available via email for support. The warranty supplied for the kit will be just for the raw parts sent, as i cannot guarantee the assembly. Just common sense really. There may be an option later to make a test controller ic to check the board after assembly, but i will decide on this later.

I will be setting up a private dropbox area which i will place all the raw files and support docs etc. Anyone who purchases a barebones kit will be given access to this area. This will also include the design files and graphic files for my dmd cover plastics and wood panel. I ask people not to share these openly though and only use them for their personal game. If someone wants to resell these plastics later then i can discuss this separately.

#353 22 days ago

Im definitely in for one of the DIY kits. Im so excited to get this in my Whirlwind

#354 21 days ago

Are there any other Aussie's looking to buy a kit and want to share shipping costs?

#355 21 days ago

Got started on mine. Im almost done right? haha

PXL_20210423_123730104 (resized).jpg

#356 21 days ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Got started on mine. Im almost done right? haha
[quoted image]

Ha ha, awesome and excellent, i think you are in the lead currently!

My board assembly is progressing and i am checking the parts and updating the bom sheet with the element14/mouser parts numbers as i go.

IMG_9220 (resized).JPGIMG_9225 (resized).JPG

These photos will also be included in the dropbox area as reference for assembly etc

#357 21 days ago

Hey so to anyone looking to buy these, I was about to commit the transaction yesterday and noticed some Paypal funny business with the exchange rate: something like an additional 5% on top of the (already low/unfavorable) dollar/pround conversion. Tried to see if my CC had better direct conversion and... one does not simply figure this out apparently. Go figure.

It may end up a wash after all but I hate "surprise" and "gotcha" fees like this. I've bought records and other stuff from europe and never had this pop up (or maybe it's because the transaction is so large here it's finally obvious). Anyone have experience with this?

I know, I know, our Euro pinballer friends have it worse so I shouldn't complain... it's just the "WTF?" surprise that made me balk momentarily... I'm personally committed either way.

#358 20 days ago

Had the same thing happen. The paypal conversion fee has always been terrible. They like to get a piece of every action they can. Ive always just changed it to letting my CC do the conversion. As long as you have no foreign transaction fees, it should be way better. I used my Amazon card and the conversion rate was pretty much the same as what you can get from entering it in bing/google.

#359 20 days ago

Mhh .. from Europe to GB is no charge, only maybe a bad exchange rate but no fees.

#360 20 days ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Hey so to anyone looking to buy these, I was about to commit the transaction yesterday and noticed some Paypal funny business with the exchange rate: something like an additional 5% on top of the (already low/unfavorable) dollar/pround conversion. Tried to see if my CC had better direct conversion and... one does not simply figure this out apparently. Go figure.
It may end up a wash after all but I hate "surprise" and "gotcha" fees like this. I've bought records and other stuff from europe and never had this pop up (or maybe it's because the transaction is so large here it's finally obvious). Anyone have experience with this?
I know, I know, our Euro pinballer friends have it worse so I shouldn't complain... it's just the "WTF?" surprise that made me balk momentarily... I'm personally committed either way.

If it makes you feel any better i get charged fees on my invoices from PayPal to and its something i just have to take on the chin when running a business . I've used PayPal as a payment method for all my products for years and years (coming up 10 years now) and its still the easiest and simplest way to offer products for sale around the world. BACS transfers are just too complicated for most people and are just as expensive to. As i'm uk based all my prices are of course in £ (pounds sterling). It is what it is with exchange rates, but it is still alot lower than it was 10 years ago.

By offering these self build kits i've halved the cost for purchase with the exchange rate and you can source the remaining parts in your local country at better prices hopefully. If you don't want to buy in then its ok, there is no pressure.

#361 20 days ago

Next build pic

IMG_9230 (resized).JPG

#362 20 days ago

I just realized that i need one of these.
pasted_image (resized).png

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/SparkFun/TOL-13114

My lead bends are never great.

#363 20 days ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

[quoted image]

That is gonna be very useful

#364 20 days ago
Quoted from applejuice:

If it makes you feel any better i get charged fees on my invoices from PayPal to and its something i just have to take on the chin when running a business...
By offering these self build kits i've halved the cost for purchase with the exchange rate and you can source the remaining parts in your local country at better prices hopefully. If you don't want to buy in then its ok, there is no pressure.

Oh we get the PayPal grift stateside too... all kinds of horror stories and you're right, there's no such thing as a free ride. I've had to take my lumps selling online similarly! I just never noticed the currency exchange fee before. It wasn't a deal-breaking amount (20 quid) but its appearance made me go "huh?"

Anyway, I am indeed very grateful and excited for the more affordable and fun DIY option. And I'm paid up now, so cheers and I can't wait (but take your time, I'm not trying to rush greatness)...

#365 20 days ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

[quoted image]

Dammit all the stuff I order from Mouser and I never thought to look for one of those! OTOH it seems like something I've probably thrown away as scrap at one time or another...

#366 20 days ago

You can totally 3d print one. There are a bunch of them on thingiverse.

#367 14 days ago

REV2 board assembled

IMG_9264 (resized).JPGIMG_9261 (resized).JPGIMG_9262 (resized).JPG

There are 367 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside